Steve in Mass

Opera is Racist.........

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Or so claims the NYT.......and classical music as well....

Opera Can No Longer Ignore Its Race Problem

By Joshua Barone
July 16, 2020

In late May, shortly after the killing of George Floyd, the mezzo-soprano J’Nai Bridges was invited by Los Angeles Opera to give a virtual recital.

“As much as I wanted to, I wasn’t in the right emotional space to present myself in that way,” she later recalled in an online discussion with the tenor Lawrence Brownlee. So she made a counteroffer: What if she assembled a group of fellow Black singers for a panel on race and inequality in opera?

The company said yes, and as Black Lives Matter protests raged across the country, Ms. Bridges moderated a nearly 90-minute conversation of striking scope and candor — by turns a group-therapy session and an improvised manifesto for the future of an art form that historically has elevated select singers of color while remaining overwhelmingly white offstage, from the rehearsal room to the board room.

Airing as a Facebook Live video, the panel has since been seen by more than 60,000 people. It should be required viewing for all leaders of American opera companies, and sent to the members of every board. Because if there ever was a moment for sweeping change, it’s now.

The coronavirus pandemic has closed theaters nationwide, forcing companies, whose seasons are typically scheduled far in advance, to rethink the coming years with a level of flexibility and creativity that once seemed unimaginable. But with upheaval comes an opportunity, and the end of excuses, to truly reform opera’s culture — to place anti-racism front and center as the industry rebuilds itself.

HOW TO CHANGE CLASSICAL MUSIC

Opera companies can start by simply paying attention to what Black artists are saying in discussions like the one organized by Ms. Bridges, or in online talk shows such as Mr. Brownlee’s “The Sitdown With LB” and the soprano Karen Slack’s “Kiki Konversations.” While the problems that have come up in these conversations are nothing new, they have new urgency at a time of racial unrest that many say just feels different — a time at which, as Ms. Bridges put it, “people are listening.”

There is  a whole lot more in the article, but I won't bore you with their bull****, you can read it here:

(Never mind, the software doesn't like NYT links - Can't say I blame it, at least the software knows bullcrap when it sees it.... ;) 

Just Google "Opera deemed racist and it is one of the first things listed.)

Edited by Steve in Mass

Everything and everyone is racist. Always has been. Always wil be. 

Wait until they figure out Wagner. 

I can't even imagine the glass breaking REEEEEEEEEEEEEs coming from an opera singer. That weird chick in the memes has nothing on those fat lady singers. 

I wonder how many patrons of opera are black? How many big donors of the opera companies? Is this just another fabrication of an issue? Seems like it to me.

the NYT is a dishrag.

I told you these balloon knots were coming fore culture.

Next on the list is Jazz and Hokeypokey's bob marley t-shirt collection.

Hokey is the silent bob of the PG

Just now, Steve_in_PA said:

Simple solution.  Create some hip-hop themed operas and you won't have any problem getting an integrated cast.

and they'll suck .

Just like they ruined the libretto to Verdi's "i vespri siciliani" to remove references to moors.

1 min ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Simple solution.  Create some hip-hop themed operas and you won't have any problem getting an integrated cast.

LOL gang banger opera. 

Isn't that what The Wiz was all about? Maybe they could retool it, throw in a couple of fat ladies and go to town with it. I'd go just out of curiosity. 

Just now, SallyGrowler said:

and they'll suck .

Just like they ruined the libretto to Verdi's "i vespri siciliani" to remove references to moors.

I think they should give it a try.  The liberal mindset should get the opportunity to experience life first hand.

1 min ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I think they should give it a try.  The liberal mindset should get the opportunity to experience life first hand.

They did it with Hamilton.

and now they want it cancelled because slaves.

You're ghey if you like Hamilton. Just sayin.

11 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

How many big donors of the opera companies? 

Do your research Mike.  Half of the big opera houses in the US havebeen majority funded by wealthy black donors for going on 80 years now.

Spike Lee, Denzel, Oprah, Kim Kardashian, Jamie Fox... The list of black Opera supporters goes on and on and reads like a whos who.

9 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Hip-H'Opera?

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.08.40 AM.png

5 mins ago, 55555s said:

Do your research Mike.  Half of the big opera houses in the US havebeen majority funded by wealthy black donors for going on 80 years now.

Spike Lee, Denzel, Oprah, Kim Kardashian, Jamie Fox... The list of black Opera supporters goes on and on and reads like a whos who.

Hip-H'Opera?

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.08.40 AM.png

BTW, prior to about 1970, and especially prior to the 1950's, many opera houses were also home to burlesque shows.

I was lucky enough to sneak into a couple in the late 60s as a teenager.

Very interesting audience with many wearing tuxedos.  Women dolled up in their best.

And the time the stripper picked me out of the audience.

1 hour ago, Fishy Fisher said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Good one! 

Wasn't The Who's Tommy billed as a Rock n Roll opera?

Why not a Hip Hop opera?

Opera is fading culture, populated by old people.

If the young folks don't see value in it, it will become a faded memory in a couple of generations.

It was never my thing, opera...but, I was at a birthday dinner once, and an opera singer was on staff at the place, and sang Happy Birthday to the guest of honor, and man, I was blown away by the power and projection of her voice. This chick, a rather robust woman, of ample girth, had some power in her lungs I had never heard before, or since. It gave me new appreciation of the art.

The day Superstorm Sandy hit I was at Jones Beach Field 10 over by the rocks that run west along the shore next to the piers.  That parking lot has always had a weird energy to me.  It feels like a strange mix of families and loners with mental health problems that make them pier fishermen.

There was scraggly shore brush between me and the parking lot when I heard an obviously amateur singer start up back there, as soon as she got out of her car I'm picturing , and I'm rolling my eyes like, "Oh, great."

You know those chicks that think the only thing between them and stardom is belting out a few notes in front of people that don't want any part of this?

It sounded like opera. 

Then she started doing scales and I'm like, "Oh ****."

Then it hit me.  I recognized the song.  The guy in the booth at the entrance totally has his girlfriend in there.  There was no rhythm, so I can only assume he was eating the bearded clam.

Booth was gone in a matter of hours.

Edited by Ellar