Pierce

Boat Reel

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Need a replacement for my old Okuma Titus Gold 30II level drag reel. Not sure to stick with aluminium body or graphite?

Am looking at the Shimano TLD 30A, any good? Or i should looke at Penn or Daiwa as well?

2 hours ago, Pierce said:

No take in this?

More details will help dial-in what kind of reel might be best.

Type/test line that will be used?

Size/species of fish most often caught?

Techniques used?

Budget?

50lbs braided line

Cobia, snapper etc..

Technique used? Obviously bottom fishing with a size of the reel.

About $500 budget.

37 mins ago, Pierce said:

50lbs braided line

Cobia, snapper etc..

Technique used? Obviously bottom fishing with a size of the reel.

About $500 budget.

With a $500 budget, definitely go with a metal reel. 

Your old reel held about 1000 yards of 50-pound braid, so if you want to stay with that kind of capacity, the PENN Fathom FTH60LD2 is in that category, and is considerably lighter than your old reel [27 ounces vs. 41 ounces].

If you can work with a line capacity of 750 yards of 50-pound braid, then the "narrow" version of the same reel is the Fathom FTH40NLD2.

Both of the above are $299 retail. 

Exceeding your budget slightly at $599 retail would be the Torque reels in the same sizes [TRQ60LD2 and TRQ40NLD2]

Although not necessary if you are using only 50-pound braid, if you want to stay with a "heavy frame" reel like your old one, then the International 16VISX at 36 ounces, or the 12VISX at 32 ounces mirror the line capacities of the above models, and also exceed your budget slightly at $579 and $549, respectively. 

Bottom fishing, I'd go heavier braid and less of it. I fish tourium 20 and fathom 25 sized reels, 100lb braid with 100-130lb topshot. It's not like your letting them run.

Randy at vintage offshore tackle got some really nice "pro gear" reels for sale,,,,,,,:headscratch: but if you want a 30 international he has that to used or new I just got a 20 international 2 from him new in the box,,,,,,,:D

20191002_210636.jpg

You may want to look at Accurate reels as well. The Boss Fury 2 speed in a 600N model holds 600yds of 50lb braid and is made in the USA. Accurate builds a great product and that reel is all metal and MSRP is $380. Light and strong. I have the single speed version that I use for tilefish here in NJ. Fishing heavy sinkers in 600-900ft of water for fish up to 40-50lbs.

13 hours ago, bennie said:

Randy at vintage offshore tackle got some really nice "pro gear" reels for sale,,,,,,,:headscratch: but if you want a 30 international he has that to used or new I just got a 20 international 2 from him new in the box,,,,,,,:D

20191002_210636.jpg

That's some impressive light tackle fishing there.

55 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

If you are not married to a lever drag, give some thought to the Penn Senator 113HN  “Baja Special”. 

The new us 4/0s are excellent reels, those and the fathoms are the only Penn's I will purchase. Love mine for grouper.

27 mins ago, Grayson said:

The new us 4/0s are excellent reels, those and the fathoms are the only Penn's I will purchase. Love mine for grouper.

The Baja Special is a beast. 

3 hours ago, Grayson said:

Making an argument against getting a Fathom is nearly fools errand.

They have more metal and more features for less the every competitor.

18 hours ago, bennie said:

20191002_210636.jpg

Bennie...

You put all those bass anglers fishing 50lb braid for those oversized sunfish to shame.:D