ace4570

Surf Bag

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I admit that the Aquaskin bags are not as bombproof as Gearup bags. I’ve gotten 10 or so years out of the cheaper Aquaskin bag. I’m really not sure. If you coat the area on the bag were hooks snag with Aquaseal the hooks won’t snag. Aquaskins cheaper line of bags would seem to be at or above the moderate price that Ace 4570 asked about. I have the 5 tube bag and it got used hard. It holds everything I am able to carry in a well designed layout. There is no reason for people to look down their noses at good equipment just because they can afford better. Personally I think my bag is layed out better than the Gearup for general use on sand beaches. I don’t like a mess of plugs in the same tube.The drain holes on GU are great for swimming but a lot of stuff can get lost through them. Good luck on your choice Ace4570. 

I have been using a Harbor Freight tool bag as my surf bag. I have a couple of them and they have a handle and shoulder strap to carry it around..They also have between six and sixteen interior pockets....Plus they are very reasonably priced.. I also have tupperware containers and small plano boxes. Check them out.. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

DO NOT GET SHIMANO BLUE WAVE BAGS. The belt loops (and bag) fall apart, the material will grab every hook in your bag, and the velcro will open up often, which is not something you want when your running down some albies or fighting off the local surfer. 

It sounds like your speaking from a place of experience when it comes to fighting off the local surfer :howdy:

In all seriousness your completely right about the Blue Wave. I bought this bag in June of 2018, by July the seams especially along the edges of the bottom and top of the bag had begun to fail. You can see damage along the right and left sides of the bag where material was splitting and just pulling away. I was actually using zip ties on the left to try and hold it together for awhile. Eventually the bottom basically just fell out of it.

I went with some good quality sailcloth bags, Commando, Gear Up and Ebb Point and never looked back. Considering the price of nice plugs and baits these days I definitely don't want to skimp when it comes to my bags.

20180926_130923.jpg.dd4d8de46b9ab9d7800d25cadf81a214.jpg

Edited by Sandbar1

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:52 PM, ace4570 said:

Does anyone know of any good quality and moderately priced surf bags that hold a decent amount?

why not make your own,,,the way you want it to be?

I made 2 bags from some creels I found at a discount store and then another one for my supersized plugs,that one was bought from staples as a messenger bag,made from some kind of synthetic that looks and feels like canvas but,is not.

none of them failed me as yet and they are at least 12 yo.

of course the staples bag I modified to suit my need/wants and it has served me well.

the 2 smaller ones are the same with 6 downspout tubes and the large one has 10 downspout tubes.

I can carry 6-14 swimmers depending on how thick profiled they are plus one laying across the top.

the large bag can do 10 very large swimmers with one,maybe 2 across the top,if they are under 9 inches long.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I’d echo Supreme bags for this category, as well as also add Canyon surf bags to the discussion based on what ur looking for they are a decent bang for the buck. 

Go to the website and call the guy direct and you should be able to get any of the bags they make since it might be tough to find what ur looking for in the shops. 

My diaper bag with guitar strap. Individual plug sleeves so no fumbling with trebles and gave away all stock plug tubes.Bag build around 60 bucks. Bag is 10x9x8. Surfrite supreme bag outfitted the same.

15956816693821866863153.jpg

1595681969380654636842.jpg

1595682206465739463631.jpg

8 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Hi Bri!

Love the clear downspouts!!!  Where did you find those?

Hey handsome ditch debonair! I'm running errands in town right now, prepping for a full RI week starting Monday. I'll PM you later with the details on those. Best thing I ever did with my bags, plug swap in seconds.

The small Supreme bag is nice except for the square 3 tube insert it comes with. Two 2-3/4” tennis ball sleeves, or any similar sized plastic soda bottles will hold much more. With pockets for pliers and rind, 10 slots for tins, and some black duct tape around the opening to make it hook proof, and you have a good , inexpensive belt bag.