Chipnice

Where to retire?

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

I heard North Carolina just signed a reparation agreement. That's gonna be costly and make north car. Not so inviting.   

I'm actually thinking moving out of but close to nj somewhere in pa maybe and renting those winter months instead of buying. Your free to go where you want and no worry about repairs etc.  Three or four months rental a year at about 3 to 5 a month is cheaper than maintaining a 2nd house in my opinion. 

That was Asheville. They've clearly lost their everlovin' minds. I refuse...I'll say it again, I refuse...to live in a state whose politics I cannot abide. 

On 7/16/2020 at 0:31 PM, Drew C. said:

Before this year, I would have only considered coastal locations but after my first year of trout fishing other options are out there. 

my wife has mentioned an rv and spending time in various places. That might work too. Have a ‘base’ home but travel around. That could work. 

This is also part of the plan. When I move to Montana, I'll sell the Wrangler and get a 4x4 pickup and a 16' Scamp camper and visit some national parks. I might try doing some southern parks in the winter. I'd also one year like spend a winter reading up and then go tour the Civil War battlefields in order. Maybe do the same thing with the rendezvous sites out West, or drive the Oregon trail. Things like that.

"The best laid plans"

My wife and I retired in 2008, and we decided we wanted to travel the U.S. so we bought an RV. Our first year we went out west for 12 weeks and had a great time in the Rockies. The next year we went south to the Keys and Florida for 4 weeks. the plan was to circumnavigate the United States so we bought a larger motor home. Well my wife became ill and that plan went down the tubes along with any extensive future travel in the motor home.

I live in Eastern Ma. and one year I shovel that white stuff every 4 days for a good part of the winter, I had had enough. So we have driven the motor home to the West coast of Florida for the past six or seven years, leaving the first of January, as my wife had to spend the holidays home with the grandchildren. Finally 2 winters ago, I decided that driving 1430 miles in January was getting old so we now leave the motorhome in Florida, and I drive down alone after Thanksgiving to get the motorhome ready and fly back for Christmas then the wife and I fly back to Fla. before New Years. I like winter in Florida, but by the end of April, when the A/C has to run 24/7 and the humidity is so unbearable we head back north. We are located in Ruskin, which is just south of Tampa, which is an agricultural area and very nice in the winter.

Last year a friend of mine who lives in Spring Hills and I booked 4 days of Tarpon fishing in the middle of June and the heat and humidity out on a 17 ft. flats boat all day nearly killed me. The saving grace was that I landed a 125# Tarpon and my buddy boated a 100# Tarpon on the last day of our charter. Fishing in Florida in the summer is nearly impossible. My buddy leaves the dock at sunrise and by 10am he is back home due to the heat.

My point in writing this is that if you can, retire early while your health is still good, as health issues with my wife have put a damper on our retirement as far as traveling. Don't get me wrong, we are still able to winter in the warm weather, but doing any travel is out of the question. Sorry for the long rant.

Unfortunately, I hear this way to often. 61 and my knees are going down hill fast. I feel the sooner the better. Just trying to lighten up on my accumulation of stuff. Unfortunately I keep buying more fishing stuff constantly. The motor home thing sounds fun.

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Unfortunately, I hear this way to often. 61 and my knees are going down hill fast. I feel the sooner the better. Just trying to lighten up on my accumulation of stuff. Unfortunately I keep buying more fishing stuff constantly. The motor home thing sounds fun.

Health is the wild card.

I’m 51 and have serious neck issues that were recently diagnosed. I also have back issues that are at least as bad and likely worse than my neck. They have effectively ended my saltwater spin fishing career. The nights of tripping over rocks and swinging 11’ rods is pretty much over. That combined with the current crash of all of our inshore fisheries here in the NE has gotten me looking elsewhere. It’s just a matter of my body holding up as I get closer to retirement. 

Pretty interesting thread...I've lived between Florida and NJ for the past decade and a half and I've been thinking of where my next move is.  I'm not anywhere near retirement but my son loves Florida and consideration for us is year round racing (karts for my son) and riding (dirt bikes for both of us and my wife...and soon I bet my daughter).  But fishing and ocean are important to me...can't do the Keys, it's dead there except for fishing and watersports/scuba so my wife would be bored to insanity (maybe me too...).  A friend of mine mentioned the Stuart/West Palm B./Jupiter area and I'm going to check it out...I'm sick and tired of the Northeast and liberal/progressive politics as well as winters where I can't fish and ride.  As hot as Florida can get I'm a hot weather person anyway and I've fished plenty of times on a skiff in the Keys in July and August, no problem with heat as long as I stay hydrated.  

On 7/17/2020 at 11:32 PM, Del Gue said:

That was Asheville. They've clearly lost their everlovin' minds. I refuse...I'll say it again, I refuse...to live in a state whose politics I cannot abide. 

This is a very important and IMO sometimes neglected criteria. I'm guessing from the lead in that I'm on the opposite end of the political spectrum from you, but moving to a place where at the age of sixty whatever you feel like you have to hold your tongue all the time is not the way to go. Weather, fish, etc. are important, but I know too many people who have moved somewhere and found it very difficult socially. I always advise my friends to rent someplace, attend the local town halls, read the local papers and websites and understand where you're going before you make that commitment. It's a big world, no need to limit yourself.

As a native eastern NC resident I can tell you that our summers last about five months, the first half is usually pleasant.  Around  the Fourth of July tropical air masses bring the humidity - it gets high as does the temperature and stays that way into early October.  Even as natives and knowing what to expect it gets old by early August and I find myself ready for fall.  We live on the Crystal Coast, my wife is retired, I’m still working (sell building materials all over eastern NC, east of Raleigh).  My wife has found lots of things she likes to do besides the beach and made friends with several retired woman - all moved here from somewhere else.

Hurricanes vary from Ho-Hum to devastating, just depends on the individual storm, where it lands, and how long it takes to move through.  Summers can be testy on the weekends, LOTS of folks in for the weekend and traffic gets pretty tied up - we don’t go to restaurants or across the bridge to the beach on the weekends.  Boating is busy on weekends, but we avoid the ramps (most are NCWRC ramps and are well built and free) as we have a slip just off the ICW in our neighborhood- having your own slip or a private neighborhood ramp is necessary if you want to avoid the crowded ramps - check on that when you look for a home.

Taxes are low by northeastern standards, but so are some services.  Make sure you have a good knowledge of what a septic system will cost to install before you jump on a lot - some land perks well, some doesn’t.  An anaerobic drip septic system will cost you about $25K to test out and install.  Hunting and fishing are very good - that’s what I spend my free time doing.  Good luck in your search; I’m coming up on my 65th birthday and plan to work 3 more years before retiring - I could retire anytime but I have a good gig.  OH

Ps. The reparations thing is City of Asheville only - Asheville is a Freak Show set in a beautiful setting.  Shame it has been taken over by freaks from all over the US - most of the locals I know have moved into the adjacent counties (which are all pretty normal).  Politically NC has become a Purple State - kind of back and forth over the last few decades - as more folks move in they bring more liberalism with them - can't stop progress!  Wish we could but we are stuck with them now.  OH

Stormy, 

Mebbeso we are on different ends. It serves no one's purpose to retire somewhere that's gonna cause your b/p to spike or give you heartburn or make you miserable being there. There's someplace for everybody. The important things are that we all love our country, and that if we disagree, we can do it in an agreeable fashion. Montana suits me on multiple levels, so that will be my destination. I think I can live and die happy in that state. I'm lookin' to spend my time trout fishin'. Folks that like the salt have many places that they can find happiness. Happiness fishing is also important! :-)

Old Hunter,

Colorado is the same as Asheville. Beautiful, but run by folks whose policies I do not care for. Pro-dope and anti-gun are dealbreakers for me. I had originally planned to move to Colorado after watching the mini-series 'Centennial' back in the 70's, but in the meantime Californians invaded the place, took over the government, and now I can't abide it, even though it may very well be the most beautiful state in the entire country. So Montana it is. A lot of Florida folks retire and move to N.C. The western mountains are pleasant enough, but I have my heart set on the Rocky by God Mountains. I have a small town picked out that will suit me just fine. I'm tired of people. The town has the things I need, and no more. A BBQ place, a pizza place, a McD's, a grocery open until 11 p.m., a gas station/sporting goods store, a few fly fishing shops, the interstate runs right by it, a mild clime, mountains, and trout waters and decent elk hunting. Such is the stuff dreams are made of!

Maybe the old adage is right. As long as we don't talk politics and religion, it's all good!

2 hours ago, Del Gue said:

Stormy, 

Mebbeso we are on different ends. It serves no one's purpose to retire somewhere that's gonna cause your b/p to spike or give you heartburn or make you miserable being there. There's someplace for everybody. The important things are that we all love our country, and that if we disagree, we can do it in an agreeable fashion. Montana suits me on multiple levels, so that will be my destination. I think I can live and die happy in that state. I'm lookin' to spend my time trout fishin'. Folks that like the salt have many places that they can find happiness. Happiness fishing is also important! :-)

Maybe the old adage is right. As long as we don't talk politics and religion, it's all good!

Different ends, but the same mindset, that works for me. I have a house on a lake in the mountains and a house near the ocean now. They are different in a lot of ways, and I resisted getting that lake house when my wife wanted it because I lived my whole life on the ocean. You learn things, that's the house I'm actually going to keep in retirement and sell the coastal one. But our friends up there are just a great fit for us, and I can be fishing salt in an hour. On a day like today in the high 90s and muggy on the coast you appreciate the mountain air. Saturday night I had my fly rod out for LMB with my next door neighbor, 73 yo VN vet from Florida. He was kicking my butt with rubber worms till the topwater action started at sunset. All things evened out come "gurgler time", then we went and drank beer with our wives. Religion and politics were not discussed much, and you're right; it was all good! I wish I knew more people like that!

On 7/16/2020 at 0:03 PM, Gilbey said:

My wife and I are in a similar spot. She has a great job in a solid industry and is trying to get me to retire early. She can telecommute from anywhere. She is pushing for the Outer Banks with a small place here in NJ since we will still have family here. Can someone tell me in a nutshell what the inshore/shore based fly fishing options there are in that area? 

I have lived on OBX since 1973--I can not recommend it.  Winters suck--lots of wind and humidity and no fish. Living here is more expensive than anywhere else in eastern NC.  I now only spend from mid May to first week of September there and Harkers Island the rest of the year.

This summer and spring there has been excellent wade fishing in the sounds for small reds --but our reds have a habit of only showing up every 3 to 4 years.  Some years there is good specks --kayakers do better I believe.  It is not what it was in the past.  Most years it is hard scrabble for wading anglers.  

I have not been there in the fall for 25 years so my intel is lacking  

For you out of the county dreamers : We lived part time in the Caribbean 12 years great fishing great weather , there are two seasons hot 10 months and rain 2 months . Health Care blows , getting medicine now you can get on line if it’s not stolen by mail . Remember your AMERICAN just because you speak the jive don’t bank on it fitting in is a bitch . Running a business is not easy I much rather have dealings with the Corolone family .