newportrockhopper

CTS Elite Magspin grip length suggestions

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have a 7ft 1.5oz cts wlite magspin and I'm torn on what length grips to use. I have a 10inch cork grip but it seems a little short. I'm used to longer grips but not sure if 12inch would be too much 

Rod will be used for throwing small stickbaits and poppers to small GT here in Hawaii. 

I`ve heard that out of 5 cts rods, none had the same feel, action - feedback.

All 5 were the same, on paper.

Why not test fit it before building it? Tape arbor it, slip your reelseat over the arbors, tape on the guides and see which of the different rear grip lengths you like and if you can perform a proper presentation, you never have to build a rod and than find out you don't like it, you never have to guess.

13 hours ago, glos said:

I`ve heard that out of 5 cts rods, none had the same feel, action - feedback.

All 5 were the same, on paper.

My first cts build but that is the first negative thing I have ever heard about them. I know many builders especially here in hawaii who swear by them. 

32 mins ago, newportrockhopper said:

My first cts build but that is the first negative thing I have ever heard about them. I know many builders especially here in hawaii who swear by them. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the unintelligible posts...

build it how YOU think it should go. You’ll get some right and some wrong but it’s the only way that you figure it out. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I own many CTS rods, some for 15 years, fly rod to saltwater rods saying that they are poor quality is total B. S. I mean every company from little NZ can build a crap product and set up a worldwide distributor network. Google Mavin Rods and tell me what you think.

Edited by spoonplugger1

On 7/22/2020 at 9:46 PM, newportrockhopper said:

I have a 7ft 1.5oz cts wlite magspin and I'm torn on what length grips to use. I have a 10inch cork grip but it seems a little short. I'm used to longer grips but not sure if 12inch would be too much 

Rod will be used for throwing small stickbaits and poppers to small GT here in Hawaii. 

The grip length depends on what's comfortable to you.  Follow spoonplugger's suggestion.

On 7/23/2020 at 5:37 PM, Drew C. said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the unintelligible posts...

build it how YOU think it should go. You’ll get some right and some wrong but it’s the only way that you figure it out. 

I wouldn't worry about anything that half wit says

On 7/23/2020 at 3:46 AM, newportrockhopper said:

l'm assuming 1.5 is the weight of the rod blank, l just redid 2 rods butt section on two of my 7ft rod,

l had downsized the reel seats from #20 & #18 to #17 #16 also changed rear grips both had full cork now there is shrink tube in place of the cork, one has a 2 1/2 cork grip butt section and the other has only a but cap.

Both rods have a length from reel stem to butt end of about 14" l go from reel stem to butt because different size reel seats will have a different reel seat lengths but doing it this way your reel will always be in the same position. My 2 cents

l'm 5'10" in the morning and  5'9" buy midday l'm throwing just about that your throwing but for stripbass blues and whatever might want the lure.

Reel size about 3000 or l put on VS100 ste up works out great with that rod handle.

Hope this helps.

What is that 7" rod rated for? l could find anything about that rod you listed I'm not up to date with rods blanks.

20200802_110204.jpg.2d789037fe727591ee14da8d425d5ad1.jpg

l use this measurement mostly this way reel will always be in the same position, l get good leverage with a 7ft rod not overkill for me.

20200802_105552.jpg.a4ef9b9d0256070a381b69b72c5af186.jpg

20200802_105702.jpg.f9f91fb98e6e97dba34784760f28fb51.jpg

20200802_105741.jpg.2e5783705549356f6059cb32a5e6ede7.jpg

Edited by LB

On 7/23/2020 at 3:46 AM, newportrockhopper said:

when you cast with 2 hand ,you holding only 5" but.

if you put there 6",8",10" cork any off them is good,

if you worie abouth weight you put there shortest cork and make that as split grip.

Edited by snag777

5 mins ago, newportrockhopper said:

Thanks for the input guys. Messed around with a split grip and placement and found 12inch or a little more to be what I like. 

Glad you found what was good for you, where are you measuring from point to point, like my 3rd picture down from my post to get 12"?