foxfai

Weird damage happen with Penn Battle 4000

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

So this happened today when reeling in a sea robin. I was close but the fish fought one last time. I lift my rod and crank, then seems stuck, with a bit more lift power and another crank, this happened. I knew the reel is done for the day. Then opened up and saw this. I'd imagine the worm gear might have some damage too. Anyone ever had this happen? I have a lots of reel and never had one break the internal component. 

penn damage 1.jpg

Penn damage 2.jpg

They are all not made the way they used with better materials and workmanship.. Just replace the gears that are destroyed and get back to fishing..

8-CFT3000  also the same gear as a conflict.    about $6.  you might need the pinion gear, too, if those broken teeth got mashed inbetween the gears while cranking.

13 hours ago, foxfai said:

So this happened today when reeling in a sea robin. I was close but the fish fought one last time. I lift my rod and crank, then seems stuck, with a bit more lift power and another crank, this happened. I knew the reel is done for the day. Then opened up and saw this. I'd imagine the worm gear might have some damage too. Anyone ever had this happen? I have a lots of reel and never had one break the internal component. 

penn damage 1.jpg

Penn damage 2.jpg

From a sea robin?

How much use on that reel? Have you taken good care of it? That's crazy. 

13 hours ago, foxfai said:

penn damage 1.jpg

Penn damage 2.jpg

11 hours ago, jon_elc said:

the battle 4000 has the same main gear as 3000, the fierce 2 3000/4000, i think maybe even the Puruit 3  3000/4000.   

10 hours ago, jon_elc said:

8-CFT3000  also the same gear as a conflict.    about $6.  you might need the pinion gear, too, if those broken teeth got mashed inbetween the gears while cranking.

4 hours ago, glos said:

I thought that`s a myth, shredded main gear occurring.

From a sea robin? How much use or abuse on this reel? Did it get sand in it?

That does look horrible. Sorry that happened to you. I hope you had a back up. Always carry a back up.

I have a Penn Conflict II 4000 LC. On the body by the crank it says "CNC Gear Technology". Does this reel have the same "gear technology", type parts as the OP's Battle?

I hope this is just a rare occurrence on some w/ a flaw and not common place. 

I wonder if there's a way to avoid this happening?

I was warned against this purchase by the salesman at L & H. I was looking for a light weight true long cast 4000 size reel and didn't know of any other. If one exists I'll prolly buy it unless it's stupid $$ (i.e. unaffordable for me).

JD

13 mins ago, avet4life said:

Very normal on zinc gear ,,where the teeth of gear go some corrosion,, and strip the gear.

So you're saying corrosion was the culprit? This would imply that keeping these reels dry and out of the sand, and immediacy cleaning and relubing if they get dropped or dunked would be the cure?

Or, are they simply worthless junk that are all eventually going to fail sooner than latter under norma use?

JD

1. you have read this maybe over a 100 time, but pre grease reel help greatly ,, what do i mean, this is when new reel, open up and put thin layer of grease to protect .

2. yes it could be that corrosion in this issue, but also zinc gear are very soft, and strip easily .

3. yes any cleaning and oiling would help after each use, but ducking such reel would allow water in,, the are not seal reel.

4. just get another better and go back to fishing,,,, 

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:
1 hour ago, avet4life said:

1. you have read this maybe over a 100 time, but pre grease reel help greatly ,, what do i mean, this is when new reel, open up and put thin layer of grease to protect .

2. yes it could be that corrosion in this issue, but also zinc gear are very soft, and strip easily .

3. yes any cleaning and oiling would help after each use, but ducking such reel would allow water in,, the are not seal reel.

4. just get another better and go back to fishing,,,, 

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

From a sea robin?

How much use on that reel? Have you taken good care of it? That's crazy. 

From a sea robin? How much use or abuse on this reel? Did it get sand in it?

That does look horrible. Sorry that happened to you. I hope you had a back up. Always carry a back up.

I have a Penn Conflict II 4000 LC. On the body by the crank it says "CNC Gear Technology". Does this reel have the same "gear technology", type parts as the OP's Battle?

I hope this is just a rare occurrence on some w/ a flaw and not common place. 

I wonder if there's a way to avoid this happening?

I was warned against this purchase by the salesman at L & H. I was looking for a light weight true long cast 4000 size reel and didn't know of any other. If one exists I'll prolly buy it unless it's stupid $$ (i.e. unaffordable for me).

JD

So this reel never gets wet, period. Using it for light jigging from shore catching mostly seabass, fluke, scup etc. This reel didn't get much use until this year (ya COVID frees you some time to fish). I actually opened it up few weeks ago to check on a small binding thinking it needed to be greased. Checked everything and it's still smooth and I just left it. 

The reel is actually pretty sealed when I opened it. No issues that I can see. 

I've own cheaper reels and use them for tog fishing from shore but never had something like this happen to those reels. 

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

So this reel never gets wet, period. Using it for light jigging from shore catching mostly seabass, fluke, scup etc. This reel didn't get much use until this year (ya COVID frees you some time to fish). I actually opened it up few weeks ago to check on a small binding thinking it needed to be greased. Checked everything and it's still smooth and I just left it. 

The reel is actually pretty sealed when I opened it. No issues that I can see. 

I've own cheaper reels and use them for tog fishing from shore but never had something like this happen to those reels. 

Yes that really stinks.

JD

I did the same to 3 Battle 4000s fluke fishing before I gave up on them. None lasted a full season. I'd never buy another Battle.

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

So you're saying corrosion was the culprit? This would imply that keeping these reels dry and out of the sand, and immediacy cleaning and relubing if they get dropped or dunked would be the cure?

Or, are they simply worthless junk that are all eventually going to fail sooner than latter under norma use?

JD

When the first generation came out I picked up 2 of them and neither lasted a season before stripping the gears out.  Started out as skipping while under pressure and then eventually just locked up.  That being said I was blackfishing with them and had a tight drag most of the time, but they just didn't hold up as well as their shimano counterparts.  I dont think id say theyre worthless junk, for the person who fishes only a handful of times a year they may be perfect, but in my experience they do not hold up for long periods of time.  I know im not the only one who has had this experience.  

Nothing holds up forever, but there are certainly reels out there that will give you better bang for your buck, IMO.