ermghoti

Another Canal EPO Bust: Now with Arrests and Gear Seizures

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

drove by stopped on road and looked at my hooks through binoculars and said I was all set. our rods were in rod holders and one had a scup rig on it and he didn't say anything about that. few people fishing for scup as well which he didn't bother. guy fishing next to me was using the pre tied striped bass rigs with a j hook and he got a talking to and eventually left.

Stalker,

Sorry, I wasn't specifically referring to you.  I was talking in generalities about the Bell Rd and MMA scup, bsb, and tog crowd.  I've been watching them all summer. It seems every undersized bsb is gut hooked. The majority of undersized scup and togs are as well.  However, every schoolie is hopelessly gut hooked.

Why not circles across the board?

18 mins ago, bob_G said:

I assume inertia, and resources. That said, while I use and generally prefer circles, one hard limitation is that a given size circle will only reliably catch up to a certain size fish, and obviously, down to a certain minimum size. For example, if I'm mixed bag fishing, I'll use 1/0-3/0 J or kahle hooks, that will catch everything from junior scup to buster BSB. I don't hook anything deeply, because I'm keeping the rod in hand. If I were targeting scup, I'd need a 1/0 circle, maybe 2/0 tops, which would exclude larger BSB. If I were targeting BSB, I'd need a 4/0 minimum, which would eliminate scup. That all said, if I were gut hooking stripers as an incidental catch, I'd move or change my rig, but obviously that's not universal. It's tough to legislate responsibility.

Maybe mandate circles only at certain locations where the smaller species are likely to be targeted where they coincide with small bass?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

You're kidding!  I'm impressed.

Ok, question.

You're fishing squid for scup.  But in the course of your scup fishing, you catch and injure many schoolie stripers.  

Should the reg mandate you using circles?

YES.  The only barrier is enforcement.  I'm always surprised that BSP and other big box retailers are allowed to sell trout magnet kits and other explicitly freshwater lead jigs under an ounce but the only enforcement I've ever seen has been in high-volume stocked waters.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Stalker,

Sorry, I wasn't specifically referring to you.  I was talking in generalities about the Bell Rd and MMA scup, bsb, and tog crowd.  I've been watching them all summer. It seems every undersized bsb is gut hooked. The majority of undersized scup and togs are as well.  However, every schoolie is hopelessly gut hooked.

I didn't take it towards me at all. I scup fish a lot back there and do very well but me personally I rarely get schoolies on my scup rigs with squid. probably around 1 in 100 odds but it still happens. I think the discard mortality for something like that is in existence but not enough to mandate circles across the board. I honestly don't think this circle thing is the solve all solution but will help some. I think a far greater solution and something I'm going to bring up at a hearing is the # of trebles on a plug/lure. how many times fishing a 2 trebled plug you get the front hook in the lip and the rear trebles rips or damages a gill raker and the fish is bleeding like a pig. hell I probably had that happen at least once an outing until I swapped to singles on the rear. now that problem is a lot more rare. we are in a game where the object is to put something sharp in a fishes mouth so there is no 100% guarantee but there is a lot we can do to minimize. 1 treble per lure maximum should be a rule and im going to fight for it. put a single or a flag on the rear and call it done. Then plug builders will be equipping there lures stock with appropriate legal hooks. most of these canal wannabes fish there lures straight out of the pack anyways so if they come out the pack like that unless they are illegally tampering with their hardware then all is good. obviously here come the the responses like oh there's not enough enforcement for that. I understand and agree with that but I like to rhink most of use as a whole follow the rules and by just making it a rule most will follow and make a impact. all sumed up 1 treble max and I guarantee there will be less floaters along the canal. rant over.

And if you're going to use trebles, at least crush the barbs. It make no difference in hook up ratio, but it makes unhooking them so much easier on the fish and fisherman alike.

First two days at the canal yesterday/today. The hype is real.

That being said, I witnessed my first canal line crossing arguments. It was between a googan and a fat guy wearing a “who farted?” T shirt (who was actually a good fisherman but a bit of a talker). Priceless stuff

Posted (edited) · Report post

Enforcement? You would literally have to put up a EPO shack right there at Bell Rd and have it manned 24/7. As soon as the EPO leaves everything goes back in the buckets. A lost cause unfortunately. 

Edited by Tailslap

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Enforcement? You would literally have to put up a EPO shack right there at Bell Rd and have it manned 24/7. As soon as the EPO leaves everything goes back in the buckets. A lost cause unfortunately. 

EPO should deputize Bob G.  He is always down there

Edited by Joe G