JamesJet

Shed / small barn design

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I am thinking through a future build and wondering what folks here have as some guidance on size/shape/style and or lessons learned?  I need it to for mostly storage of a good amount of yard tools plus perhaps the family’s bikes and some random stuff.  Big stuff is a z turn mower, snowblower, spreader, power washer, leaf blower, wheelbarrow and other smaller stuff.  Was thinking also having an overhang would be nice to cover a 13 ft whaler and the log splitter.  I have a basement workshop area and a garage already so don’t need that.  Well I had a garage, now it’s basically a huge storage container......pics and or thoughts are all welcome. 

From what you want to put in there you will need double doors. For size I would group all the stuff you want to cram in there on your lawn, imagine the doorway and spread it out so you can maneuver things out . The get some basic measurements to see what your dealing with. Bikes you can probably hang on hooks. Some of your stuff may tuck under some shelves to maximize space.

Build a double shed w/ 2 diff entrances. One with a ramp for blowers & mowers, one with shelves & bike racks for everything else. This way you won't have to continually move things to get to mower. Sounds like you got kids so you know nothing removed ever gets put back. Usually just dropped at the door.

Gambrel roof to maximize headroom.

Barn doors on each end.

Ramps.

Shed roof overhang off the rafter hip.

T 1-11 is great for sheds. It's your sheathing and siding in one. Paint or stain.

10 hours ago, gray gables said:

Go as big as you can the first time. If you don’t you’ll regret it in the future. 

And overhangs. So much can be stored under them and can be enclosed in the future.

Thanks everyone, some great feedback.  The doors on either end makes a lot of sense design wise and the literal mapping things out will help put it all in perspective.  I have a small addition I am going for a permit on and with all the regs I figured get this on there at the same time if I could, even if the build is a year out.  Keep them coming if you think of anything else.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 entrances gives you that much less wall space to hang things on.   i purchased a 16x16 and the window and double door are on the same wall.

got free kitchen cabinets for one wall with a counter top work bench. made my self a loft the full width for more storage.  used those dollar store red j hooks and screwed them into joists to hang bicycles.   i attached 2 hole pvc straps to the bottom side of the loft floor for my fishing poles.put a so called chair rail around the two walls to put rakes and shovels and such in between the upright  studs for storage .built a small corner shelf for the air compressor.left enough space in the corner to put my stackable tool boxes in next to the work bench. also installed a 120v in the wall heater . one led flat panel lights up the entire area.  one receptacle and one light switch  also have a 4ft wiremold strip with 5 receptacles fixed to the wall in between the window and door with cord and plug in case more receptacles are needed  stand up grinder under the window.  drill press at one end of the work bench and a vise in the middle. 

harley is in it, lawnmower, riding mower,snow blower,leaf vacuum, 3 ton floor jack and bike jack and pressure washer. all my crab traps are up in the loft with other stuff

Edited by coolhandfluke

Here’s mine. Holds my lawn tractor off season as well as my ATV, chainsaws, has a row of windows off the left side and I put a potting bench in below the windows. Would I like bigger? Of course, but the town said under 200 sq ft and all I needed was a rough diagram of where it would be placed on the lot relative to my house and a check for 50 bucks. Anything over 200 ft needed a ton more work and expense, review by the Planning and Zoning Commission, etc. 

E1FD0186-C32D-4235-BBCC-2F2E67CD7C8C.jpeg.d12ce0a5fef8f5c0d818e36cc17449e1.jpeg

i didnt pull a permit when mine was delivered.  its not a permanent fixture. its sitting on a bed of stone, no concrete foundation

on a side note, my first one was crushed by a falling tree during straight line wind storm , now there is no chance of that happening.

the roof came down to a point 2 inches above the harley and the funny thing was the day before, we sent off the last payment for the bike.

Edited by coolhandfluke

49 mins ago, Good2Go said:

Here’s mine. Holds my lawn tractor off season as well as my ATV, chainsaws, has a row of windows off the left side and I put a potting bench in below the windows. Would I like bigger? Of course, but the town said under 200 sq ft and all I needed was a rough diagram of where it would be placed on the lot relative to my house and a check for 50 bucks. Anything over 200 ft needed a ton more work and expense, review by the Planning and Zoning Commission, etc. 

E1FD0186-C32D-4235-BBCC-2F2E67CD7C8C.jpeg.d12ce0a5fef8f5c0d818e36cc17449e1.jpeg

That’s sort of the opposite as me, I already needed to open the can of worms with my town and realize I likely dint want to open it again.  I feel like I need more that 200 is my concern so I figured get it all stamped at once.  It’s a last minute thought and I could certainly skip it and go back to the town a year from now but am leaning towards it being easier all at once.  

Another thought, not sure how far away the electric panel is, but a light and a few outlets never hurt. With all the battery powered tools today I might be a good idea.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:12 PM, gray gables said:

Go as big as you can the first time. If you don’t you’ll regret it in the future. 

Agreed

I have the room and didn't build what I should have. 20x40.   I went with 16x32 with a shed roof on one end for the tractor.

Looking back I wish I had gone bigger as my wife took the upstairs and 1/3 of the lower.

Another way to look at it though is build what you need and stop buying "stuff".