Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, I was trying to think of a better way of making a leader with a teaser line, without the dreaded dropper loop. 

It's a pain to tie and very weak.

So I found this swivel by SPRO.SPSCB-ALL-2_4070d700-48fa-4eab-bdec-36f2

It's call the power swivel combo. Just can't justify paying 6$ for 5 of these things.

It came to me to just slightly bend the end of one Rosco swivel, and slide it into another Rosco. Then bend it enough so it's locked in place. 

I used small regular old Channel Lock pliers, the grooves hold it in place.  Ideally a fine pair of needle nose pliers would be best to bend back,  I used a dart...

I used the bent eye to go to the standing line, tied about foot section of 40# fluro to a surgeon's loop, so you can change the fly, to the side ways swivel.

Then about 2 feet of 40# fluro for the main leader, ending in a fast link. 

I read on a post here, that using a heavier leader for the teaser will tangle less. That, however, was for when using only one swivel. I didn't want to go lighter then 40# for my main leader, and 50# starts getting absurd for a small fly. 40# fluro is pretty stiff, and hopefully the sideways swivel will keep it from tangling.

Can't wait to try it out today, and I like being able to save some cash, and still use the American made swivel.

20200723_003253.jpg

20200723_003246.jpg

Edited by MattAtkins

Another way to skin a cat! I learned the easier butterfly loop/knot, and tie up a few leaders ahead of time. There is a recent post on  SOL about teaser knots.

Posted (edited) · Report post

@cheech 

Yeah, I saw someone mention on main feed yesterday, to just try tying a foot of leader to a smaller fast link then to a loop or your teaser. Then snap to the top swivel loop above your main leader. Worked great, only had to unwrap a few times.

I'll use the DIY combo swivels for fluke rigs.

Thanks for the info about the butterfly knot. 

Edited by MattAtkins