jjdbike

Summer surf, jetty and inlet fluke: What's in your bag?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Soooo we're coming into the summer doldrums. Depending on the time and place, there might be snapper or taylor blues, small schoolie stripers, northern kingfish, dog fish, cow nose rays, if we're lucky...various hardtails (small pelagics). Arguably, the mainstay of the summer surf are fluke. That being said, I wonder what we all carry w/ us in the surf, jetties and inlet to large fluke? 

Most of us use various sizes, colors, and shapes of Gulp. 

Some use plan lead heads, while some use Bucktails. 

We often use a teaser about the jig. Some simple use a bait holder hook, while other use a hair or health teasers or even a small light bucktail. 

Some simply use a bank sinker w/ two dropper loops w/ two teasers.

To my question, what do you carry in the July and August surf, jetties and inlets for fluke?

I look forward to your responces.

JD

Bucktails 3/4-3oz, gulp minnows and grubs, jerk shads, sinkers 2-6oz, pre tied chicken rigs, pre tied bucktail teaser rigs, pre tied leaders with ta clip if I want to fish a single, diamond jigs tins (1-4oz), two diff size poppers, epoxy jigs

I ditched the swivel this year and tie a 12 pound mono leader to the 15 lb braid with an alberto knot. I tie a dropper loop with a 2/0 bait holder hook for a fishbite or swimming mullet and use a bucktail with an end loop. I basically got rid of all unnecessary hardware. The only keepers i've gotten this year have been on the bucktails (1/2 oz) with a 5" mullet. Ive had success with "dantes" (nobody has told me yet why the lure company's name is censored here) lures that have a silicone skirt rather than bucktail hair. I'm using a 7ft medium rod and 3500 reel

12 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Bucktails, Gulp, small epoxy minnows, couple kastmasters, small popper.

Sounds like an well rounded compact collection to cover the water from surface to bottom.

11 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Bucktails 3/4-3oz, gulp minnows and grubs, jerk shads, sinkers 2-6oz, pre tied chicken rigs, pre tied bucktail teaser rigs, pre tied leaders with ta clip if I want to fish a single, diamond jigs tins (1-4oz), two diff size poppers, epoxy jigs

Sounds like have a  lot of options. Sounds like the waters you fish from shore must be deep with some heavy current. In the waters I fish I can not imagine using more than two oz. 1/2, 3/4 & 1 does it for me. I have on rare occasion gone to a 2 oz bank sinker at end of leader and a dropper to deliver a bait to or just beyond the second bar.

10 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Summertime I like lighter tackle. 1oz and under. 

Mainly fish metals & jigs 

Yup, me too.

I weaver between plan leaded jig heads and bucktails. Most of the time the jig & gulp w/ no hair needed. The upside of hair, feathers or silicone skirt in the summer, If snappers destroy you gulp, you've still got a lure. Also, sometimes I think the bigger profile of the bucktaill can motivate larger lazy units and weed out some of the postage stamps.

9 hours ago, BobBass said:

I ditched the swivel this year and tie a 12 pound mono leader to the 15 lb braid with an alberto knot. I tie a dropper loop with a 2/0 bait holder hook for a fishbite or swimming mullet and use a bucktail with an end loop. I basically got rid of all unnecessary hardware. The only keepers i've gotten this year have been on the bucktails (1/2 oz) with a 5" mullet. Ive had success with "dantes" (nobody has told me yet why the lure company's name is censored here) lures that have a silicone skirt rather than bucktail hair. I'm using a 7ft medium rod and 3500 reel

I like the idea of limiting unneeded tackle. If you can tie a good braid to leader knot, the swivel is unneeded. Swivel can also crack your top guid ring or attract bite offs.

I have a conflicted relationship with the loop at the end to attach lure. I like that it gets through all lures, even jigs w/ thick fat eyes. I worry that it negatively impacts movement and the way a lure swims.

Thanks for all of your answers!

JD

18 hours ago, BobBass said:

I ordered a bunch of skirts years ago to put on my leadheads but I never caught anything on them. Maybe I'll take them out of the mothball bin.

20 hours ago, BobBass said:

I like your style of keeping it light. Ditched all my hardware last year and havent looked back.

3 ft  leader ,dropper loop With gulp 3 Ounce wt maybe 4 ounce if it’s choppy .might use a fluke ball instead of the weight .Nothing fancy don’t catch them with this rig I’m not going to catch them 

11 mins ago, suntzu said:

All of the above +

snapper popper

love fishing a live snapper now and again, avoids the smalls

Cool,

if you don’t mind....what’s a snapper popper?

15 mins ago, GeoffT said:

Snapper popper

afw_snapper_popper_rigs__83755.1425392190.jpg

Cool thanks.

I've never seen one of those.  I'm guessing that's a weighted popper - float? I'm also guessing this would be more of a back bay off the docks kind of lure than in the surf?

The challenge now is, we have a limit of 3.

JD