osprey47

Chub Mack

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Had the same issue last year,  I throw my typical setup for Albies/Bones    small epoxy  pink or green or brown    NOPE  tins like deadly dick, kastmaster , crippled herring and point judes  NOPE   albiesnax , minnows, even albiesnax I cut in half and put on a jig head  NOPE     can never seem to get chubs interested in what I'm tossing, I know they are locked onto small bait but what do you guys use for them ?  Fly fisherman seem to have a leg up on that.   These lures all work for Bones and albies but for some reason not the chubs

There’s been frigate macs out front tight to shore. Super picky. Tiny flies through them without a bump. Sabiki rig. Nada. I landed one an a large epoxy jig that I’ve rehabbed with over coating with more epoxy. Buddy got one on a small crippled herring. Seems to be a 1/100 hook up ratio with those guys.

7 mins ago, BNickW said:

There’s been frigate macs out front tight to shore. Super picky. Tiny flies through them without a bump. Sabiki rig. Nada. I landed one an a large epoxy jig that I’ve rehabbed with over coating with more epoxy. Buddy got one on a small crippled herring. Seems to be a 1/100 hook up ratio with those guys.

Crazy to even think a mackerel could be selective.  Hard to compute for me.  

2 hours ago, BNickW said:

I seriously doubt they were frigate macks. The only place I have ever seen them locally was out in Block Canyon.

ZBESkhW4RQWJEDgS2saBHA.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I seriously doubt they were frigate macks. The only place I have ever seen them locally was out in Block Canyon.

ZBESkhW4RQWJEDgS2saBHA.jpg

Could be bullet but I think they are frigate. Fish have the tendency to swim and move around. Pop up where you least expect them.

ABC4A907-D5B0-4D3B-ADFD-F6E546327AAC.jpeg

343DBBE4-BEFD-4D34-A2E2-7AC072512A73.jpeg

Edited by BNickW

7 hours ago, Kooky said:

Big metal lip in mackerel pattern?

Hmmmm. Huge grey metal lip or grey and silver 3oz. darter. How bout a giant needle flashtaped? Can't match the speed of a mack but maybe one that's been wounded by a toothie.

On 7/22/2020 at 10:09 AM, BNickW said:

I caught two the day I posted the pic a few posts up...I will tell you that I did not get a single bump while trying to throw into the fray...both of mine were caught sort of on the blind (the one on the fly was completely on the blind. The other was caught on a small epoxy jig as I continued to throw in an area I had just seen them a moment earlier) I also lost two others and it was same story...so 4 hook ups on the blind, zero when I was trying to throw into breaking fish...

So with that said, I think it's more so a matter of being nearly impossible to lead them...if your offering is already in their path, you have a much better chance

On the fly and from shore! I’m impressed. We’ve only hooked into three on the boat. And all spin. Two bullets and one chub. Roughly the same size, the chub was a little more of a fight. I’ve had all kinds of lures through them and many opportunities.