Bonita

Rate this topic

CDUX

Been hearing rumors to this effect.  How far "South"?? 

Also hearing bluefish rumors too.  Never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm getting bored with catching bass.  Some diversity would be nice!!

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

8 miles north of Portsmouth.  And we’ve had occasional hard runs with clean cut leaders but not consistent enough to switch over to steel. Ever get a day off in schedule might dust off the jaw breakers and try towing them around the near coast ledges

Edited by CDUX

Bonito to be precise. :)  Although the fish itself es muy bonita!

Of course, in Florida they call albies bonita and bonito even though they aren't.  Nice little tuna works!  Even though albies aren't really tuna, but I digress...

Were they swarming on the surface at all?

Edited by mumichog

No, it was a blind hit while striper fishing tight to the rocks. Screaming the drag and saw a glimpse of the size from the bridge, still assuming it was striper so figured I had some drag washers giving out. Then he swung by the boat “holy shite, grab the net, get that soma bitch in the boat!!!”

Like to head back up there and troll some tin around today, but waiting on ground fish trip to show....

Edited by CDUX

On 7/18/2020 at 0:40 PM, CDUX said:

8 miles north of Portsmouth.  And we’ve had occasional hard runs with clean cut leaders but not consistent enough to switch over to steel. Ever get a day off in schedule might dust off the jaw breakers and try towing them around the near coast ledges

Jaw breakers!  I have 4-5 of those and haven't used them in years.   I might try some trolling too.  I don't think you can get those lures any more?

3 hours ago, Topside2 said:

Jaw breakers!  I have 4-5 of those and haven't used them in years.   I might try some trolling too.  I don't think you can get those lures any more?

I think I have 3 or 4 in the box.  They were deadly on Blues, and they held up good against Bluefish teeth when my other plugs were getting chewed to bits.  I actually caught some Stripers on them too.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:13 AM, CDUX said:

Well you don’t see that everyday, at least this side of the cape. 22” Bonita on a 6” Mack within casting distance of shore.611FF6ED-7488-44F6-9AE7-04BE395E0D7C.jpeg.b69a0a2b64c8ea8b8dc789ef13e7033f.jpeg

That's awesome - I'm still wondering whether that big bloom of tiny bonito from 2 years ago is changing the game. Last year and this year, there were June bonito in RI and off the vineyard (I actually had a shot at them the last weekend in June at an RI shore location, but didn't connect - did get one on july 10)...and a few weeks back, I was speaking to someone up in Gloucester who said they had a little run of them last summer as well...And last year, I caught a ton of 1-2 lb bonito, which I'm guessing is where those tiny bonito of 2 years ago might be a year later

7 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Bonito can be glutens of the sea. 

You aren't kidding. I'm in CT, not Maine, but there was one trip to the beach last year where bonito showed up early in the morning and all the guys throwing tins were having no luck. I switched to a hydro minnow in a mackerel pattern and got a couple nice bones when they eventually came within casting distance. Now I make sure to carry a few larger plugs in case they are after bigger bait

1DFAA3ED-28D2-4D53-9F49-38AEAF5BA565.png