bananaboat

Found a Cheap decent fish bag\ cooler

28 posts in this topic

Found this 50 dollar bag at Costco in Oceanside. Works well, knock off yeti or rtic. Kept fish cold and Gatorade icey. Big enough for a doormat. Seems decent construction. 

65413630-48A2-43B1-A436-A802B3D4F3EE.jpeg

B27EC3E1-719C-41BB-BCAC-02C862DA052E.jpeg

Is it that much better than their $10 ones? After a season they're nasty enough, and cheap enough, that I just replace them. Problem is they keep changing the design every year. I liked the top version a lot, but the next one was OK too.

post-15110-0-29818100-1495126855.pngpost-15110-0-80287600-1433985707.jpg

21 hours ago, bananaboat said:

Hah I’ve never seen those! I always throw a trash bag inside to put the fish in. Stays clean.

I tried that but the fish spines always put holes in it anyway.  Do you put the ice inside the liner or out? 

Ice in cooler bag, then trash bag liner for me. The spines can/do puncture the trash bag, but it's not a disaster.  I usually bleed the fish before putting them in. They aren't flapping around inside.

6 mins ago, Spazzoni said:

Ice in cooler bag, then trash bag liner for me. The spines can/do puncture the trash bag, but it's not a disaster.  I usually bleed the fish before putting them in. They aren't flapping around inside.

I find it particularly bad with porgies, them bastages are spiny! Obviously fluke are at the other extreme.  I've been trying to heed the guys that say never let your fish sit immersed in fresh water, but if you don't drain the cooler and lose all that cold water then you depend on that liner bag not being holed. Honestly I've found it hard to keep fish really cold without bringing at least 14lb of ice.

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

I find it particularly bad with porgies, them bastages are spiny! Obviously fluke are at the other extreme.  I've been trying to heed the guys that say never let your fish sit immersed in fresh water, but if you don't drain the cooler and lose all that cold water then you depend on that liner bag not being holed. Honestly I've found it hard to keep fish really cold without bringing at least 14lb of ice.

I put ice in a dry bag to keep water out of the cooler interior.

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

The few porgies I've caught have been tossed back. I've kept a lot of sheepshead, that way though. Never had a problem with heavy punctures.

Never had a problem with fresh water on salt water fish either. Not sure when that started but I heard it a year or so ago. I rinse my fish with fresh water as my grandfather taught me. Some good kosher salt mixed in might help ice last longer and provide salt water for the fish to lay in instead of fresh. Salt and Ice has made Ice cream for a long time.

Last weekend I caught a keeper flounder at 7:20AM and because of the tide dropping my launch was inaccessible until the early afternoon. I had a cheap tote cooler with me  with 5 frozen 1L water bottles that I kept the fish sandwiched between until I got off the water around 3PM. I noticed the parts of the fish not touching the water bottles were less cold and dried out some which had me worried about spoilage. It ended up being fine but I decided I need a better strategy for keeping fish for all day trips. Thinking about adding some ice cubes or salt water to keep the fish moist and keeping the frozen bottles to do most of the cooling. I also ordered this magellan fish bag from academy for 50 bucks after the tote cooler I was using ripped. It looks similar to more expensive options but is noticeably cheaper, I'll see how the build quality is when I get my hands on it. 25" length should be perfect for most anything I'd want to keep.fishbag.jpg.56953cd1a97fea8c3e7df3aa0776a689.jpg

You guys would like this reusable freezer ice bag I found on amazon it works great. It’s reusable and replaces 10 lbs of ice. They guy who created it used to transport blood and I’m telling you now this ice pack has stayed Ice cold for longer than 36 hours. 
  I put two in my cooler bag and there’s no residual water plus it’s way lighter. 

040A9EB4-15B7-4684-9E5E-14C86415AA42.png

25 mins ago, SneakyWeakie said:

Last weekend I caught a keeper flounder at 7:20AM and because of the tide dropping my launch was inaccessible until the early afternoon. I had a cheap tote cooler with me  with 5 frozen 1L water bottles that I kept the fish sandwiched between until I got off the water around 3PM. I noticed the parts of the fish not touching the water bottles were less cold and dried out some which had me worried about spoilage. It ended up being fine but I decided I need a better strategy for keeping fish for all day trips. 

I've found the same thing, especially if I fish isn't actually touching the ice, it's not that cold. It's worst with a big load of porgy, but there were times in previous season I'd take four 7 or 8#  blues for the smoker and it was tough keeping them all cold. But that IS a lot of meat. On hot days I sometimes double bag the coolers, take the smaller size that I posted above and put it inside the bigger one. Can't hurt.

But nothing cools a fish like actually buried in ice or immersed in ice water. I have my doubts about the "water immersion bad" thing, especially when people say it specifically for salt fish. Saltwater fish flesh is actually the exact same salinity as fresh. I remember learning in biology class that freshwater fish have to pee because water tends to soak into their bodies which is saltier than the water, and saltwater fish have to drink, since the opposite happens and water soaks out of their bodies because of the higher salt around them.

If you think about it, almost every fish brought to market in all of history until less than a century ago sat on deck from the moment it was caught till it was sold. Ever read Captains Courageous by Kipling about the Gloucester cod schooners? They'd send out dories in the morning for fish, and when they got back in the afternoon they'd salt down the catch. But the cod sat in the sun all day! Great scene where the teen protagonist catches a huge halibut on a handline.

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Thanks for the Summer reading tip!

Enjoy! Kipling's on the outs now because he had a bit of a racism problem, but he was a hellava storyteller. CC is about a spoiled rich kid who falls overboard a steamer in the North Atlantic and is picked up by a fishing schooner who laugh at his claims of wealth and put him to work. The rest of the book is a fantastic portrait of what fishing the Georges Banks was like 130 years ago.

Edited by gellfex