stinky1

Can't figure out they were

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

this past Saturday I was out near the entrance of buzzards bay. Thick fog, found birds working above breaking water. Whatever they were, they were small, fast and organized fish. They circled back to the boat numerous times giving me plenty of opportunity. Not baitfish small. Not snapper blues. I tried small metals, albie snax, green and white epoxies.... nothing. Any idea what I was looking at? Small Bonito?  If I see it again, any suggested tactics? 

Last Saturday we ran into a similar situation In eastern RI. Fish were about a foot long, fed similar to mackerel but were faster and never slowed down or milled around. Bait was under 1/2”. Friend got bit on a small epoxy jig and light flouro but they didn’t touch anything else. IMO they had to be juvie  bonito or maybe frigate mackerel.

49 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Could be chub mackerel. I caught a couple in RI last season while casting for bonito.743D33C2-1B0A-4748-B064-EE9A3158FAA1.png.7f0a7a85d69144d41a7d6715a8ccf78d.png

Yup that’s another strong possibility 

I second the frigate thing...except I think they're actually bullet tuna, not frigates...I picked up two in an area not too far from what might be considered the mouth of buzzards bay. 

IMG_3294 (2).jpeg