ermghoti

Another Canal EPO Bust: Now with Arrests and Gear Seizures

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

Just saw on social media: several arrests among an individual with a commercial license and fish, and a group for various citations in the vicinity of eight abandoned bass and a realistic pellet pistol that they couldn't pin on anyone. Good start, now hammer some recreational poachers.

This was being talked about on the canal last night, but details were sketchy. 

Realistic pellet pistol huh?  Sounds like the stakes are getting higher all the time.  

:dismay:

Just read the whole narrative on the Ma EPO FB page.  

Poaching fish is one thing, but hiding a pistol,  even a realistic pellet pistol takes this to another level.  These guys were prepared to intimidate anyone who stood in their way.

Wasn't that long ago the canal was a fun place to fish and hang out.   It appears those days are over.

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

Just read the whole narrative on the Ma EPO FB page.  

Poaching fish is one thing, but hiding a pistol,  even a realistic pellet pistol takes this to another level.  These guys were prepared to intimidate anyone who stood in their way.

Wasn't that long ago the canal was a fun place to fish and hang out.   It appears those days are over.

^^This. Keeping a fake pistol in reserve if needed is a whole new level of scumbaggery. :dismay:

13 mins ago, Intrepid95 said:

Is it illegal to possess a pellet pistol on the Canal?

The canal is on federal property. So to answer your question yes it is. Just like national parks you can’t carry in those. 

42 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Just saw on social media: several arrests among an individual with a commercial license and fish, and a group for various citations in the vicinity of eight abandoned bass and a realistic pellet pistol that they couldn't pin on anyone. Good start, now hammer some recreational poachers.

Would love to find out the guys name who holds the commercial permit. Then out him on a public site, dirtball. 

4 mins ago, gray gables said:

The canal is on federal property. So to answer your question yes it is. Just like national parks you can’t carry in those. 

Given the location, the fish and the pellet pistol were on private property, hence the trespassing charge.   I'll bet these guys knew that even a pellet pistol on federal property was a crime,  so they hide it with the fish on private property.

The post also mentions "five individuals fishing on posted private property." I thought according to MA law, the tideline was fair game for fishing. Is this not true at the canal?

3 mins ago, joe0306 said:

The post also mentions "five individuals fishing on posted private property." I thought according to MA law, the tideline was fair game for fishing. Is this not true at the canal?

Yeah I’m curious were they were busted? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, bob_G said:

Given the location, the fish and the pellet pistol were on private property, hence the trespassing charge.   I'll bet these guys knew that even a pellet pistol on federal property was a crime,  so they hide it with the fish on private property.

It seems that the pellet gun and 8 fish in the bag were abandoned and the suspects got away.  I read it as a separate group were the ones who were caught trespassing.

Edited by joe0306

2 hours ago, joe0306 said:

If canal is federal land, then that's private property isn't it? You can't get down there without passing the bank. Unless you get there by boat and stay at the high tide line.