z-man

New MA Travel and Quarantine Rules

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

Have you seen the new regulations released today. If you enter MA from anywhere other than NewEngland, NY, NJ or Hawaii you have to quarantine for 14 days or get a negative Covid test. There’s a $500 per day fine for not quarantining. This is even for MA residents returning from vacation. There’s forms you’re supposed to fill out when returning. This is getting ridiculous. 

16 mins ago, joe0306 said:

How do they enforce this?

micro chips placed inside your license plates that notify the authorities when you leave the state and then re enter the state.J/K i have no idea how they could enforce this.

Posted (edited) · Report post

What's silly to me is they're implementing it August 1st. If they hope to minimize infected out-of-state travelers transmitting in Mass.. well then they should have put this policy in place back in June.

Here's a quick modeling gif that looks at 3 of the big players right now, in terms of infections: Florida, Texas, and AZ.

ezgif-2-a0129e1c286d.gif.bdc57cc21f9b64e8850c175b44629d7d.gif

Like many other states suffering from the "Second Wave," new infections ramped up hard in June and have already peaked.

To say the horse is already out of the barn on August 1st is a huge understatement.

Moreover, Massachusetts currently has appx 2-300 positive tests a day. Modeled estimates put the actual number of infected per day at roughly 2000, +/-, with an estimated 30,000 people currently infected in-state.

Screenshot_20200724-145529_Chrome.jpg.77e1053c8c7a2c15d77538c1055971d0.jpg

Consider that in March we went from a mere handful of cases on March 1st.. to almost 300,000 infected by the 31st. Given that the currently infected pool is 30,000... that means there's already a crap-ton of virus in-state --> the only thing holding that huge viral reservoir back from exploding again is the low Rₜ (Around 1.0 currently in MA).

If we flipped an imaginary switch back to normal (bars open/restaurants full/workplaces full/no masks/etc) the virus already sitting there would do the same thing it did in March. Though prob a bit less explosive, considering appx 15% of the state has antibodies 

Edited by rst3

I can't wait for Jeff Kuhner, Boston's Bulldozer, to talk about King Charlies latest "edict to protect the Commonwealth's citizenry".

One way of enforcing is through businesses - guy I work with had plans to take his daughter to college in FL - now he either has to take a two week vacation at home when he gets back or not bring her.  Granted we work for a large corporation...

But I must say I'm less scared of the virus than I am of what happens if you get a positive test result, that goes on your permanent record.

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

What's silly to me is they're implementing it August 1st. If they hope to minimize infected out-of-state travelers transmitting in Mass.. well then they should have put this policy in place back in June.

Here's a quick modeling gif that looks at 3 of the big players right now, in terms of infections: Florida, Texas, and AZ.

ezgif-2-a0129e1c286d.gif.bdc57cc21f9b64e8850c175b44629d7d.gif

Like many other states suffering from the "Second Wave," new infections ramped up hard in June and have already peaked.

To say the horse is already out of the barn on August 1st is a huge understatement.

Moreover, Massachusetts currently has appx 150-175 positive tests a day. Modeled estimates put the actual number of infected per day at roughly 2000, +/-, with an estimated 30,000 people currently infected in-state.

Screenshot_20200724-145529_Chrome.jpg.77e1053c8c7a2c15d77538c1055971d0.jpg

Consider that in March we went from a mere handful of cases on March 1st.. to almost 300,000 infected by the 31st. Given that the currently infected pool is 30,000... that means there's already a crap-ton of virus in-state --> the only thing holding that huge viral reservoir back from exploding again is the low Rₜ (Around 1.0 currently in MA).

If we flipped an imaginary switch back to normal (bars open/restaurants full/workplaces full/no masks/etc) the virus already sitting there would do the same thing it did in March. Though prob a bit less explosive, considering appx 15% of the state has antibodies 

It definitely would have made more sense to do this back in the spring when people from NY and NJ came to MA. When you look at the numbers of cases by population we were much worse then than Florida and other southern states are now. 
This is really going to screw over people that had trips planned before this. Myself included. I’ll just work from home for two weeks but my wife doesn’t have that option. Supposedly it’s taking many days to get test results so even if you test negative you’ve missed days of work waiting for the results. Plus the state isn’t covering the test fees that they are mandating. It’s absurd. Are we all supposed to stay locked in our house for two years. 

1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

micro chips placed inside your license plates that notify the authorities when you leave the state and then re enter the state.J/K i have no idea how they could enforce this.

I think is called ezpass. 

2 mins ago, Wuwu888 said:

I think is called ezpass. 

Good point. I’m sure they could track you on some highways with it. Sounds like you may have to fill out paperwork when arriving at the airport. That could start the tracking process. 

13 mins ago, z-man said:

Good point. I’m sure they could track you on some highways with it. Sounds like you may have to fill out paperwork when arriving at the airport. That could start the tracking process. 

MA taking a leaf out of the Chinese playbook here, not surprising :dismay:

9 mins ago, z-man said:

It definitely would have made more sense to do this back in the spring when people from NY and NJ came to MA. When you look at the numbers of cases by population we were much worse then than Florida and other southern states are now. 
This is really going to screw over people that had trips planned before this. Myself included. I’ll just work from home for two weeks but my wife doesn’t have that option. Supposedly it’s taking many days to get test results so even if you test negative you’ve missed days of work waiting for the results. Plus the state isn’t covering the test fees that they are mandating. It’s absurd. Are we all supposed to stay locked in our house for two years. 

My take is, travelers' quarantines don't make a whole lot of sense when there's already a huge amount of virus *inside* a state or country. It's a policy to keep out the infective sparks when you're operating more or less normally, and have little to no virus circulating; in that case a handful or a hundred diseased travelers can quickly blow up into disaster.

But we already have thousands upon thousands of currently sick Massachusetts citizens. And the situation is considered stable because the Rt is down near 1.0.

Yes, if 5 or 50 or even 10000 infected travelers come in it will start new chains of transmission. And these new chains will sicken some greatly and then kill some. 

But even with an additional 10,000 cases, our situation in Massachusetts will largely stay the same.. so long as the Rt stays at 1.0.

Screenshot_20200724-170906_Chrome.jpg.4f22d2638da25eec23b0fc237cb1caae.jpg

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

I can't wait for Jeff Kuhner, Boston's Bulldozer, to talk about King Charlies latest "edict to protect the Commonwealth's citizenry".

Talk radio is for stooges :point: