Shawn Bell

OBX in the Fall

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Ok so it looks like the start to school is going to be Shite Show.   If my High school kids do not have sports we have decided we are coming down to Buxton for a vacation to salvage something from this Covid crap.   My question is when is a good time come down?   We have never come down in the fall usually too busy with football and cross country and field hockey.  Always spring or summer.   So what do you guys got?    What is the sweet spot?  When is the fishing better?

We have been OBX vacationers on a yearly basis since 97', until 2010 it was July for two weeks every year, since then its 2 weeks in September including this year. The fishing is disappointing as far as surf fishing for something that can pull some drag, a 3lb Spanish or small blue might be the best tangle you'll encounter. Now, the boats do well and the regular yahoo's do good off the piers at night for sharks, cobia and whatever else shows up. Its all small stuff in the surf, spot, mullet, croakers, pompano, most would need help to make 2lbs. Sand fleas, shrimp, worms are baits, small metal, gotcha's and rubber shads for artificials. 

Crabbing is good, fishing off the bridges is entertaining, but real surf fishing down there is from after Thanksgiving till Valentines Day. Stripers and blues are usually around in numbers around new years. I've never been there in March, April or May, maybe a run of blues is in order at that time. I do know June, July, August and September are better spent on a golf course or a boat. 

32 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

We have been OBX vacationers on a yearly basis since 97', until 2010 it was July for two weeks every year, since then its 2 weeks in September including this year. The fishing is disappointing as far as surf fishing for something that can pull some drag, a 3lb Spanish or small blue might be the best tangle you'll encounter. Now, the boats do well and the regular yahoo's do good off the piers at night for sharks, cobia and whatever else shows up. Its all small stuff in the surf, spot, mullet, croakers, pompano, most would need help to make 2lbs. Sand fleas, shrimp, worms are baits, small metal, gotcha's and rubber shads for artificials. 

Crabbing is good, fishing off the bridges is entertaining, but real surf fishing down there is from after Thanksgiving till Valentines Day. Stripers and blues are usually around in numbers around new years. I've never been there in March, April or May, maybe a run of blues is in order at that time. I do know June, July, August and September are better spent on a golf course or a boat. 

We have been coming down since ‘93 and the spring can be amazing for the drum.  Summer is more for Spanish and little stuff for the kids.  Looking for that fall run of drum

35 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Give April a shot.  Late Easter’s are usually when we have time off from school.  It has been spectacular a few times.  

Middle of October through XMAS and then maybe some after XMAS depending upon the weather.There is a reason all of the Surf Tournaments start the middle of October.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mid October into November for best fall fishing.  That is when you are most likely to hit a run of the big drum.  Larger bluefish can also be around then also.  Cape Point will be a popular place that time of the year, so be patient.  That time of the year surf casting (particularly for drum) is all about casting "8 and bait."  If you've got a rod that can cast 6 to 10 ounces of lead that's what you'll need to bring.  A big hunk of fresh mullet with a big sinker into fairly rough water is what you'll be doing doing.

Edited by johnbull

I usually go down the first or second week of October. Temps are nice, water is warm and the house rates are cheap. Fishing and surfing is good. The offshore bite is usually tuna and wahoo, some mahi. Mainly hoo.

this year, 2 trips, Family trip end or September into October then my boys trip Oct 10-17. Should be good.

I have also been down for Thanksgiving week. That’s nice too, but it’s somewhat popular now so it’s more crowded.

And the other thing is location. Not sure of your destination down there. I stay in Hatteras Village almost exclusively. The south side has warmer water generally, and in my opinion the fishing is better. If the winds are bad, I’ll go fish the north side but that’s what everyone does and Ramp 38 can get packed. I’ll go farther up a few ramps. 

From Buxton you're in a perfect spot.  You're close to Cape Point, but also mid-way between the Frisco and Avon beaches as well.  I assume you've got a 4WD vehicle.  If so, go to the National Seashore website and get an ORV permit so you can take advantage of the beaches.  That time of the year they are open all day.

1 hour ago, johnbull said:

From Buxton you're in a perfect spot.  You're close to Cape Point, but also mid-way between the Frisco and Avon beaches as well.  I assume you've got a 4WD vehicle.  If so, go to the National Seashore website and get an ORV permit so you can take advantage of the beaches.  That time of the year they are open all day.

Yep. All covered.  I have been to Hatteras almost every year for 20 years. Just never in the Fall because of football and cross country.