ermghoti

Another Canal EPO Bust: Now with Arrests and Gear Seizures

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

1 min ago, foxfai said:

If canal is federal land, then that's private property isn't it? You can't get down there without passing the bank. Unless you get there by boat and stay at the high tide line.

There's a difference between federally owned land and private property. Different set of rules too. I'm guessing it was somewhere down the west end with abutting private property.

4 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Good start, now hammer some recreational poachers.

If any of the other 5 Brazilian s with the hefty bag cooler had comm permits they would have mentioned it

1 hour ago, TonyO said:

If any of the other 5 Brazilian s with the hefty bag cooler had comm permits they would have mentioned it

Commercial permits, forget that.  I'd be surprised if many of these guys have rec licenses or driver's licenses. :point:

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

Commercial permits, forget that.  I'd be surprised if many of these guys have rec licenses or driver's licenses. :point:

Not required if they are illegals........................

Something we all need to keep in mind.     All these EPO actions on the canal are nice, but they don't end there. These are paid details. Paid for by the ACOE.   At the end of each detail, the EPO submits a report to the ACOE.

The ACOE does not act impulsively.  They'll likely review these reports during the winter, and make corrections the following year.  This is why comm fishing was banned.  I can only see more restrictions, this time directed towards rec anglers coming next year.

Things are getting so out of control down there at times that a few more restrictions, if reasonable, wouldn't bother me one bit. Even catch and release for a few years until the stocks rebuild, circle hooks only, no barbs etc. should be considered as far as I'm concerned.

Fishing at night use to be a way to escape the crowds and insanity. That doesn't even always work now.

50 mins ago, Somethingsfishy said:

Things are getting so out of control down there at times that a few more restrictions, if reasonable, wouldn't bother me one bit. Even catch and release for a few years until the stocks rebuild, circle hooks only, no barbs etc. should be considered as far as I'm concerned.

Fishing at night use to be a way to escape the crowds and insanity. That doesn't even always work now.

When there isn’t a bite being blown up all over the internet the night crowds have still been slim to none IMO. Have done a dozen late night trips this summer and run into guys here and there. The fishing has been tough most of the time; coincidence? Doubt it. People are lazy if they aren’t told fish are flopping at their feet they stay home. 

3 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

When there isn’t a bite being blown up all over the internet the night crowds have still been slim to none IMO. Have done a dozen late night trips this summer and run into guys here and there. The fishing has been tough most of the time; coincidence? Doubt it. People are lazy if they aren’t told fish are flopping at their feet they stay home. 

I'm unfortunately no where near MA this season and I still know exactly which days the the canal produced fish, almost to the tide. So many guys on social media with absolutely zero common sense who will burn a bite a soon as it begins for internet "good by points". :dismay:

3 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I'm unfortunately no where near MA this season and I still know exactly which days the the canal produced fish, almost to the tide. So many guys on social media with absolutely zero common sense who will burn a bite a soon as it begins for internet "good by points":dismay:

I guess some feel the need to collect "likes" ??? :worms:

1 hour ago, Somethingsfishy said:

Circle hooks will be mandatory everywhere when fishing for striped bass starting next year.

23 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

There's a difference between federally owned land and private property. Different set of rules too. I'm guessing it was somewhere down the west end with abutting private property.

You would be correct . These night poachers have been fishing on private property as well as taking illegal fish with out permission from the home owners to fish from there [property It also is part of the federal property as well as you know. Peace and prayers

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Something we all need to keep in mind.     All these EPO actions on the canal are nice, but they don't end there. These are paid details. Paid for by the ACOE.   At the end of each detail, the EPO submits a report to the ACOE.

The ACOE does not act impulsively.  They'll likely review these reports during the winter, and make corrections the following year.  This is why comm fishing was banned.  I can only see more restrictions, this time directed towards rec anglers coming next year.

The EPO are not “just doing their job”, but instead patrolling on a detail paid by ACOE?