HapaIK

SF Bay Halibut

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Got two fish two weeks apart, fished the worst part of the tide and got lucky both times. 

Aloha, 

Isao

3AB29C18-7617-4D5E-8741-C226540B30A5.jpeg

Not asking where, but curious what method are you using to get em, what depth, and what structure are you targeting? Live bait? Jigging? Halibut are always elusive for me and will take any help I can get. 

4 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Not asking where, but curious what method are you using to get em, what depth, and what structure are you targeting? Live bait? Jigging? Halibut are always elusive for me and will take any help I can get. 

I am either going from kayak or “plugging” from shore. If I’m on the kayak it could be live bait, swim bait, popsicles, or a Carolina rig. In general I’m looking for subtle depth changes where they could be waiting to ambush something, but realistically I’m just mowing the lawn and trying to hit areas that I have known to be productive. I’ve caught them from 5 to 50’ (so helpful I know), and the earliest one my group of fishing friends has gotten from shore in the bay was in the end of march in ‘17. You can target them up here almost all the way till Halloween.

Hope that helps! Are you fishing in central cal? Cause I hear that can be a little different,

aloha, 

Isao