Pierce

Boat Reel

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Look at the Fathom, i think i will take the Level Drag 40.

Accurate is nice but they dont have a Service Centre in my area, so i have to pass on this Fury.

Since i am in here, might as well ask the senior. 

What shape sinker better use for bottom fishing to prevent strong current that create line twist?

43 mins ago, Pierce said:

Since i am in here, might as well ask the senior. 

What shape sinker better use for bottom fishing to prevent strong current that create line twist?

Bank, after that the rock cod flat bank style. I use big egg weights for Carolina rigs as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Probably irrelevant, but my boat reels were a Penn 115, J.A. Coxe 400, and J.A.Coxe 500.

I also used a Ming Yang CL70 for a while.

I'd recommend any of these reels. (The CL70 is a level-wind based on the Abu Ambassador 7000 C3)

Line was 30 pound test hollow braided Dacron on the Penn, 20 pound braided Dacron on the Ming Yang. The J.A. Coxe 400 had 50 pound test braided Dacron, and the 500 had 80 pound test Andre' mono. All line was "IGFA Approved". (You never know what is going to bite your baited hook or lure. Why lose a potential record because your line "over tests" the weight classification?)

The Penn and both J.A. Coxe were "borrowed" (without my knowledge or consent) by a .... (I'll be nice since women and younglings may be present) .... worthless, useless, motherless, rotten, miserable ...  excuse for a "human" ...

That P.O.S. also "borrowed" my J.A. Coxe 300, and a couple Mitchell 302 "Salt Water" spinning reels, the rods all the reels "borrowed" were on, and my 18 foot square stern canoe. 

Fortunately, it didn't "borrow" the 302 I'd converted to P.U.M., or the Ming Yang CL70, so I still have them. :) 

The "Good Book" says we should pray for our enemies, you know.

I do. I pray that it loses everything it has - except it's "life", and spends the rest of it's "life" in a cage in solitary confinement, that it's brakes fail while all four of it's tyres explode out on some lonely road out in the (hungry) gater infested swamps, a rouge breeze blows it and it's old P.O.S.Toyota sedan off the middle of The Seven Mile Bridge into the shark infested waters of the Gulf and Atlantic of the Florida Keys, that someone uses it for shark bait, placing the hook in the most sensitive part(s) of it, that it's girlfriend (that poor woman) guilds it with a dull butter knife, that "when it's time comes", it is not fast and painless in it's sleep, but is slow, and preferably exceptionally excruciatingly painful.

The "Good Book" says we should pray for our enemies. However, it don't say we have to pray good things or for blessings on them.

My apologies, but I have no use or pity for things like "him".

Edited by afishhunter

Sorry to hear that u got a X-friend like that.

I fish mostly 400-600ft of water in my area. The skipper suggest i use electric reel (which are famous among anglers) but i find there r no fun in using. I mean, what the point, fish on u just push the button.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

Bennie, didn't you have some pictures of a bass you caught on your extra wide 14/0?

Yes sir 16/0,,,,:) I didn't know they where having a bass tournament that day and they got really mad when throw it back,,,,,,:banghd:

20171203_135837_013_01 (1).jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, ermghoti said:

That must have been a hell of a battle! How long did it take to get that hog in?

Hehe,,,but I got to agree with using a penn 4/0 I just got 1 built and will post some pics when it comes in,,,,,,:D

20200710_111411.jpg

Edited by bennie

10 hours ago, hiroshi808 said:

I used a saltiga 30 narrow, very versatile setup. Conventional. If you wanna go up to your budget

I like to stay at my budget, not offer to go bottom fishing often. May be one or two times only per month.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:22 PM, the3fishheads said:

Fathom 15 star drag non lever. Beast of a little reel that kicks my avet sx ass.

Takes big fish effortlessly. 

Yeah, the Fathoms really are a fish catching machine. They have features and qualities that easily exceed reels that cost 2 to 3 times as much.

They are basically a high end reel with the price of a mid-range.