coastalfreak

Long Distance Setup for Surf and BIG rivers.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey all, I am moving to Louisiana in the fall to pursue higher education and I am itching to do some fishing. I’m gonna be right on the Mississippi River, and I plan on throwing out big pieces of cut bait on heavy fishfinder rigs for big blue cats and channel cats. 

Additionally, id like to use this setup to throw some big cut bait from the beach or passes/inlet for bull reds, sharks, and rays. 

Im not sure how much lead I will have to throw, but I expect it to be quite a bit especially in the river. I’m thinking at least 6-8 oz, possibly more. I apologize I just don’t have a great idea. 

Im thinking conventional is the way to go, along with maybe a 12 foot rod. Any suggestions? Cheaper the better. 

Thanks, 

Kevin 

Buy used, check out SOL bs&t or CL, it doesn’t get any cheaper. Which reel, and which rod depends on your 6 or 8 n bait conventional casting proficiency,

16 hours ago, cheech said:

Buy used, check out SOL bs&t or CL, it doesn’t get any cheaper. Which reel, and which rod depends on your 6 or 8 n bait conventional casting proficiency,

Hey Cheech. Thanks for the reply.

I have god some experience with baitcasters but pretty much none with conventionals. Largest reel I have put lots of practice on is an Abu C4 5600. 

4 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Hey Cheech. Thanks for the reply.

I have god some experience with baitcasters but pretty much none with conventionals. Largest reel I have put lots of practice on is an Abu C4 5600. 

If you are ok with the 5600 moving up to larger 6600 or even 7000 size will be fairly easy.

Consider a SL-H, X-SHA or Saltist from Daiwa (all in a 20 or 30 size), inasmuch the small ABU's cast better, they (at least for me) lack the grunt that I like for retrieving bigger sinker and bait payloads.

Penn's offerings like the Fathiom are very nice, good casters and strong.

I toss 8 n bait all the time.......Back in the day we had to wrap our own rods to get what we wanted. Nowadays there are some good rods available right off the shelf. Penn sells some inexpensive rods.........I use bass pro's 12ft oceanmaster and I like it!

I cast with a multiplier but nothing wrong with using a baitrunner fixed spool and they are much easier to use braid with...........

Keep us posted on how you do. The cheapest I would go is the 12’ Okuma longitude, if you can still find one for $50, if not What is your budget? For reels, if you good solid and cheap, go with a SLOSH or an Abu 7000 if you need a level wind.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been using a diawa 12 foot emblem ,plenty stout enough for 8and bait combined with a saltist 30 bait caster or Penn 535 gets the bait where you want it.might be under 200$

Edited by Surf bomber

3 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Been using a diawa 12 foot emblem ,plenty stout enough for 8and bait combined with a saltist 30 bait caster or Penn 535 gets the bait where you want it.might be under 200$

Emblem for 8oz + bait?

They are rated max 4oz.

Even if you are are refering to the spod versions 8oz is way too much.

Good donor rod if you want toi build a cheap long range plugging stick though

On 7/26/2020 at 6:58 AM, fishhappy said:

Keep us posted on how you do. The cheapest I would go is the 12’ Okuma longitude, if you can still find one for $50, if not What is your budget? For reels, if you good solid and cheap, go with a SLOSH or an Abu 7000 if you need a level wind.

Thanks FishHappy, will do. I'm thinking 100 or below for the rod, but I'm willing to invest a little more for the reel. Those 7000 Abus have been a consideration, along with a Penn Fathom. 

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I am brand new to the long casting world. 

11 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Thanks FishHappy, will do. I'm thinking 100 or below for the rod, but I'm willing to invest a little more for the reel. Those 7000 Abus have been a consideration, along with a Penn Fathom. 

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I am brand new to the long casting world. 

My tackle collection amassed over two decades for ocean fishing. Before that it consisted of a Shakespeare rod and reel, a St Croix surf rod from the 60's,  some old Daiwa spinners and a few 7' Berkeley rods.  One of my first distance casting purchases was an Abu 7000 Big Game.  You can no longer read the Big Game game on the side plates but the reel is internally perfect, with the exception of bearings, drag washers, and the pawl everything is original. I have 80lb braid on it, in the past I used 40lb big cat mono.  In the wind, the braid can blow under the level wind and get caught causing the cast to stop abruptly. I never had that happen with mono. This should also be a consideration when buying the Fathom that does not have the level wind, you have one less thing to go wrong.  The only reason I stick with level winds is that I don't practice enough with the non-levelwinds. Also, I have not figured out how to skillfully retrieve a lure with a non-levelwind.

Rods can make a huge difference for distance, just as much as the reel.  Some rods have a better bend, the less expensive ones don't.  Think of the rod as a catapult, you need one with a good spring built into it to launch the bait. 

If distance becomes an issue, you may consider a rod like the Okuma Solaris or the Tsunami Trophy casting rods. These are good mid range rods that run about $130. If you need 50 yards, any rod will do.

My guess is that your total setup will likely run about $260 to $320. If you can get the stuff here on the BST, you are looking at about 1/2.

The concern I have about buying too cheap, is that you will be spending the money again later on. Think about it, I spent ab out $150 on an Abu big game going on a decade or more, and that reel is still in good condition and useable.