RyanJ_88

Art of Surfcasting (other book recs)

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys,

So unfortunately I'm not able to make it to the water as much as I'd like right now, my wife is 7.5 months pregnant and we just bought a house. So been looking for some decent reads with some downtime upcoming and was hoping someone has a copy of the Art of Surfcasting by Zeno that they would be willing to part with. Also willing to hear any other recommendations for other good fishing oriented books. Already read Striper Pursuit and Fishing the Bucktail. Thanks everyone!

-Ryan

Edited by RyanJ_88

Posted (edited) · Report post

Surfcaster's Quest by Roy Rowan. Not as much of a how-to as some fishing books, more of a vibe.  The author was quite an interesting guy.

Congrats on the house and baby!

Edited by NedRyerson

Check your local library and interlibrary loan to see if you can get The Art of Surfcasting

Also, I'll recommend: 

Casting Into the Light by Janet Messineo 

On the Run by David Dibenedetto

Congrats! 

adding to the above list:

• Entertainment (and some how-to info):  The Big One: An Island, an Obsession, and the Furious Pursuit of a Great Fish by David Kinney
  • How-to info (and some entertainment):  Striper Pursuit: Surf Fishing Beyond the Basics by John Skinner

Skinner's first book "a season on the edge". DZ's book " surfcasting around the block "

Frank's books "20 years on the cape" and "eastern tides" are some my favorites.

16 hours ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Hey guys,

So unfortunately I'm not able to make it to the water as much as I'd like right now, my wife is 7.5 months pregnant and we just bought a house. So been looking for some decent reads with some downtime upcoming and was hoping someone has a copy of the Art of Surfcasting by Zeno that they would be willing to part with. Also willing to hear any other recommendations for other good fishing oriented books. Already read Striper Pursuit and Fishing the Bucktail. Thanks everyone!

-Ryan

you won't have any time except wanting to sleep , you'll be up changing diapers but congratulations!!

21 hours ago, NedRyerson said:

Surfcaster's Quest by Roy Rowan. Not as much of a how-to as some fishing books, more of a vibe.  The author was quite an interesting guy.

Congrats on the house and baby!

Thanks Ned! Also great handle lol

21 hours ago, harley48 said:

You're going to have a hard time finding that one, its out of print.  You can get the ebook on amazon for $9.99

Thats what I thought-- thanks for the heads up!

16 hours ago, Mike Lang said:

Here is one of my favorite books in regards Surfcasting.  I annually fish up on the Cape, and reread the ol' times in this book, its a quick very interesting type of read written by a true legend.

Twenty years on the Cape, by Frank Daignault

https://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Years-Cape-Time-Surfcaster/dp/0929775023

Thanks Mike!!

16 hours ago, bran_dj said:

Check your local library and interlibrary loan to see if you can get The Art of Surfcasting

Also, I'll recommend: 

Casting Into the Light by Janet Messineo 

On the Run by David Dibenedetto

Congrats! 

Thanks DJ!

12 hours ago, TimeAndTide said:

adding to the above list:

• Entertainment (and some how-to info):  The Big One: An Island, an Obsession, and the Furious Pursuit of a Great Fish by David Kinney
  • How-to info (and some entertainment):  Striper Pursuit: Surf Fishing Beyond the Basics by John Skinner

Skinners book was very informative, actually been watching the ********** season about montauk with the same title as your handle, Time and Tide, and its wild to hear all the old time stories. Makes me wish I couldve been out there 40-50 years ago!!