ace4570

Surf Bag

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Shimano Bluewave and Supreme surf. The Shimano is better quality but the Supremes are decent for the price. I like my 3 tube supreme surf bag a lot, it holds just what I need and I like the pocket and pouch configuration. They are both offered in different sizes depending on how big/small you want to go. Good luck

Edited by RobG922

+1 on Shimano bluewave.  I've been using mine for maybe 10 years.  It's starting to fall apart a bit now.  It's a pretty good for the price.

Gear-Up is awesome if you can shell out around $150-$200 depending on what size. My 3 tube fits everything I need for the kind of fishing I do. I highly recommend it.

Moderately priced is a subjective term but I'll second the gear up recommendation. If you plan to really put some time in you'll need a good quality, preferably sailcloth bag and gear up fits the bill. As someone who owned both the Shimano and multiple Aquaskinz products I can tell you those bags just will not last long term. Heck my Blue Wave completely fell apart after less than one season in the surf. Buy once cry once is my recommendation.

It depends.

(Dontcha just *hate* when folks answer with that?)

Depends on how frequently and in which conditions you plan to use it.

Will you be swimming out to rocks, banging around in boulder fields and scrambling on and around jetties; or fishing from beaches?

Once a week for three months or 5+ tides/week for four or more months?

For "light" use, the Shimano Blue Wave will serve you for two or three seasons, maybe more.  Put that bag in tough conditions and I'd guess that two or three dozen tides would be a reasonable life expectancy.

If you divide the bags into two categories--"pretty damned bombproof" & "OK for light(er) use"--I'd vote GearUp in the former and either Shimano or Aquaskinz (they make two lines, the better of which might be called "Elite" and the other should be called crap).

Edited by Southcoastphil

1 hour ago, ace4570 said:

Does anyone know of any good quality and moderately priced surf bags that hold a decent amount?

Aquaskinz medium bag lists for $125. It is a good bag. It is not the greatest quality but is very serviceable and has a very well thought out layout.  With reasonable care it will last quite awhile. I always felt $100 or so it what you have to spend on a bag to get something that is reasonable quality. 

The Bluewave is a good bag. I have the small one. I can take about 8 plugs plus my bucktails. Capacity goes down when I take larger stuff like dannys. The outside pocket is good for storing your leaders in plastic bags.  The mesh side pocket can fit pork rind, etc. The holder for pliers is too small but I put them on my belt anyways.

I have had mine for four seasons and it is now starting to show some wear. That's probably 200 trips. I think I've rinsed it like 5 times. Fabric is ripping in one spot but I think it's got at least two seasons left in it. Not bad for a $50 bag.

Edited by tanktroll

I have 2 three tube belt Supreme bags and 1 8 tube Supreme shoulder bag. The shoulder bag is mostly used for storage in the car. The 3 tube bags are 3 years old, get used quite a bit and are doing well. They only hold a 1/2 a dozen lures, and not anything big like a Danny. However for $29 they have lasted well and might be a good choice for budget minded folks. For bigger lures I have a large 2 tube Belt bag that used cost me more than all 3 Supreme bags combined.

The supreme bags are going to be your best entry level bag. The two main cons that could deter you is that the material of the bag is penetrable by hooks which could cause damage to the stitching and life of the bag, itll also piss you off big time. Also the tubes are ideal for smaller plugs but not big plugs. You could buy aftermarket tubes and re-outfit the bag if you wanted to.

The next step up would be Gear-up or the harder to find MAK bags. Both are made from a tougher cloth. I have beat my 3 tube MAK to death without washing it and Im going on year 5 with no issues. 

DO NOT GET SHIMANO BLUE WAVE BAGS. The belt loops (and bag) fall apart, the material will grab every hook in your bag, and the velcro will open up often, which is not something you want when your running down some albies or fighting off the local surfer. 

The supreme bags are great. Highly recommend but gearup is definitely the way to go if you don’t want to shell out $300+ and wait or a custom bag