ermghoti

Another Canal EPO Bust: Now with Arrests and Gear Seizures

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

Care to share what brand? 

It has been covered on the MA forum. Not that hard to find because of just how rare it is to be caught, prosecuted and lose your license for years in MA. 

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

They do!

Not true

From Mass.Gov explaining the exemption

This exemption was granted on behalf of for-hire captains that supported a variance to the requirement given the distinct characteristics of their fishing operations. Specifically, they argued that the fishing activity of their patrons results in a lower discard mortality rate due to the experience and skill of the captain and crew, that their sector’s contribution to the overall recreational catch of striped bass is minor, and that the rate of retention of striped bass caught during their trips is higher than the general angling population. 

4 hours ago, Turkeybacn said:

Care to share what brand? 

Just to save you and anyone else the google search Lights Out Lures

Just now, Sandbar1 said:

Just to save you and anyone else the google search Lights Out Lures

Thanks. Someone sent me some info to read up on it earlier.

40 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Not true

From Mass.Gov explaining the exemption

This exemption was granted on behalf of for-hire captains that supported a variance to the requirement given the distinct characteristics of their fishing operations. Specifically, they argued that the fishing activity of their patrons results in a lower discard mortality rate due to the experience and skill of the captain and crew, that their sector’s contribution to the overall recreational catch of striped bass is minor, and that the rate of retention of striped bass caught during their trips is higher than the general angling population. 

Wow!  I didn’t know MA put that out !

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Wow!  I didn’t know MA put that out !

Yes, I was surprised at that exemption considering it still falls under the realm of recreational fishing.

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Yes, I was surprised at that exemption considering it still falls under the realm of recreational fishing.

I might bring that up at one of the meetings.

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I might bring that up at one of the meetings.

This is the entirety of the text from the DMF FAQ regarding this issue.

13. Why are anglers fishing aboard for-hire vessels exempt from the circle hook requirement?

This exemption was granted on behalf of for-hire captains that supported a variance to the requirement given the distinct characteristics of their fishing operations. Specifically, they argued that the fishing activity of their patrons results in a lower discard mortality rate due to the experience and skill of the captain and crew, that their sector’s contribution to the overall recreational catch of striped bass is minor, and that the rate of retention of striped bass caught during their trips is higher than the general angling population. Many for-hire captains indicated that they switch their anglers over to circle hooks after they’ve retained their limit of one fish. Whether this exemption carries forward into 2021, when the ASMFC circle hook mandate becomes effective, will depend on both the ASMFC’s approval and the continued cooperation of for-hire captains to minimize catch and release mortality of striped bass aboard their vessels

7 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

This is the entirety of the text from the DMF FAQ regarding this issue.

13. Why are anglers fishing aboard for-hire vessels exempt from the circle hook requirement?

This exemption was granted on behalf of for-hire captains that supported a variance to the requirement given the distinct characteristics of their fishing operations. Specifically, they argued that the fishing activity of their patrons results in a lower discard mortality rate due to the experience and skill of the captain and crew, that their sector’s contribution to the overall recreational catch of striped bass is minor, and that the rate of retention of striped bass caught during their trips is higher than the general angling population. Many for-hire captains indicated that they switch their anglers over to circle hooks after they’ve retained their limit of one fish. Whether this exemption carries forward into 2021, when the ASMFC circle hook mandate becomes effective, will depend on both the ASMFC’s approval and the continued cooperation of for-hire captains to minimize catch and release mortality of striped bass aboard their vessels

Aha! So it hasn’t been approved by the ASMFC! So there is still time to change it.

On 7/25/2020 at 6:27 PM, ged said:

The same tackle shops that sell plugs made by convicted poachers?

"But he's such a great guy" :rolleyes: 

On 7/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, foxfai said:

Ha, are they really going to run around and check everyone using circle hooks? What if I am fishing for bluefish? 

they checked my hooks on the canal yesterday. I could always say I'm fishing for bluefish though. my neighbor fishing got a fine for no circle hooks.

52 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

they checked my hooks on the canal yesterday. I could always say I'm fishing for bluefish though. my neighbor fishing got a fine for no circle hooks.

You're kidding!  I'm impressed.

Ok, question.

You're fishing squid for scup.  But in the course of your scup fishing, you catch and injure many schoolie stripers.  

Should the reg mandate you using circles?

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

You're kidding!  I'm impressed.

Ok, question.

You're fishing squid for scup.  But in the course of your scup fishing, you catch and injure many schoolie stripers.  

Should the reg mandate you using circles?

drove by stopped on road and looked at my hooks through binoculars and said I was all set. our rods were in rod holders and one had a scup rig on it and he didn't say anything about that. few people fishing for scup as well which he didn't bother. guy fishing next to me was using the pre tied striped bass rigs with a j hook and he got a talking to and eventually left.