Al DAddario

Eel weight??

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

At the spot I fish no weight needed.

Just a 5/0 inline circle hook snelled to a 30# test 28” leader. 

Eel swims to the sandy bottom..nowhere to hide. Poor eel!!

I’m looking for a blank no more than 7 1/2’. 

Maybe I’ll try the rod building forum.

1 hour ago, Al DAddario said:

At the spot I fish no weight needed.

Just a 5/0 inline circle hook snelled to a 30# test 28” leader. 

Eel swims to the sandy bottom..nowhere to hide. Poor eel!!

I’m looking for a blank no more than 7 1/2’. 

Maybe I’ll try the rod building forum.

Sounds like you’re trying to build a boat rod for the surf.

To answer the original question, I found this. The weight is directly proportional to length, so you can do some math and come to a foot long eel being about 3 pounds.

The Average Weight of an American Eel

Average American Eel Mass:

Adult Male: 10-16 pounds (lower end of the scale)
Adult Female: 10-16 pounds (higher end of the scale)

With an approximate length of 5 feet, female American Eels weigh in closer to the maximum of 16 pounds. The male eels, on the other hand, only extend about 3 feet long at the end of their development, which is significantly less than their female counterparts.

Male American Eels will typically fall on the lower end of the spectrum around the 10-pound mark.

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

To answer the original question, I found this. The weight is directly proportional to length, so you can do some math and come to a foot long eel being about 3 pounds.

The Average Weight of an American Eel

Average American Eel Mass:

Adult Male: 10-16 pounds (lower end of the scale)
Adult Female: 10-16 pounds (higher end of the scale)

With an approximate length of 5 feet, female American Eels weigh in closer to the maximum of 16 pounds. The male eels, on the other hand, only extend about 3 feet long at the end of their development, which is significantly less than their female counterparts.

Male American Eels will typically fall on the lower end of the spectrum around the 10-pound mark.

NFW a foot long eel weighs 3 pounds. The weight is not directly proportional to legnth, you also have to take girth into account. And adult eel has a girth over 3 inches a foot long eel fly has a girth on about 3/4 of an inch. Big difference! 

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

The weight is directly proportional to length, so you can do some math and come to a foot long eel being about 3 pounds.

ezgif-4-26f27d0f4a57.gif.a072c16dbca0724f29ea997e4fcf28f9.gif

A 12" shoestring eel does not weigh 3 lbs. That's 48 ounces. If that were the case, guys with eel rods would be snapping them first cast. Imagine tying three (16oz) Norwegian cod jigs onto a leader then hucking it into a boulderfield with a 2-5 Lami

Chipping-the-Graphite.jpg.64de3bc531f0488ed081172a55d99b08.jpg

Best I can find is this:

278mm = 11inches --> 34grams -> 1.2ounces 

301mm = 12inches --> 42grams -> 1.5ounces

368mm = 14.5inches --> 86grams -> 3ounces

Screenshot_20200719-104850_Drive.jpg.daf00cce8270195dafd19702436e3af7.jpg

So I was thinking Steve meant to say ounces not pounds however according to the interwebs they can indeed get that big which I was shocked to find. "Common length of the American eel is 50 cm (19.7 inches) with the maximum recorded length being 152 cm (59.8 inches). The maximum published weight for an American eel is 7.3 kg (16.6 lbs.)" and that's directly from the US fish and wildlife website. Im thinking the eels that we see in most of the B&T shops are more in the 2-4 ounce range. 

19 mins ago, captahab416 said:

"Common length of the American eel is 50 cm (19.7 inches) with the maximum recorded length being 152 cm (59.8 inches). The maximum published weight for an American eel is 7.3 kg (16.6 lbs.)" and that's directly from the US fish and wildlife website. Im thinking the eels that we see in most of the B&T shops are more in the 2-4 ounce range. 

Once they are fully grown, eels are snakes. These are big heavy fish. 

20200719_230554.jpg.79e5a0fd96a1a549021cefbe9d37bf92.jpg

The biggest I've ever seen were some jumbo adults in the Merrimack in Haverhill. On lunch break a couple of us were eating those Market Basket rotisserie chickens, and we tossed the carcasses off a wall into the river. In minutes the chickens were covered in huge eels. We watched these things go off on the carcasses for awhile. Eye opening, to be sure.

20 hours ago, MakoMike said:

NFW a foot long eel weighs 3 pounds. The weight is not directly proportional to legnth, you also have to take girth into account. And adult eel has a girth over 3 inches a foot long eel fly has a girth on about 3/4 of an inch. Big difference! 

Just going by what they said in the source, they did in fact say that it is directly proportional, although the thought of girth did cross my mind........