C. Regalis

First Ever FW Post!

8 posts in this topic

Twenty plus years on SOL and I've never visited this forum. :howdy:

Its also more than 45 years since I fished in fresh water. Here's the abbreviated story. Retired and moved to Cape Cod a year ago. This spring when I couldn't wait any longer I got out to a local kettle pond and scratched out a couple of brown trout. Striper fishing has slowed (its July) and blues are scarce. However there are a suprisingly large number of of freshwater ponds for a change of pace, some quite sizeable and they hold bass, pickerel, panfish, and the usual suspects.

So- first post. I've got (reasonably suitable rods and reels for starters (OK maybe a little large) and 8 and 10 pound mono. I've also accumulated some basic soft plastics, trailers, jigs and small poppers.  What I need to figure out now is a reasonable tackle storage system I can carry it in. (Small no-name bag is already too small.).

When you are fishing the bank, wading or in a small kayak- how do you carry your gear?

In a fanny pack.I don't carry a lot and count on a few old reliables and fishing them w/ confidence.

I see so many guys these days carrying a tackle shops worth of gear in backpacks/slings and other various encumbering tackle carrying devices.Carrying a ton of gear doesn't make up for a lack of skill.

Hey Ted How are ya? :rav: To be fair I do have a fanny pack I could convert to hold bass tackle. I hate to have a separate bag for trout - but I don't trout fish all that much.

For bank fishing I use the Orvis Safe Passage Guide sling pack. 

If the guide model is too big for your tastes look at the regular size Safe Passage Sling Back. 

plenty of storage for a few Plano boxes, leader, lunch and a light weight rain  jacket. 

It’s a very well,thought out bag IMO. 

Backpack stuffed with a few plano boxes and soft plastics.

If i am keyed in on say river smallies even a vest workes with a bag of tubes some leader hooks and bullets weights.

I could fish any pond with maybe 4 hard baits and 4 different bags of soft plastics but i always carry too much lol

I use the plastic plano tackle cases. These are nice as I have my tackle and lures preorganized for the kind of fishing I will be doing.

Am I chasing channels on a kayak at a lake?

No problem I have a medium plano box with the hooks and terminal tackle needed to not only rig up and catch channels, but also catch bait.

Am I chasing flatheads and channels in big water? I have a large plano box with a range of hooks to pursue both species with a wide range of baits. Also included is the nessesary terminal tackle for rigging up for both catfish species and for catching a wide range of bait.

Same goes for targeting big walleye in the rivers. I have a lead head jighead box and a hard lure box.

I just grab the box or boxes I need and go.

I carry everything I need for the trip in a durable rut sack type back pack.

The tackle bags I have used over the years just don't hold up.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:14 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Backpack stuffed with a few plano boxes and soft plastics.

If i am keyed in on say river smallies even a vest workes with a bag of tubes some leader hooks and bullets weights.

I could fish any pond with maybe 4 hard baits and 4 different bags of soft plastics but i always carry too much lol

When chasing flatheads my bag can push 50lbs. Literally everything I need is in or strapped onto the back pack including rebar rod spikes.