SweatyBadger

Newbie: Advice hook setting Surf Perch?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey all! Green horn here at Surf Fishing on the left coast. Looking for some advice on hook setting with surf perch. I'll get some massive strikes while using camo sandworms, but when I go to set the hook I find that I just pull the bait away.

If I try to leave the bait without setting, my lure ends up stripped...should I try to set on big strikes? Or is this an issue with the hooks Im using?

Been using Gamakatsu size 4 Bait holders.

Looking to hearing what you guys have learned, thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

My experience is you only need about 1-2" of the gulp sandworm for perch. Are you using the large size by chance? If so, they're probably just biting at the tail end of your worm. Your hooks are fine, so that's my prediction.

Edited by SRFPLGN

31 mins ago, SRFPLGN said:

My experience is you only need about 1-2" of the gulp sandworm for perch. Are you using the large size by chance? If so, they're probably just biting at the tail end of your worm. Your hooks are fine, so that's my prediction.

Been using the 2 inch Gulps, but yeah that's definitely it. They keep ripping off the tails, while the hook is a bit further up out of reach. Any changes/modifications that come to mind,? Or is that just the name of the game when fishing for surf perch?

*Attached a photo of the hook I was using, as well as the end results in regards to getting the tails ripped off

Thanks!

fjLcp4G.jpg

Thread the sandworm on the hook so that the hook is on the tail end. With a short shank hook your mono and hook eye will be inside the worm

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think you're good, those may have just been reeeeally tiny perch, which is very common.. The bigger ones should have no problem with the presentation you have. I use 1/2-1oz egg sinker with light mono (~10lbs) or braid to light mono. I use the Lamiglas steelhead rod with a max lure weight of like an 1oz. I don't use the heavier weights and let the bait sit there like some guys do, I like to stay reeling and moving. *

Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial links here - thanks

12 hours ago, Double_D said:

Try fishing a .........Calissa!!!!!! Lure

What ever you do, don't associate your self with this guy :beatin: He is a known harvester and striper serial killer. 

As others have said here, you are probably experiencing the violent toothy nibbles of smaller perch, just means move around to find some bigger ones, usually the same sized fish hang out together in schools. I personally don't thread the gulp worms or grubs onto the hook but rather insert the hook right at the head of the grub or worm. Not only do I feel that I get more natural presentation and action on the grub or worm, but when a fish takes the grub or worm the hook is positioned right at the front lips, assuming its a decent fish. If I get nibbled like you are I keep moving until I find bigger class fish that will be able to swallow it whole, sometimes this mean moving to another beach all together.  Hey look on the bright side at least your getting action! 

15 hours ago, SweatyBadger said:

Hey all! Green horn here at Surf Fishing on the left coast. Looking for some advice on hook setting with surf perch. I'll get some massive strikes while using camo sandworms, but when I go to set the hook I find that I just pull the bait away.

If I try to leave the bait without setting, my lure ends up stripped...should I try to set on big strikes? Or is this an issue with the hooks Im using?

Been using Gamakatsu size 4 Bait holders.

Looking to hearing what you guys have learned, thanks!

Half a 2" sandworm is the trick, just as other have said. It doesn't seem to reduce the number of good perch I catch, just makes the short biters a little easier to hang.

Also, I don't swing on a perch bite. I usually slow down or stop the retrieve, drop the rod tip a little and let them do the rest. I find that I foul hook a lot of fish up around the eyes If I play professional TV bass fisherman and try to set the hook.

I use these hooks Re Barb in size 0/1 sometimes bigger helps keep the small fish off and  seems my hook ratio has been better since I made the change and always use Gulp Sand Worms ... going with braided line help also.

IMG_7884 (2).jpg

IMG_7895 (1).jpg

IMG_7898 (1).jpg

IMG_7900 (1).jpg

IMG_9995.jpg

With perch I don't really set the hook, I just keep reeling and they hook themselves.  As others have mentioned, it could be that you are getting nibbled by smaller perch.

If I'm using a sliding egg sinker setup I'll run a longer hook to sinker distance, 3 - 5' if the current isn't too strong.  I would get short-bit more often if I ran a shorter distance or a high/low rig.

I like the ReBarb wire hooks, too, they easily penetrate but are on the bigger side..  I also use the Lazer Sharp #4 hooks.    all of my past hook tying has been palomar knots, but lately I'm snelling the hooks, if it helps getting the hook set

+1 on letting them hook themselves--just keep reeling slowly. Also, the percentage of big ones in the mix goes way down in summer, so you are probably getting pulls from smaller fish. They can feel big. if I was anywhere near the Bay Area, I would be fishing for stripers in the summer, and targeting surf perch in winter and spring. 

I will double down on throwing a lucky craft or Calissa they will produce the best quality fish. Ive had many sessions harvesting 2lb - 3lb perch on these lures... they make amazing fish and chips and they make a very unique fish stock thats very tasty

i need practice with the lucky craft.  it seems like i cast it right into the crashing wave and then it just gets rolled up in the wave.  not sure how to work a retrieve when it's just rolling in the surf