makorider

A/C Platform questions

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Bottom line, I'm moving my A/C compressor here at the beach.  Currently behind the house at the corner in our back yard, its an eyesore, makes noise, and we could use the room.  Neighbor's friend put the system in; he gave me a very good price to move it to the side of my house, between my outdoor shower and garbage can area.  He had begged the prior owner at the time not to put it hereAC1.jpg.aa759195057e51e4b96ae2e6cdf14d00.jpgAC2.jpg.e365f5978dbb9a8b6140911bf869c79d.jpg

I currently have a paver walkway from the side of the shower to the driveway, (relatively new) that matches the back yard.

Compressor cant weigh more than a 100# based on how it feels when I rock it.

So my question:  I have to build a new platform.  Do I have to pull pavers and sink the legs?  I'm thinking I can just put it on top of the pavers.  Worst case, I get some stainless L brackets, drill where needed, and secure it to the pavers.  I'd much rather NOT pull pavers, dig, repack, cut pavers etc etc and mess up a 2 year old job.

Thoughts?

Current setup with ugly platform; going to lose the 2nd recycle bin (even I don't drink enough to justify that) and put the platform there

2 mins ago, JimW said:

Why do you need a platform elevated like that?   Most sit on a pad on the ground 

I think its code down here that it has to be X inches off the ground.  Flooding, Sandy and all

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would just use that same platform and place it right on top of the pavers.  It doesn't look too beat up but if there is any rot then i would make repairs to it now or replace it. The condenser should have little brackets that will get screwed to the platform so its not going to move.  You should look at the condenser specs. Most need to be at least 12 inches away from the house for air movement.  

Edited by Fly By Nite

3 hours ago, JimW said:

Why do you need a platform elevated like that?   Most sit on a pad on the ground 

Needs to be above base flood level for insurance.

54 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I would just use that same platform and place it right on top of the pavers.  It doesn't look too beat up but if there is any rot then i would make repairs to it now or replace it. The condenser should have little brackets that will get screwed to the platform so its not going to move.  You should look at the condenser specs. Most need to be at least 12 inches away from the house for air movement.  

I would use it too, just make sure nothing moves.  Maybe brace it a bit if any doubts.  

I'd thought you needed pretty airflow around these to get good efficiency.   Having a fence on one side, the house house on the back and the other recycling can on the left  seems like you'd have airflow issues

16 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I would just use that same platform and place it right on top of the pavers. 

15 hours ago, JimW said:

I would use it too, just make sure nothing moves.  Maybe brace it a bit if any doubts.  

Nah, that thing looks like ass.  Nothing is square, paint is peeling....and its a lot bigger than it has to be.  Also, I want to build one that my beach chairs will fit under.  Or at least some of them.  Easy enough to build a good looking one that will last

11 hours ago, rathrbefishn said:

I'd thought you needed pretty airflow around these to get good efficiency.   Having a fence on one side, the house house on the back and the other recycling can on the left  seems like you'd have airflow issues

You do.  At least a foot, preferably two.  I will have 2' to the house, one foot to the shower wall, but thats a windy spot on that side of the house, and generally there is plenty of moving air here at the beach

48 mins ago, makorider said:

Nah, that thing looks like ass.  Nothing is square, paint is peeling....and its a lot bigger than it has to be.  Also, I want to build one that my beach chairs will fit under.  Or at least some of them.  Easy enough to build a good looking one that will last

You do.  At least a foot, preferably two.  I will have 2' to the house, one foot to the shower wall, but thats a windy spot on that side of the house, and generally there is plenty of moving air here at the beach

Great point about the wind....I've been living too far from the beach for far too long. 

16 hours ago, bass-o-matic said:

Needs to be above base flood level for insurance.

If i were you i'd look into installing it higher, preferably around teh same elevation as the finished floor.  I don't know if the insurance writers take this mechanical equipment into account or not, but it's worth asking that question, and if you don't , safer to install it higher since you're moving the line set anyway.  They make steel brackets that you can fastener to ledgers against the house and then use carriage bolts and some green 2x10 boards to make a platform up higher.  I think you'll be better off doing it that way than your half assed foot off the ground platform. 

5 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

If i were you i'd look into installing it higher, preferably around teh same elevation as the finished floor.  I don't know if the insurance writers take this mechanical equipment into account or not, but it's worth asking that question, and if you don't , safer to install it higher since you're moving the line set anyway.  They make steel brackets that you can fastener to ledgers against the house and then use carriage bolts and some green 2x10 boards to make a platform up higher.  I think you'll be better off doing it that way than your half assed foot off the ground platform. 

Foot off the ground?  Nah man, this thing will be 3.5' up.  Just above level of finished floor.  House stayed dry during Sandy too.  Thought about doing it off the house but the wife nixed that b/c of looks.

Edited by makorider

3 mins ago, makorider said:

Foot off the ground?  Nah man, this thing will be 3.5' up.  Just above level of finished floor.  House stayed dry during Sandy too.  Thought about doing it off the house but the wife nixed that b/c of looks.

Yeah in that case disregard. :)

I would be concerned about the copper feed and return lines from where you are moving the unit to. Is he going to run new lines in a section of gutter from the new site to the crawl space or just extend the copper and power along the foundation to the new site. I don't think I would like the horizontal extension scenario.

Marc