ermghoti

Another Canal EPO Bust: Now with Arrests and Gear Seizures

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Circle hooks will be mandatory everywhere when fishing for striped bass starting next year.

Really?  Based on ... ?????

14 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Based on this: MassGov

"Beginning in 2021, the interstate management plan also mandates the use of circle hooks for all recreational striped bass fishing with natural bait throughout the stock’s range, with limited exceptions."

As for the pellet gun, thats a bit of a grey area. You arent allowed to carry a firearm, but Pellet guns arent classified as a firearm. Infact u can buy them without any form of ID.

Just now, Baitbucket said:

Based on this: MassGov

"Beginning in 2021, the interstate management plan also mandates the use of circle hooks for all recreational striped bass fishing with natural bait throughout the stock’s range, with limited exceptions."

As for the pellet gun, thats a bit of a grey area. You arent allowed to carry a firearm, but Pellet guns arent classified as a firearm. Infact u can buy them without any form of ID.

Got it.  " ... with natural bait ... " .  Which states?

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

The ASMFC approved striped bass management plan. It’s already been approved and most states are making the circle hook requirements mandatory in 2021.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

The ASMFC approved striped bass management plan. It’s already been approved and most states are making the circle hook requirements mandatory in 2021.

Ha, are they really going to run around and check everyone using circle hooks? What if I am fishing for bluefish? 

Edited by foxfai

6 hours ago, foxfai said:

Ha, are they really going to run around and check everyone using circle hooks? What if I am fishing for bluefish? 

Yes,  they will and have checked.  

15 hours ago, ged said:

The EPO are not “just doing their job”, but instead patrolling on a detail paid by ACOE?

That is how it was done in previously years , especially for the night shift. The new agreement between the corp and state may have changed that a little. The EPO'S have been more visual this year during the stealth times and as a result also more arrests.   We still have poachers on both sides still attempting to violate the laws inside the canal , but with the publicity on the arrests and the lack of fish itself only when the bait is around has made it a better environment for the resource itself . Peace and Prayers

17 hours ago, foxfai said:

They didn't even bother to establish what constituted an acceptable use of bait with an artificial lure when they wrote the legislation. There's a lot of gray in these regulations.

If they were actually at all serious about these requirements then for hire and private charters would also have to abide by the same circle hook regs.

1 hour ago, TroutGhost said:

I 100% applaud catching poachers and making them hurt by taking away their gear.

Makes me happy to hear this!
:)

Ditto.

Now if only the judges they come before don't release them with just a slap on the wrist (low $ fine, all gear returned), which is all too common.  

Since the epos made the arrests, I dunno where the name info gets posted. But i would assume its a matter of public record like any arrest by town or city cops.