walleyejoe

older ambassadeur question - pinion gear

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 5500D that I just replaced the gears on, the new gears are brand new, and they are noisy.  If there's any resistance on the spool, they feel like they are grinding, I don't think this should be.  Could it be the height of the drive gear on its spindle?  I'm kind of lost, any ideas what might be the problem?  thanks in advance for any assistance.

 

Ignore the above paragraph, I was dumb and I know what is wrong, now I have a different question.

 

Hopefully someone will know.  I need a part number for a 70's era pinion gear.  The pinion gear I need would be the one from the high speed conversion kits, 3.8 to 4.7, for standard 5000/6000 reels, not the C models.  Its a high speed pinion that fits a low speed spool.  I don't know where to start looking on schematic sheets.

 

Tim

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by walleyejoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The factory 4:7-1 pinion is part #5137...this pinion fit 5000 5000d and 6000 reels ( pre 80's).

I think you might have to change your spool to get what your looking to do. But i could be wrong. Did you purchase a main gear and pinion of 4:7 to upgrade your 3:8 ? My advice would be to go look up jerry foran reel service, and give him a call, he's the abu specialist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After spending some more time on the internet, I found the answer, part #4597, thats the pinion that came in the conversion kits, and it isn't shown on any schematics I could find.  It allows you to use 4.7 main gears with 3.8 spools.  For the life of me, I can't imagine what advantage ABU found in having so many different spools and pinion gears.

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, Abu parts and part #'s will certainly make your head spin !

Glad you found what you were lookin for. Are you sure #4597 will mesh with your factory main gear, #7072 for 5-6000 or #4281 for 5000d... or is the main gear you have, from the conversion kit..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 99% sure, I'll add the other 1% when the parts arrive, or not.  The main gear is for a 5500D, I'm assuming its the same gear in the conversion kit.  The reason for the new pinion is the spool is for a 6000, I'm converting the 5500D to a wide frame.  You can't use the 5500D pinion with a spool for a low gear ratio, so you need the conversion pinion.  I had to replace the main gear because the original gear appeared to be made of some pot metal and had a bunch of chewed up teeth.  Nothing is ever just easy.

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if you found part #'s on abu site, so I'll put em up...

5000d

main gear- # 4282

pinion - # 5137

5500d

main gear -# 4281

pinion - # 4590

Are you trying to make a 6000/6500 D ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New pinion arrived and everything is great, if you're interested, the part # is 4597, its the  pinion that came in their conversion kits.  Yes, I made a 6500D, this is my third conversion, I guess the others would be a 6000CD and 6500CD, this last one is my favorite because its the nicest of the bunch.

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.