MontclairDave

Lost a Big One: You Guess Why

27 posts in this topic

Lost another big fish yesterday, want your opinion on where the failure point was.

 

Standing on a small rocky island in the middle of the lake, fishing from an elevated rock platform. Casting a jig/trailer beyond a visible rock slab that slants down into the water, so my jig is falling right into a deep dropoff. One cast, bam, I am slammed by a fish. Reel up, a huge bass jumps out of water, tries to shake the jig off, dives back in, and a second later I lose him. Reel in line and fluoro leader looks like it’s got a clean cut—no evidence of failed  braid to leader knot, and no curly line that would suggest a failed knot to lure—just a clean cut.

 

I check my drag and I’d say it was a tad tight but not horribly so.

 

My guess is the fluoro line rubbed against that slanting rock slab and cut off. I know fluoro is abrasion resistant, but I assume there is a limit to that. Or, could fluoro line break cleanly just from too much pressure from a fish on too tight a drag? 

 

15 lb Daiwa fluoro to braid leader, tied the day before with Alberto knot. Knot to lure: San Diego jam knot.

 

Fish was easily 5 lb. 

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish dove down and cut you on the ledge. Could also be some debris, metal, wood at the ledged that aided in the clean cut.  Fish dont get big without getting "smart".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

Sounds like a rock to me. Been there too; big fish are smart and know what to do.

Here’s another thought: would straight braid (20 lb) been less or more likely to fail in that scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeK said:

Fish dove down and cut you on the ledge. Could also be some debris, metal, wood at the ledged that aided in the clean cut.  Fish dont get big without getting "smart".

^^^^^^^^^^

I'm on this side and was there any fray signs on the line at all to indicate this is the case, even slightly up the line?  I feel for you as those situations are rough so hang in there.  The San Diego jam knot has been my go to for many, many years and I have not had issues at all with it. Very consistent and I have landed big, big fish on light tackle with it without it failing.

 

Keep at it.....

 

Mike D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a giant bass when it jumped a number of years ago that I wonder about. It was like someone tossed a bowling ball in the water and then snap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braid when taunt with a moving fish will part almost instantly once it contacts a sharp edge.

 

I tried that experiment a long time ago when targeting catfish. Lost a lot of fish.

 

Flouro should not have done that unless it was already damaged. Personally, I prefer mono for leader material as it knots more reliably and has more give.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an important question...Did the line break occur where it would have been tied to the jig?

Some knot failures can snap off without warning and look like the line was cut, as the line failed right at the knot.

 

Otherwise, I'd go with some other underwater structure with a sharp enough edge to cut the line when run across its surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got some seagaur fx 18lb online that was old stock $15=2lb test and got some orvis 8lb tippet it broke like 1lb test,,,,,:o fluorocarbon has a shelf life the fresher the better and if you see dust on the package,,,,,,:laugh: walk away,,,,,,,,:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bennie, no doubt... I've also noticed some fluorocarbon does have a bit of shelf life... i.e. Seagar.... Especially if you happen to leave your gear in a hot car or something like that, this time of the year. That fluoro leader can go bad. 

 

To the OP, it sounds to me like you must have had a nick in that leader somewhere or perhaps the fish did cut you off on the ledge, but I think you'd probably see some evidence of that after the break. 15 lb fluoro shouldn't break on a 5lb bass. 

 

Pesonally, I've been using the Sunline Sniper Fluoro as leader and it has given me the best performance from a fluorocarbon I've tried thus far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

Lost another big fish yesterday, want your opinion on where the failure point was.

 

Standing on a small rocky island in the middle of the lake, fishing from an elevated rock platform. Casting a jig/trailer beyond a visible rock slab that slants down into the water, so my jig is falling right into a deep dropoff. One cast, bam, I am slammed by a fish. Reel up, a huge bass jumps out of water, tries to shake the jig off, dives back in, and a second later I lose him. Reel in line and fluoro leader looks like it’s got a clean cut—no evidence of failed  braid to leader knot, and no curly line that would suggest a failed knot to lure—just a clean cut.

 

I check my drag and I’d say it was a tad tight but not horribly so.

 

My guess is the fluoro line rubbed against that slanting rock slab and cut off. I know fluoro is abrasion resistant, but I assume there is a limit to that. Or, could fluoro line break cleanly just from too much pressure from a fish on too tight a drag? 

 

15 lb Daiwa fluoro to braid leader, tied the day before with Alberto knot. Knot to lure: San Diego jam knot.

 

Fish was easily 5 lb. 

 

Thoughts?

Alberto failed 

Fish stuck in weeds

Line broke

Spit hook

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too tight a drag can lose a big fish almost anytime.I've learned the hard way that sometimes you can't horse a big fish.  In my striper fishing if I'm around boulders with heavy gear and you know right away you have a big fish you may have to loosen the drag and hope you can get the fish to make a mistake and let you run it down in the boat.  If you are on land you have to have luck .

Take a piece of leader tie it to a immovable object, put a lot of pressure on the line and touch it with a knife.  It's gone in an instant.  Have the line with just modest pressure and it takes more to make the break.  Floro also does't have the stretch of mono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago, maybe 3.... i was into big largemouth for 2 weeks on a certain worm.

I have a short 5 footish baitcaster rod with an abu 5500 with 50 pound braid. 

I was horsing in 5 plus pound fish like sunfish,no lie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

A few years ago, maybe 3.... i was into big largemouth for 2 weeks on a certain worm.

I have a short 5 footish baitcaster rod with an abu 5500 with 50 pound braid. 

I was horsing in 5 plus pound fish like sunfish,no lie

Nothing moves fish like those 5 1/2 footers nothing !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.