stormy monday

An old flame returns

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok 2020 has been rough, but tonite for my wife's birthday we invited our best friends from Maine down after months of geezer quarantine. We lived next to them on a lake in the 80s. They brought her a nice gift, and then said they had one for me. As it turned out about 32 years ago I left a rod tube under their house and it turned up last week. In it was this glass Phillipson Master, 7 1/2' 5 weight. Mint condition. I may have used it 10 times. It was a sweetheart for the trout in the stream behind my house, my short lived trout days but I loved that rod. Also in the tube was an 8' #5 I built on a Clemens blank, also mint. Christmas in July!

0724202156a.jpg.620ae8f2c1fbefd9e4f2a1791ce4b1e4.jpg

0724202156.jpg

Edited by stormy monday
duplicate pic and it's 7 1/2' not 8...

Now I need to stop at Cabelas on the way up tomorrow for reels and line. Happy birthday Honey...

Edited by stormy monday

I have several of the Phillipson Master fly rods. Very fine fiberglass rods that deserve respect especially considering how long ago they were manufactured. Bill Phillipson knew his stuff. That one is unique as it is the light version which are a little more rare. Some will scoff at it due to the metal ferrule but I love them. I think I have the 6'6", 7', 7'6" and the 8' in the standard line rating. The 7'6" I have is the light 5wt. The old Cortland 444 lines work well on these but I think I have the mastery headstart lines on a couple of old Pfluegers that get used the most. A Pflueger medalist and a Master is a perfect match.

P1180902 a.jpg

Edited by JEFFSOD

4 hours ago, jalthoff said:

Very cool!  Would love to see the pics of the rod you built on the Clemens blank

Will take some when I go back to NH Monday. Can't believe it was so long ago!

On 7/25/2020 at 1:31 PM, jalthoff said:

Very cool!  Would love to see the pics of the rod you built on the Clemens blank

Here are w off my phone..

0727201423.jpg.5554698f3fd7df04dc1cd5c4ed0d5633.jpg0727201424.jpg.0de2a00b46c3818a2f67f081a71af50f.jpg

Alright! Good ol Dale Clemens! Took a few of his classes in Allentown and one in Conn. and still fish his "appogie" flyblanks.Learned a ton from those seminars.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:14 AM, jalthoff said:

Love it!

I cast both rods today finally (in wicked bad gusts). I think the Clemens will go up to the lake and the Phillipson, damn I need to find me some streams cos that thing is soooo sweet. Took a few stroke adjustments, trying to double haul like it was a 10 weight wasn't happening, but once i chilled and cast to the cat in various locations I relearned how to savor that slow sweetness. It's like the Miles Davis of rods, I'm diggin' it...