Tica Dolphin Upgrade

Rate this topic

Islander80

I am looking for a rod for throwing 2oz stingsilvers on the top end and 3/8 jigs with gulp on the bottom. Going after Taylor blues/Spanish mackerel and trout/puppy drum from open beaches on the northern obx. Needs to be a two-piece to fit in my car. 

I have been using a Tica Dolphin 9' 1/2-3oz and have been happy with it overall but it lacks a little on the bottom end of my lure range. So I am looking for something a little nicer that also performs better on the bottom end of my weight range but can still crush a 2oz stingsilver. 

Was thinking about a century ss1025 or ss1145 but would like to know what else you recommend. I don't mind spending top dollar for something that is a pleasure to fish.

Thanks in advance,

Islander

Edited by Islander80
Spell check

You won't find a rod that is going to throw that whole range perfectly. I do have a 10ft Suzuki paired with a stradic 5k and 15lb diamond braid, I've thrown xr10s to 2oz bucktails. I'd recommend picking up some 1.5oz clarkspoon stick jigs or shore lures, it really slings those.

I had never even heard of the Rockaway line - had to look them up. They have a couple that look like they may do the trick. I was ready to drop 400+ for a century but for 100 bucks I will give it a try. If it's not what I am looking for it will be a spare and I will go see Ryan.

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 6:35 PM, Islander80 said:

I had never even heard of the Rockaway line - had to look them up. They have a couple that look like they may do the trick. I was ready to drop 400+ for a century but for 100 bucks I will give it a try. If it's not what I am looking for it will be a spare and I will go see Ryan.

Did it hit the spot?

On 7/23/2020 at 6:39 PM, Jcallaham said:

For that task I have a 10'black hole Suzuki special,I highly recommend it. If I were to start over I would look at the okuma Rockaway and maybe save a 100 bucks

Okuma Rockaway - is that new? Looks like a pretty good value