GoodWood69

Older tins

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

image.jpeg.c345f096c57aecf4b646f510a60097a7.jpegimage.jpeg.c345f096c57aecf4b646f510a60097a7.jpegimage.jpeg.69263b4ba31260b8f47fd11c6eb663f0.jpegHey guys ,

have some questions.. 

anyone know these ? 

Bought them back in the day.. Awesome story behind the whole gig how it worked out .. Lol 

Thanks, 

Tommy 

Edited by GoodWood69

2 hours ago, GoodWood69 said:

Hey guys ,

have some questions.. 

anyone know these ? 

Bought them back in the day.. Awesome story behind the whole gig how it worked out .. Lol 

Thanks, 

Tommy 

Gonna need to see some pictures to help :)

TimS

2 hours ago, GoodWood69 said:

image.jpeg.c345f096c57aecf4b646f510a60097a7.jpegimage.jpeg.c345f096c57aecf4b646f510a60097a7.jpegimage.jpeg.69263b4ba31260b8f47fd11c6eb663f0.jpegHey guys ,

have some questions.. 

anyone know these ? 

Thanks, 

Tommy 

Those were never available for purchase as far as I'm aware. The "MC" squid - the mold belonged to Bill McFadden - he either made it or had it made from an eel squid that he prototyped. They were generally poured with 60% tin/40% lead - this made them substantially heavier as well as harder to bend to make them swim. Unlike most squids, they didn't require much of a bend, just a little bit up right after the hook eye and then a little back down right behind the grommet. Yours are still straight, right outta the mold :)

They fell into the category some guys used to call 'boardwalk squids' - because they were thick and poured with some lead so it was easier to bend them by sticking them between two boards in the boardwalk to bend them. Most pure tin squids you just bent with your hands.

Those MC squids could really get a properly rigged eel thumping...you could feel them thumping in a big heave way back when monofilament was king :) Bill McFadden, may he rest in peace, loved his rigged eel fishing...he loved to fish them in big pre-storm swells when the long period swells created all kinds of crazy currents on and along the jetties. Thirty...maybe thirty five years ago when we were all hanging out at the 7-11 in Belmar back in the day between tide changes at night, listening to large waves crashing on the jetties and sand, I used to ask him "Is it time?"....and he'd always say "Almost...they need to get a little bigger" :laugh:   Miss that guy...I miss all those guys...and all those nights...back then they seemed like they would never end.  Sorry, got a little off topic...but, yes, I'm familiar with that squid, he let me borrow his mold for a week one time and I poured hundreds...I still have a bunch :)

TimS

30 mins ago, TimS said:

Those were never available for purchase as far as I'm aware. The "MC" squid - the mold belonged to Bill McFadden - he either made it or had it made from an eel squid that he prototyped. They were generally poured with 60% tin/40% lead - this made them substantially heavier as well as harder to bend to make them swim. Unlike most squids, they didn't require much of a bend, just a little bit up right after the hook eye and then a little back down right behind the grommet. Yours are still straight, right outta the mold :)

They fell into the category some guys used to call 'boardwalk squids' - because they were thick and poured with some lead so it was easier to bend them by sticking them between two boards in the boardwalk to bend them. Most pure tin squids you just bent with your hands.

Those MC squids could really get a properly rigged eel thumping...you could feel them thumping in a big heave way back when monofilament was king :) Bill McFadden, may he rest in peace, loved his rigged eel fishing...he loved to fish them in big pre-storm swells when the long period swells created all kinds of crazy currents on and along the jetties. Thirty...maybe thirty five years ago when we were all hanging out at the 7-11 in Belmar back in the day between tide changes at night, listening to large waves crashing on the jetties and sand, I used to ask him "Is it time?"....and he'd always say "Almost...they need to get a little bigger" :laugh:   Miss that guy...I miss all those guys...and all those nights...back then they seemed like they would never end.  Sorry, got a little off topic...but, yes, I'm familiar with that squid, he let me borrow his mold for a week one time and I poured hundreds...I still have a bunch :)

TimS

Hi Tim I know you spoke of these before when your gave a great tutorial on pouring tin and lead molds. A few questions on them, do they improve casting of the eel and do you have any pics with a eel rigged on them. Thanks and sorry for kinda hi jacking this thread.   

59 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

5f11d3bcc8723_Screenshot2020-07-17at12_36_58PM.png.213246b60dadb84985392c79e446c2c6.png

That one is a copy of the old J&J "J-35" eel squid - the J-35 was my absolute favorite all time eel squid :love: It was perfect for NJ jetties and pencil thin 10-12" long eels. The copy in the picture has a slightly thinner face, the J-35 had a thicker edge (viewed from the side like that) - it was maybe a heavy quarter to three eighths of an ounce heavier than what looks like the Ultimus copy in your picture :) The Ultimus "deep" squid was pretty good, SOL sold thousands of them over the years alone or rigged on 10 1/2" Ultimus rubber eels. 

Ahh...the days of spending an hour every few days rigging a half dozen slimy dead eels to replace the banged up, chewed apart and destroyed eels in the rolled up, frozen piece of t-shirt or dishrag they waited in to go fishing that night. It may have been on my first married Christmas that I got my own 'bait' freezer from my lovely wife :laugh:  I don't wanna guess how many eels cycled through that thing in the 15 years before the freezer was destroyed by Sandy :blackeye:

TimS

1 hour ago, Mark L said:

Hi Tim I know you spoke of these before when your gave a great tutorial on pouring tin and lead molds. A few questions on them, do they improve casting of the eel and do you have any pics with a eel rigged on them. Thanks and sorry for kinda hi jacking this thread.   

They help casting the eel...but not as much as an egg sinker sewn into it's mouth :) Here's a picture of an eel rigged on a different squid...looks like the Ultimus deep squid...sorry, it's an old picture. I rigged all my eels the same way, so squint and pretend that's an MC squid in front ;)

finished_rigged_eel.jpg

2 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Tim,

I had a few Mc also. I also had some labeled TS. I thought they were Tony Spina but he told me no they were Ted Stanik. What do you think?

I'm 99% sure Teddy's squid just had a big "S" on it like Superman...his was another one that I loved so much I made a mold for it...it was wide yet had a little 'waist' and pretty light. Killer with really tiny eels and calmer jetty fronts. I'll have to look through my box of squids next time I'm in the garage and see if I can find anything with "TS" on it :)