wasy

LBI Video

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone else see that blood bath video in the LBI surf?

some large mammal looked to get the short end of da stick

Edited by wasy

curious why you think a mammal met its demise in that video?  I would think a large ray cownose ore butterfly before i thought mammal. was there something in the video or comments in video that stated a mammal?

I found the video after my original post but the video is titled sick porpoise.

u think there would be that much blood in water with a large ray?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw the video posted by Fish Heads yesterday the full version. If it’s a dolphin I would think it was either sick and or dying already. Although where was the rest of its pod? Dolphins are actually the ones known to kill sharks. If the pod is threatened they gang up on the sharks. 

Anyone interested in just how smart dolphins are at killing sharks look the wonders Of YouTube. 

Edited by MattieG

3 hours ago, wasy said:

I found the video after my original post but the video is titled sick porpoise.

u think there would be that much blood in water with a large ray?

i'm not sure, i know that it doesn't take much blood int he water to get it looking like what you can see in the video. The video title implies that the videographer witnessed a porpoise prior to hitting the record button because i don't think you can make that leap just from the video alone. $.02

It was a dolphin/porpoise. Apparently had either been hit by a boat or injured some other way. Marine Mammal Stranding Center was called but the sharks found it first. Nature is certainly impressive.

I fish down in that area pretty regularly in june/early july and it is unbelievable how many sharks are in that area. I know the majority are brownies and sand tigers which allegedly are more fish eaters. But I am shocked we dont hear of more of that with the number of sharks in the southern part of lbi