Fishy4335

Spooling a VS?!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am going to start spooling my own reels. I am going to use a drill and I know the drill bit size with the screw but most importantly is what do you guys use to secure the school without damaging it? For example I noticed that when I bring my Reelin for spooling they put it on an electric machine which is like $1,000 and they secure the real tight with these rubber pieces? Does anybody know where I can get those rubber pieces or what to use in replacement of those to secure the school on the shaft of the drill bit? Thanks

I tried to help you. I even posted pictures in your other thread, you’re very welcome btw. Nut and bolt. I cut a few pieces of rubber from old knee pads when I did flooring.

8 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

I am going to start spooling my own reels. I am going to use a drill and I know the drill bit size with the screw but most importantly is what do you guys use to secure the school without damaging it? For example I noticed that when I bring my Reelin for spooling they put it on an electric machine which is like $1,000 and they secure the real tight with these rubber pieces? Does anybody know where I can get those rubber pieces or what to use in replacement of those to secure the school on the shaft of the drill bit? Thanks

Fishy l made this as soon as l got my first VS100 in 1997 the tool is easy to make the screw size is 10/32 for VS100/150 you could buy a long Allen head screw which is what l did out the head off, get a piece of 3/8 alum. rod stock drill and drive in the none threaded end of the screw you can cross pin is first or after l would do it first if you mess it up just make another screw this way you don't have to bang it out of the 3/8 rod.

Use the drag knob from the reel nothing gets messed up this way.

Also, remember if it's not an X reel keep a hump in the middle of the spool as you reel the line on it will even out after a couple of casts.

DSC04570.JPG.32b92ae04c1b2407d443df5e27457ec0.JPG

DSC04571.JPG.fbf33a3d9550b632b7fa806480689ac5.JPG

Even more of a hump than this, l redid it over.

DSC04495.JPG.ee0a03bda02b9b8cb9453b0130f91dfb.JPG

13 hours ago, LB said:

Fishy l made this as soon as l got my first VS100 in 1997 the tool is easy to make the screw size is 10/32 for VS100/150 you could buy a long Allen head screw which is what l did out the head off, get a piece of 3/8 alum. rod stock drill and drive in the none threaded end of the screw you can cross pin is first or after l would do it first if you mess it up just make another screw this way you don't have to bang it out of the 3/8 rod.

Use the drag knob from the reel nothing gets messed up this way.

Also, remember if it's not an X reel keep a hump in the middle of the spool as you reel the line on it will even out after a couple of casts.

DSC04570.JPG.32b92ae04c1b2407d443df5e27457ec0.JPG

DSC04571.JPG.fbf33a3d9550b632b7fa806480689ac5.JPG

Even more of a hump than this, l redid it over.

DSC04495.JPG.ee0a03bda02b9b8cb9453b0130f91dfb.JPG

Oooh, want one of these. 

2 hours ago, rreelman said:

I think you have too much line on your reel--rreelman

Nope that will flatten out, and it did almost as good as VSX if l didn't put the hump in from where the main line was attached to the backing l would have problems it would be like an hourglass. 

This is how it looks after plugging a while stays pretty flat, that handle is from a Penn 704 just wanted to see how it felt with a longer handle it was OK but went back to the OEM handle, the 704 handle will not just fit it has the same tread but the skirt has to be shortened match the OEM skirt on the handle.

The rod below was made from a blank that l got from VS in 1997 still using it, it started out as a 9ft  blank l cut 6" off the bottom l could never find out who made the blanks for him all tags were removed before he handed you the blank.

DSC04499.JPG