robc22

Striped bass are a stupid fish......

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

In a stupid fishery managed by stupid regs..........

 

Just let the guys........Shore or boat bound fill their quota

 

When are you all gonna learn the more you regulate something the worse it gets?

 

Crime is our government's best friend.......The more crime there is the more money they make

 

Judges, cops, clerks, lawyers all make money off stupid regs like these and the common joe always suffers

 

Just harvest the damn fish in reasonable numbers and be done with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, years of crime and irresponsibility on the part of the anglers has led to this. It sucks for people who’ve always done it right, but that’s been blown to hell by the new exploitative crowd, and by extension the sh*tbirds who support them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, robc22 said:

In a stupid fishery managed by stupid regs..........

 

Just let the guys........Shore or boat bound fill their quota

 

When are you all gonna learn the more you regulate something the worse it gets?

 

Crime is our government's best friend.......The more crime there is the more money they make

 

Judges, cops, clerks, lawyers all make money off stupid regs like these and the common joe always suffers

 

Just harvest the damn fish in reasonable numbers and be done with it

Really?  What are reasonable numbers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Really?  What are reasonable numbers? 

Well that depends on the biomass but i would like to see a lower quota than we have now. When the min. length was 36 we could fish everyday until it was closed. There was hardly any commercial poaching and no gray market fish at all. 

When the season is closed as a comm. guy you move on to the next fishery to make your pay.

These same part time comm. guys that have ruined the bass fishery also put a hurt on the BFT fishery with their stupid, greedy demands 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wonder how this slot limit will work out or if one over 36” is a better route for recs. 

Edited by Reed422

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, robc22 said:

These same part time comm. guys that have ruined the bass fishery also put a hurt on the BFT fishery

Excluding this season (and the shaky covid market), the number of boats fishing inshore for tuna has exploded. Not only has this led to serious crowding on the water, but the market has been flooded. This has driven the price way way down, except for those boats who happen to hook a fat-riddled fish.. and then are committed to pristine handling and processing.

 

Back in the day, when boats were few and the yen was high, captains made legitimate bank on this fish. Nowadays? lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, rst3 said:

Excluding this season (and the shaky covid market), the number of boats fishing inshore for tuna has exploded. Not only has this led to serious crowding on the water, but the market has been flooded. This has driven the price way way down, except for those boats who happen to hook a fat-riddled fish.. and then are committed to pristine handling and processing.

 

Back in the day, when boats were few and the yen was high, captains made legitimate bank on this fish. Nowadays? lol 

My question.

 

If all this is true, and I have no reason to believe it's not,  then why aren't local markets awash in high quality tuna?  As in the case with lobsters.  People will buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's a good question, Bob. And one I can't answer well.  Perhaps someone else more familiar with the dealer side of the equation can.

 

Best guess I can offer on the quality angle is that many captains -- weekend warriors esp -- aren't up to speed on the best practices to deliver the highest grade fish from hook to dock. That's where it counts. Ultimately, you can't choose what bites(thin v fat), but you can keep whatever is landed at its maximum grade.

 

As for price and availability? I know last summer when most capts were getting a cpl bucks a pound, that didn't completely translate to el-cheapo BFT at the fish counter. Some places dropped their prices a good bit, but others not that much. So who's making the dollars? Certainly wasn't the captains.

 

As far as availability, total guess here: but when it comes to steaks, many consumers may(?) prefer the milder taste of yellowfin over the stronger tasting BFT. If so, fish markets may also have a steady supply of YFT for the steak crowd, while BFT remains more of a niche purchase that many consumers aren't sold on to date. So the markets may not offer much BFT, even when it is readily available.

 

Edit: one thing I can add is that I think the most common domestic destination for BFT is restaurants--not fish markets. So even when the market is flooded and it's cheap, restaurants have just been buying up most of the available product. Under normal economic(non-covid) conditions, there may only be enough BFT under the quota to satisfy the demands of restaurants. That's why there may not be enough extra floating around to end up in Market Basket or Shaws

Edited by rst3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Fishingboston said:

Bft prices been **** since last yr. Cant compete with Australian farmers

This has been my concern since the BFT farms started ramping up production. Pretty sure every tuna that gets pulled from the pen is choice and riddled with fat. Plus they're processed immediately. Contrast that with skinny summer Boston tuna that might bake in the sun on deck awhile...

 

By the time our tuna fatten up in the fall, there's very little of the yearly quota left. Most of it is wasted on low grade summer fish that are simply outclassed in today's market, well supplied by high-grade farmed fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, rst3 said:

This has been my concern since the BFT farms started ramping up production. Pretty sure every tuna that gets pulled from the pen is choice and riddled with fat. Plus they're processed immediately. Contrast that with skinny summer Boston tuna that might bake in the sun on deck awhile...

 

By the time our tuna fatten up in the fall, there's very little of the yearly quota left. Most of it is wasted on low grade summer fish that are simply outclassed in today's market, well supplied by high-grade farmed fish.

What's the point of landing giants now? I've heard dealers are turning people away. This fish place I follow on fb seems to have no problem selling bft at 20lb maybe more quality fish staying stateside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing(?) there's a bunch of better fish in the domestic market this year. Normally the best fish would go to Japan, but with overseas cargo flights severely limited... I think more quality fish are staying stateside. That may at least partially account for the higher prices you're seeing. Other than that, I have no idea why market tuna would be pricey right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rst3 said:

I'm guessing(?) there's a bunch of better fish in the domestic market this year. Normally the best fish would go to Japan, but with overseas cargo flights severely limited... I think more quality fish are staying stateside. That may at least partially account for the higher prices you're seeing. Other than that, I have no idea why market tuna would be pricey right now.

Back in the day everyone waited until fall to tuna fish. The fish were in great shape, the working day was shorter and the fish harvested for some good money. It's called utilizing a natural resource in a proper manner.

 

Then Mr white boat guy decided he would rather fish in the warm weather. Flat summer seas made it easy for his trophy wife to sunbathe on the bow and his cocktail glass never got spilled.

 

Tons of junk fish harvested in july and august..........BTW I hate deadliest catch and wicked tuna..........buncha drama queens.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were just about the fish, they would make it a game fish, unlawful to sell for consumption. Like most things, it all comes down to $$ and self serving politicians and officials. You want justice, it doesn't exist and its getting worse. 

 

Watched them manage the striped bass from a 50 lb. to a 15 lb. trophy. Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.