BrianBM

Mikkelson Epoxy Baitfish Materials List

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I could swear that someone asked for a materials list.  Now I can't find the post.  If you're still looking, here's the list from the saltyflyrodders dot org  site.

Hook: 1/0 down to #8 SW

Thread: White size A

Tail: White  bucktail

Flash Green and pearl krystal flash

Body: Silver braid

Wing: Green Bucktail

Rib: One strand of compatible Flashabou

Eyes: small silver and black stick on eyes.

Here's a funny note. The photo that illustrates the fly isn't green at all. It's the photo from Innovative Saltwater Flies, for his Lavender Sand Eel, which calls for lavender bucktail under olive dun bucktail. I like the look of pearlescent or grey ghost Krystal flash, too. I am tying a few with the green over yellow over white color scheme of Ray's Fly, but the fish have yet to post judgement on any of them.

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I could swear that someone asked for a materials list.  Now I can't find the post.  If you're still looking, here's the list from the saltyflyrodders dot org  site.

Hook: 1/0 down to #8 SW

Thread: White size A

Tail: White  bucktail

Flash Green and pearl krystal flash

Body: Silver braid

Wing: Green Bucktail

Rib: One strand of compatible Flashabou

Eyes: small silver and black stick on eyes.

Here's a funny note. The photo that illustrates the fly isn't green at all. It's the photo from Innovative Saltwater Flies, for his Lavender Sand Eel, which calls for lavender bucktail under olive dun bucktail. I like the look of pearlescent or grey ghost Krystal flash, too. I am tying a few with the green over yellow over white color scheme of Ray's Fly, but the fish have yet to post judgement on any of them.

Cheers! A great & useful saltwater fly!

MikkelsonEpoxyChartreuse_1400x.jpg.a4969a1f863a330fafefa1e31493ebfb.jpg

5f175f810861d_Mikelson2.jpeg.ba1fe5371a37428156c9f60baf1f264d.jpeg

I was the one asking (on the thread "Underwhelmed by Renzetti") and I was asking about the lavender one as you had referred to it (from Veverka's "Innovative Saltwater Flies"). I have two pictures of it, the one you refer to and another one from "Atlantic Flies" posted on SOL in 2013, but I couldn't figure out the color of the bucktail in the wing over the lavender BT and I wasn't sure about the  color of Krystal Flash. Looked to me like silver in the second picture. So that's why I asked about the list of materials from the Veverka book.   

Ah!  The recipe in the book calls for a little bit of dun bucktail over the Lavender wing.

The more I play with the lavender, the better I like how it looks. The past few days have been obnoxiously hot, so I haven't fished. Now I want to get down to the water's edge and swim a few, just to see how they look.

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

Ah!  The recipe in the book calls for a little bit of dun bucktail over the Lavender wing.

The more I play with the lavender, the better I like how it looks. The past few days have been obnoxiously hot, so I haven't fished. Now I want to get down to the water's edge and swim a few, just to see how they look.

Brian, post a pic?   We all do and I'd like to see the recipe as finished.

HT

Ummm.  The picture on the saltyflyrodders dot org is taken from the  book.  As for my own tying, I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.

Glen's recipe in the book calls for two different Krystal Flashes, silver and another - I'm using pearlescent. The part that gives me agita is getting the braided tinsel (I'm using Bill's Bodi-Braid, silver) and a strand of "complementary Flashabou nicely trapped at the rear of the fly. The book is misleading; it says four strands of Flashabou, where it's clearly four turns of a single strand of flashabou, that is meant. Glen mentions the use of multiple nail polishes on the head of the fly. Not me, thank you, and I haven't bothered using a bit of red tinsel for gills either.

Great looking fly.  No offense to Mr. Mikkelson, but my old fishing buddy Lyle Robertson from Middleton RI introduced that same fly (more or less) to me 20 years ago while fishing the ponds in and around Newport. I chalk that up to "great minds think alike." The Mikkelson fly takes it up a notch with the two tones (ventral and dorsal) and the ribbing.  Very nice touch & thanks for posting Kirona.  I think I'll be tying up a few batches for albies this fall. 

So are Lyle's.  The point wasn't who was first, because if you really pull that thread, it was Joe Brooks's Blonde and then whoever inspired Popovics to coat a streamer fly with epoxy.  To me anyways, it's just interesting to see how different fly fishermen & tiers develop such similar patterns or solutions independently over the course of time. Cheers.