Eel weight??

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, rst3 said:

Once they are fully grown, eels are snakes. These are big heavy fish. 

20200719_230554.jpg.79e5a0fd96a1a549021cefbe9d37bf92.jpg

The biggest I've ever seen were some jumbo adults in the Merrimack in Haverhill. On lunch break a couple of us were eating those Market Basket rotisserie chickens, and we tossed the carcasses off a wall into the river. In minutes the chickens were covered in huge eels. We watched these things go off on the carcasses for awhile. Eye opening, to be sure.

:drool: Fillet that baby up.... :drool:

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

:drool: Fillet that baby up.... :drool:

Y'know... I do enjoy Unagi sushi. Tasty stuff.

That said, Ive got this mental hurdle with American Eel. They're like alien a$*holes

Screenshot_20200720-085545_Chrome.jpg.433c1f541e4bba8b7529218918eea110.jpg

People do seem to enjoy them though. My Aunt from the Netherlands can't get enough.

The taste of an American eel is best described as rich, bold, and delicious. Regarded as a delicacy, especially in Asian cuisine, these creatures can be grilled, fried, and smoked, as well as cooked into sushi, soups, and various other dishes.

Eel-8lb14oz-e1568095176660.jpg.14c429eebd648ba0c51c400b5c0ac3fe.jpg

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

I wondered this same question about 3 years ago.  The average size eel from the tackle shop came out to 1.7 ounces for me over a 48 eel sample size.  I thought they'd be heavier.  3 pounds is laughable.  

The biggest was 4.7 oz's and that was a gigantic snake!  

Edited by TLap21

When I used to buy eels by weight I specified five to a pound = 3+ ounces. That was after starving for a few days by the wholesaler and of course the weight was approximate but that was the targeted weight.