Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sam3631

Rod for Party Boat Fluke & Blues

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm a surf guy for last 3 years.  Not much fishing experience before that.  Fish OC out front.

Don't know if this is right place for this post so please move if necessary.  Thanks.

Went on my first party boat trip with my son yesterday.  Fun trip, some small fish caught, afternoon trip for fluke out of PP.  No keepers, but close once. 

Question - Is there a good, light rod for NJ party boat fluking and blues at day or night?    My son was into it so I want to bring him again.  I've brought him to the surf several times but hasn't caught anything.  Losing his enthusiasm.  He saw me catch a keeper fluke on beach but he hasn't hooked up.  He caught a really small fluke and dogfish yesterday on the boat.

Here's my complaint about the party boat.  Heavy, heavy, old rods and reels.  10 oz of lead.  Line either going out a mile away from the boat or way under the boat.  Exhausted after reeling in each time.  

Was the captain not doing a good job controlling the drift?  Not many fish caught on the boat at all.  I caught a few fluke and a sea robin and didn't even know I was hooked up.  Same with my son.  Gear was so heavy we couldn't feel anything.

My opinion, coming from almost no party boat experience (maybe 5-6 trips over last 25 years) is that we didn't get much effort from the captain.  1/3 full boat, almost all amateurs based on people using rented rods, afternoon trip, not much money to be made.  We were almost always within view of the inlet.  Tried 4-5 spots.  I assume he didn't want to use much fuel.  

Don't get me wrong, mates were great and I think I tipped our mate well.  I also realize catching isn't guaranteed and maybe I put us in not the best situation for catching.

All that being said, we still want to go out again.  I rather spend some money on gear so we feel the thrill of setting the hook and feeling a fight, even if just for a few fish.

Tsunami jigging rods and conventional reels?  Something else?  Can't go crazy spending too much.  Is there a rod that works for both fluke and blues?

i currently have a 7'-6" Carbon shield rated to 3/4 oz, I think, with a slammer 3 4500.  Also have a 7' Tica with a tsunami shield 4000.  Would they work off a party boat?  Too light?

Thanks

Mike

17 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

I'm a surf guy for last 3 years.  Not much fishing experience before that.  Fish OC out front.

Don't know if this is right place for this post so please move if necessary.  Thanks.

Went on my first party boat trip with my son yesterday.  Fun trip, some small fish caught, afternoon trip for fluke out of PP.  No keepers, but close once. 

Question - Is there a good, light rod for NJ party boat fluking and blues at day or night?    My son was into it so I want to bring him again.  I've brought him to the surf several times but hasn't caught anything.  Losing his enthusiasm.  He saw me catch a keeper fluke on beach but he hasn't hooked up.  He caught a really small fluke and dogfish yesterday on the boat.

Here's my complaint about the party boat.  Heavy, heavy, old rods and reels.  10 oz of lead.  Line either going out a mile away from the boat or way under the boat.  Exhausted after reeling in each time.  

Was the captain not doing a good job controlling the drift?  Not many fish caught on the boat at all.  I caught a few fluke and a sea robin and didn't even know I was hooked up.  Same with my son.  Gear was so heavy we couldn't feel anything.

My opinion, coming from almost no party boat experience (maybe 5-6 trips over last 25 years) is that we didn't get much effort from the captain.  1/3 full boat, almost all amateurs based on people using rented rods, afternoon trip, not much money to be made.  We were almost always within view of the inlet.  Tried 4-5 spots.  I assume he didn't want to use much fuel.  

Don't get me wrong, mates were great and I think I tipped our mate well.  I also realize catching isn't guaranteed and maybe I put us in not the best situation for catching.

All that being said, we still want to go out again.  I rather spend some money on gear so we feel the thrill of setting the hook and feeling a fight, even if just for a few fish.

Tsunami jigging rods and conventional reels?  Something else?  Can't go crazy spending too much.  Is there a rod that works for both fluke and blues?

i currently have a 7'-6" Carbon shield rated to 3/4 oz, I think, with a slammer 3 4500.  Also have a 7' Tica with a tsunami shield 4000.  Would they work off a party boat?  Too light?

Thanks

Mike

I don't care much for party boat fishing for fluke, especially in the summer.  Short trips, too many rental rod using daytrippers leading to lots of tangles, crossed lines, etc., and too few keepers.  If you want to get your son hooked, try going for blues on jigs or for ling and/or black sea bass on standard hi-lo jig with bait).  The boats out of Belmar (e.g., Golden Eagle) and Brielle (Big Jamaica, Paramount, Dauntless etc.) are generally pretty good.  The difference is with those species you WILL generally catch fish, there are no size limits, and generous limits.  Much more enjoyable for a newby than fluking.  My 2 cents.

Never cared for Head ( Party ) Boats fished many in the 60s when the Catching justified the Costs. Today it is Not a Cheap family Trip with an Acerage $100 price tag. and Limits and low catches to show for it. My Son personally knows the captain of the Queen Mary Point Pleasant I have fished it 2 times but my health prevents doing it anymore. BUT I can honestly say It is the Best trips I ever had Super Family oriented Mates never Fail to help. Capt. the best But It is still Fishing. Check out the web page. $85 Adults. 

boat.jpg

photo.jpg

Has anyone tried the Penn Rival 30l levelwind combo? It’s $99 and I was thinking it would be perfect for sea bass/tog/heavier than 3oz jigging. 6’6” 

I don’t like level wind reels but the price is right. Boat rods get beat up. 

Thanks everybody.  Going to start looking into another trip, this time for sea bass or night blues.  Haven't bought a setup yet.

On 7/24/2020 at 10:18 PM, Sam3631 said:

Thanks

Mike

Unlike the posts above, I don't "hate" party boat fluking. It's not the best, but you get the same mix of people not knowing what they're doing, or drinking too much, or using freshwater bass tackle to bottom fish in 100ft of water on bottom fishing/bluefish boats. The party boat crowd seldom changes unless the boat itself doesn't put up with it. I've fished a bunch on party boats, from day fluking trips to winter offshore sea bass to overnight tilefish trips. 

You will have a 10000x more pleasurable experience using your own gear. The 7' Tica/Shield setup sounds the best for the boat. The Carbon Shield setup can be used too, but you need the right conditions. They are best used for fluke but can handle the right sized bluefish. Our bluefish fishery has been whacky the past 5+ years; we don't regularly get the gator blues we used to get in the summer. Instead we've been getting blues in the 1-4lb range and other "exotic" species like bonito, spanish mackerel, and chub mackerel. Those fish and the smallish bluefish will be perfectly caught on the rods and reels you have.

If you go for blues/stripers in the fall, I would leave the Carbon Shield at home. I'm all about light tackle but when it comes to larger blues and stripers on a party boat, I want a beefier rod so I can land the fish and steer it away from other lines as best as possible. A 7' spinning rod that can handle 1-4 oz would be my pick with a 5000 size reel. Not overkill, but just a bit beefier than fluking gear. 

If your current setups are spooled with braid in the 15-30lb range, you're ready to go fish. Grab a few bucktails or drag bait if you'd like. You wont need bait+ 10oz unless it's really windy or the tide is cranking. Also watch your weather. If you have a hard south wind, stay home. The drift is going to be very fast and the fishing will not be good. We get a lot of south winds in NJ in the afternoon hours.

Hope this helps.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, Cheeckakoe said:

Never cared for Head ( Party ) Boats fished many in the 60s when the Catching justified the Costs. Today it is Not a Cheap family Trip with an Acerage $100 price tag. and Limits and low catches to show for it. My Son personally knows the captain of the Queen Mary Point Pleasant I have fished it 2 times but my health prevents doing it anymore. BUT I can honestly say It is the Best trips I ever had Super Family oriented Mates never Fail to help. Capt. the best But It is still Fishing. Check out the web page. $85 Adults. 

boat.jpg

photo.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll check it out.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:30 AM, fishinambition said:

Is your boy old enough to accompany you on a rental skiff? Cuz that is way more fun and productive than rubbing elbows with drunks all day. 

Good idea.  He's definitely old enough.  I drive by 3 rental places every time I go fishing at the beach.  Been driving by them for years.  

Edited by Sam3631
Added content

16 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

Unlike the posts above, I don't "hate" party boat fluking. It's not the best, but you get the same mix of people not knowing what they're doing, or drinking too much, or using freshwater bass tackle to bottom fish in 100ft of water on bottom fishing/bluefish boats. The party boat crowd seldom changes unless the boat itself doesn't put up with it. I've fished a bunch on party boats, from day fluking trips to winter offshore sea bass to overnight tilefish trips. 

You will have a 10000x more pleasurable experience using your own gear. The 7' Tica/Shield setup sounds the best for the boat. The Carbon Shield setup can be used too, but you need the right conditions. They are best used for fluke but can handle the right sized bluefish. Our bluefish fishery has been whacky the past 5+ years; we don't regularly get the gator blues we used to get in the summer. Instead we've been getting blues in the 1-4lb range and other "exotic" species like bonito, spanish mackerel, and chub mackerel. Those fish and the smallish bluefish will be perfectly caught on the rods and reels you have.

If you go for blues/stripers in the fall, I would leave the Carbon Shield at home. I'm all about light tackle but when it comes to larger blues and stripers on a party boat, I want a beefier rod so I can land the fish and steer it away from other lines as best as possible. A 7' spinning rod that can handle 1-4 oz would be my pick with a 5000 size reel. Not overkill, but just a bit beefier than fluking gear. 

If your current setups are spooled with braid in the 15-30lb range, you're ready to go fish. Grab a few bucktails or drag bait if you'd like. You wont need bait+ 10oz unless it's really windy or the tide is cranking. Also watch your weather. If you have a hard south wind, stay home. The drift is going to be very fast and the fishing will not be good. We get a lot of south winds in NJ in the afternoon hours.

Hope this helps.

Awesome advice, thanks very much.  Good news on using my gear, save some funds and use them for more trips!