GSB

Bad Crash MTK

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So we left this morning at 6am on the Montauk Star,,,, so the fog was intense very heavy no visiblity. There was a mayday over the radio. A charter boat I believe hit a troller at 30knots . The boat sank . We where circling around the area looking for survivors. Than we got the call all survivors were picked up. Man what a way to start the day. Very Erie felling . Stay safe. Time to go catch some fluke . Tight lines

Edited by GSB

21 mins ago, GSB said:

There was a mayday over the radio. A charter boat I believe hit a troller at 30knots

No visibility and your doing 30 knots? good to hear no one was lost.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/18/2020 at 7:26 AM, GSB said:

So we left this morning at 6am on the Montauk Star,,,, so the fog was intense very heavy no visiblity. There was a mayday over the radio. A charter boat I believe hit a troller at 30knots . The boat sank . We where circling around the area looking for survivors. Than we got the call all survivors were picked up. Man what a way to start the day. Very Erie felling . Stay safe. Time to go catch some fluke . Tight lines

A dragger or someone trolling? 

Edited by pakalolo

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

A dragger or someone trolling? 

Big sportfisherman running too fast in the fog hit a trawler.  Sportfisherman has a dented hull, trawler went down.  As far as I know, no one was killed, and I don't think that the injuries were serious.

I'll give pretty good odds that an autopilot was involved. 

30Kt in that fog was just blatant disregard for the safety of other boaters, your passangers/guests and yourself . 

That captain should be held accountable.

The lack of common sense just infuriates me.  

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

Big sportfisherman running too fast in the fog hit a trawler.  Sportfisherman has a dented hull, trawler went down.  As far as I know, no one was killed, and I don't think that the injuries were serious.

I'll give pretty good odds that an autopilot was involved. 

It looked like more than a dent to me when I went by. That dent will not buff out lol.  The Cabo was tied up to a Sea Tow boat if front of the CG station around 3pm when I went by.  Seemed like it was almost on display. 

What I heard, Cabo was on plane, radar set on 12 miles. Smashed the wooden commercial boat broadside and it sank in a less than a minute. Nobody hurt. The commercial boat is owned by the owner of the charter boat Joy Sea whose name I can’t remember at the moment.

could have been a lot worse. Pea soup fog (still is), running on plane on a Saturday in July, didn’t know how to use his electronics. No excuse. 

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

It looked like more than a dent to me when I went by. That dent will not buff out lol.  The Cabo was tied up to a Sea Tow boat if front of the CG station around 3pm when I went by.  Seemed like it was almost on display. 
"

What I heard, Cabo was on plane, radar set on 12 miles. Smashed the wooden commercial boat broadside and it sank in a less than a minute. Nobody hurt. The commercial boat is owned by the owner of the charter boat Joy Sea whose name I can’t remember at the moment.

could have been a lot worse. Pea soup fog (still is), running on plane on a Saturday in July, didn’t know how to use his electronics. No excuse. 

"Dent" was somewhat sarcastic.  It's significant damage, but far less than what the trawler suffered.

Running with your radar set at 12 miles might be fine in the open ocean, but in a crowded waterway, 2 is more appropriate.  I was running in that crap yesterday and was shifting between 2 and, when I came close to a wreck or other known fishing grounds, 0.5 so I could spot small boats better.  And I certainly wasn't doing 30 kt.

Although I'd still bet an autopilot was involved.  One of the most dangerous devices in a private boat, that tempts operators to pay less than full attention to what's going on, and instead BS on the bridge with someone else.

22 mins ago, LB said:

ls, there any alarms that go off if something is in your line of path? think l got that right.

There is if you put your radar "alarm" function on, but that's not just on your route of travel, but all around.  At 12 miles, the boat's alarm would be constantly triggered due to the boats in the surrounding sea.  I sometimes use it when I'm shark fishing, to prevent a container ship from sneaking up on me when I'm not paying attention.  But another recreational boat can still set it off.  And even with the function on, I remind everyone on board to remember to keep checking the radar screen.  I don't trust anything electronic or mechanical to be foolproof.

Was out sharking yesterday, tracking a something big and slow in the fog. First started watching at 6 miles.  It was coming closer, but I couldn't plot a course, because we had a no-wind no-current drift just then, and the boat's bow was swinging through about 120 degrees.  Mako took one of the baits, and I left it to everyone else to worry about, while I traced the blip.  It was finally clear that the ship, or more likely big tug and a very large barge--it seemed like a two-piece image--was going to pass a half-mile away, and I could relax.  But a little later, the wake rolled out of the fog, and whatever made it was certainly displacing a lot of water.

But in the fog, you never relas your vigilance.

8 mins ago, srm413 said:

the joy sea is supposedly a 42' Bruno&Stillman?  if so, it wasn't doing 30kts, but nonetheless wot in fog seems insane.

It wasn’t the Joy Sea involved in the accident.  I believe he said the commercial boat that sank was owned by the owner of the Joy Sea. His name is Chuck Mallinson.