Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

Hyannis / Helen H Cod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

John P.

2 weeks ago friends of mine did well on the Helen H. Had 50 cod in the first hour(that's for the whole boat), and then a steady pick for the rest of the trip. Two days later a guy from work went and caught 18. Sounded like they were doing well, Good Luck if you go.

Whoops almost forgot, the trip including bus up, hogie's and drink was $175.

------------------

Tight lines, and big bass

Brian F.

[This message has been edited by animal60 (edited 12-02-2000).]

Ditch that was a charter. That's why they rented a greydog for the ride up from NJ. It was also a fund raiser for a club so I don't know what the per man cost was just to fish.

------------------

Tight lines, and big bass

Brian F.

[This message has been edited by animal60 (edited 12-02-2000).]

I have several friends that fish the Helen H on a regular basis and for the most part Jigging is theway to go,but bait can be very productive at times. The best jigs are the diamond shape and a pink tied teaser. The bait rig and jig rig can only have two hooks,the treble on the jig counts as one hook. They reguire a deposit and the fair is around 135 dollars. THe mates are generally given a tipplus a dollar per fish for filleting. The pool is 20 dollars and if one should be lucky enough to catch the big fish then you will have cash for the rest of the year to fish. The boat will have about 40 fishers. Each fisher is let on the boat to get a spot depending upon when they make a reservation for that day. You will find people fishing that have experience to those that have none at all. For the most part they fish in water that is shallower than what is found at Stellwagon and most of the fish will be cod. A stout rod7-9 feet is recommended ,with Spectron or whiplash on a reel[Penn 330 or the Penn 113hs. The recent fishing has been excellant as has been indicated to me by my friends that go frequently. The last trip he took was several weeks ago and fishing with bait and catching multitudes of double managed to put away over 50 pounds of fillets. To be prepared to fish your wieghts and jigs should be in the 16 -20 ounce range and a fewer jigs and wieght that will exceed the 20 ounce range should they go into deeper water. The mates are great and you will find the boat catches fish.Angler

Angler#1's information is 100% correct!

The Helen H is a great boat and the mates are superb! Check the 97 Pro-Issue of the Saltwater Sportsman, Article "Tricks of the Party Boat Pros", written by Curt Garfield! There is plenty of hows to tips about cod fishing! In the article I have revealed two of my secret tips that has won many pools.

"Crazy" Alberto