flyangler

Wokescolds Claim Another High Profile Media Scalp

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Is there any end to this? First Bari Weiss from the NYT and now this. 

Andrew Sullivan is theoretically a conservative in the traditional sense, though he hates Trump. As a out gay man, his voice on big social issues found an audience on both the right and the left. However, his common sense views of the world, public discourse, reasoned debate and the innate freedom to express one's ideas were too much for the wokescolds who cannot be told they are tyrants.

Sullivan should have been "on their side" but they drove him out because his words "physically" injured the delicate snowflakes. 

We need a good "war" to flush this insanity out of our system. 

Andrew Sullivan on his ousting from New York Magazine: Staff believed my columns were 'physically harming' them

'A critical mass of the staff and management at New York Magazine and Vox Media no longer want to associate with me,' the columnist wrote

21 hours ago

Andrew Sullivan penned his last op-ed in New York Magazine on Friday after previously announcing that he would no longer be a columnist for the outlet.

Sullivan began the column by stressing that the magazine "has every right to hire and fire anyone it wants when it comes to the content of what it wants to publish," but also indicated "the quality of my work does not appear to be the problem."

"What has happened, I think, is relatively simple: A critical mass of the staff and management at New York Magazine and Vox Media no longer want to associate with me, and in a time of ever tightening budgets, I’m a luxury item they don’t want to afford. And that’s entirely their prerogative," Sullivan explained. "They seem to believe, and this is increasingly the orthodoxy in mainstream media, that any writer not actively committed to critical theory in questions of race, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity is actively, physically harming co-workers merely by existing in the same virtual space. Actually attacking, and even mocking, critical theory’s ideas and methods, as I have done continually in this space, is therefore out of sync with the values of Vox Media. That, to the best of my understanding, is why I’m out of here."

The columnist reiterated thoughts he made years ago about how "we all live on campus now," noting the increasingly limited exchange of ideas on college campuses has spilled into everyday life and pointed to a survey that showed only 1.46 percent of the faculty at Harvard University identify as "conservative."

"But that’s probably higher than the proportion of journalists who call themselves conservative at the New York Times or CNN or New York Magazine," Sullivan wrote. "And maybe it’s worth pointing out that 'conservative” in my case means that I have passionately opposed Donald J. Trump and pioneered marriage equality, that I support legalized drugs, criminal-justice reform, more redistribution of wealth, aggressive action against climate change, police reform, a realist foreign policy, and laws to protect transgender people from discrimination. I was one of the first journalists in established media to come out. I was a major and early supporter of Barack Obama. I intend to vote for Biden in November."

"It seems to me that if this conservatism is so foul that many of my peers are embarrassed to be working at the same magazine, then I have no idea what version of conservatism could ever be tolerated. And that’s fine. We have freedom of association in this country, and if the mainstream media want to cut ties with even moderate anti-Trump conservatives, because they won’t bend the knee to critical theory’s version of reality, that’s their prerogative. It may even win them more readers, at least temporarily," he continued.

Sullivan then took the opportunity to announce that he was reviving his old blog the Dish,  which he says he will now be able to write "freely without being in a defensive crouch" and expressed his ambitions to launch a podcast.

11 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

These people censoring thought. ideas, and dissent are truly going to drive this country to the brink.

you've been placed on a watch list.

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

Andrew Sullivan is theoretically a conservative in the traditional sense, though he hates Trump. As a out gay man, his voice on big social issues found an audience on both the right and the left. However, his common sense views of the world, public discourse, reasoned debate and the innate freedom to express one's ideas were too much for the wokescolds who cannot be told they are tyrants.

Sullivan should have been "on their side" but they drove him out because his words "physically" injured the delicate snowflakes. 

Andrew Sullivan on his ousting from New York Magazine: Staff believed my columns were 'physically harming' them

'A critical mass of the staff and management at New York Magazine and Vox Media no longer want to associate with me,' the columnist wrote

21 hours ago

Andrew Sullivan penned his last op-ed in New York Magazine on Friday after previously announcing that he would no longer be a columnist for the outlet.

Sullivan began the column by stressing that the magazine "has every right to hire and fire anyone it wants when it comes to the content of what it wants to publish," but also indicated "the quality of my work does not appear to be the problem."

"What has happened, I think, is relatively simple: A critical mass of the staff and management at New York Magazine and Vox Media no longer want to associate with me, and in a time of ever tightening budgets, I’m a luxury item they don’t want to afford. And that’s entirely their prerogative," Sullivan explained. "They seem to believe, and this is increasingly the orthodoxy in mainstream media, that any writer not actively committed to critical theory in questions of race, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity is actively, physically harming co-workers merely by existing in the same virtual space. Actually attacking, and even mocking, critical theory’s ideas and methods, as I have done continually in this space, is therefore out of sync with the values of Vox Media. That, to the best of my understanding, is why I’m out of here."

The columnist reiterated thoughts he made years ago about how "we all live on campus now," noting the increasingly limited exchange of ideas on college campuses has spilled into everyday life and pointed to a survey that showed only 1.46 percent of the faculty at Harvard University identify as "conservative."

"But that’s probably higher than the proportion of journalists who call themselves conservative at the New York Times or CNN or New York Magazine," Sullivan wrote. "And maybe it’s worth pointing out that 'conservative” in my case means that I have passionately opposed Donald J. Trump and pioneered marriage equality, that I support legalized drugs, criminal-justice reform, more redistribution of wealth, aggressive action against climate change, police reform, a realist foreign policy, and laws to protect transgender people from discrimination. I was one of the first journalists in established media to come out. I was a major and early supporter of Barack Obama. I intend to vote for Biden in November."

"It seems to me that if this conservatism is so foul that many of my peers are embarrassed to be working at the same magazine, then I have no idea what version of conservatism could ever be tolerated. And that’s fine. We have freedom of association in this country, and if the mainstream media want to cut ties with even moderate anti-Trump conservatives, because they won’t bend the knee to critical theory’s version of reality, that’s their prerogative. It may even win them more readers, at least temporarily," he continued.

Sullivan then took the opportunity to announce that he was reviving his old blog the Dish,  which he says he will now be able to write "freely without being in a defensive crouch" and expressed his ambitions to launch a podcast.

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

Disappointing on both counts.

This is how its done conservatives.  This is what liberalism always becomes.

Want to see a little flicker of light in the dark?  See my new topic.