fishless

Expoxy question

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I'm sure this question has been asked several hundred times yet nothing is coming up when I search the forum so bare with me.

I have a specific color need for mambo minnows due to the color being eliminated from their lineup.  Im picking up mambos cheap at the off season flea markets and sanding em down.  I attempted my 1st rattle can repaint yesterday and due to condo living and not have a garage to work in I need a user friendly epoxy that I can brush on.  I'm fine with thin layers and and applying multiple coats if necessary.  Is there a user friendly epoxy I can grab at say Harbor Freight or one of the big home stores?  Thanks.

Devcon, 2 ton, 30 minute epoxy. Our local ace hardware has it. A light coat is all you will need. Make sure you get the 30 minute not the 5 minute stuff. Mix it up, apply with an acid brush. Hang to dry. Can flip it once or twice while it sets up if you like.

12 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

No holding out.  Let's see those Mambos!!

Im fairly embarrassed to show just yet.  Think I'll re-sand and try with the Devcom.  I used a 5 min in this 1st attempt, it was thick and I was rushing to try and apply.  I do believe the plug will catch but it's not aesthetically pleasing by any means.

Ahh what the hell.  Lets be transparent among friends.  I wanted a midflight blue and more importantly I needed the blue glitter.  For whatever reason the water i fish this plug in on a side by side comparison with other mambos of different colors this one out produced by far over the years.  My inventory is down to 2 and why im traying to recreate it. But here's my messy attempt.  The glitter pops just can't make it happen for a pic bit its there

20200717_123033.jpg

8 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Have you tried nail polish?  Available in 1,000s of colors, inc metallics, w/ and w/o glitter of any size you can imagine.

I use nail polish on my teaser heads but didn't think about that for plugs.  But now that we're on the topic.  Is hard as nails appropriate to protect the plug?  

I've used Hard as Nails 100s of times, on everything from wood to plastic to tins.  For wood, I use it only to coat exposed patches of wood.  Tried topcoating a whole plug with it a few years ago, but after a year or so it started showing cracks here and there, probably due to the large degree of expansion and contraction due to absorbing water then drying out.

No problems to date using it on plastics and tins.  Couple tips:

You can thin it (and almost all nail polishes) with acetone, but that dulls the gloss finish.  To thin polish I just warm it up a little.  You can use hot/warm tap water in a shallow tray, but I found that leaving them near the fan exhaust for my laptop works fine (total accident, but, hey, it works!).

Get some cheap artists brushes to apply it. (Most of the polish brushes are too narrow.)  Discount stores have them for $2 or $3 for a set of six or so.  I tried acid brushes, but they were too stiff.  I pour some polish into a bottle cap (currently PowerAde 1.5" caps), because some brushes don't fit into the neck of the polish bottles, and I can better control how much polish goes onto the brush.

I also use those caps for mixing up different blends of colors.  

6 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

HaN self-levels very well and it sets up v quickly.  I'll take and post some pics in a minute.

Awesome thank you.

Top tin was coated with clear HaN, using the brush in the cap, so you can see the brush marks.  The other three were coated with 1/2" brush, warmed HaN, then hung vertically.  I painted the Cripple Minnow with a base of silver polish, then applied turquoise on the back, red gill stripes, black mack markings & eye dark-light, then glitter.

Tins2.JPG.1dcee8a6e1179407f523fad9df55226c.JPG

For the flip side (it's a very dark red metal flake over charcoal on most of the body and over silver on the edges) I used the 1/2" brush, warmed, and hung it vertically:

5f1210d3dd27f_Tins1.JPG.47c233dac32a9df268311334a2259e30.JPG

Here are just a few of the colors and glitters available (shown over flat white paint):

5f12136e128c3_Palette2.JPG.a1f189150e163ca7f5cdad396f53a7fc.JPG

Since the white glitters and some of the color-shift colors don't show up well on the matte white, I put some over flat grey metal:

5f121371de9d8_Palette1.JPG.69446c5033a107ac58a964748e532a80.JPG

I also use clear HaN as a carrier for day-glow colors, hence the green bottle.

Other than two bottles of clear HaN, the rest of these were free.

5f121460e7b47_Polish1.JPG.02016669a1e04835a5b4925b244c3b7b.JPG

Middle box has blues and greens in it.  I need to clean out some more yellow tubs to make room for those colors!

5f12145bdadf1_Polish2.JPG.92ec04d6d23e724f0d254dc02f19c16c.JPG