Chipnice

Where to retire?

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

I never thought I’d wanna leave nyc but lately it seems like the place has taken a few too many steps backward and it my gut tells me it’s gonna slowly get worse

i have a few years to grind before I can call it quits but in order to keep my sanity I’m exploring the salty east coast via internet to find my next move

im in love with New England especially Maine but headed north seems like a hard sell to the wife.  I have family in Sarasota and Stuart Florida which are both options but Im also very interested in the mid Atlantic states.

im looking to fly fish marshes 

do some offshore fishing 

Maybe upland bird,Duck,deer,hog, turkey hunt 

wouldn’t mind some recreational crabbing and clamming 
ive been looking into southeast Virginia and the Emerald Isle area of North Carolina 

but don’t really have any friends or family in those areas

any suggestions greatly appreciated 

pm if you wanna keep it secret 

thanks. Just trying to look forward in these tough times

My wife and I are in very early discussions. We are probably 9-10 years out. Based on saltwater fishing opportunities, pretty much everything here in the NE is pointless and I don’t see it improving.

Freshwater, Maine could be an option. My wife has interest in that but the cold is a bit much. I like Florida but my wife doesn’t. Carolinas could be an option. Good coastal fishing and good freshwater. Pacific NW might be interesting too but I doubt that will fly. 

one thing I know, staying here is NOT an option. 

I hate heat. No Florida retirement for me, though the wife thinks she'd like it.

Lefty Kreh was asked what part of the country he'd select as most likely to offer fishing 365 days a year. He said the Virginia/North Carolina border.

I’m also considering leaving the country. That’s a tough to impossible sell but I’m working on it. 

New Zealand is where I’d go. If it was just me, that would be it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

34 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’m also considering leaving the country. That’s a tough to impossible sell but I’m working on it. 

New Zealand is where I’d go. If it was just me, that would be it. 

They don't let people in. You need to become an Australian citizen first to even have a chance

Uruguay, the North Carolina of South America seems interesting

Fishing for Golden Dorado in the morning and pheasant hunting in the afternoon could be a nice way to spend retirement

Edited by Sudsy

Just now, Sudsy said:

They don't let people in. You need to become an Australian citizen first to even have a chance

I got time...

Australia looks good too. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

My wife and I are in very early discussions. We are probably 9-10 years out. Based on saltwater fishing opportunities, pretty much everything here in the NE is pointless and I don’t see it improving.

Freshwater, Maine could be an option. My wife has interest in that but the cold is a bit much. I like Florida but my wife doesn’t. Carolinas could be an option. Good coastal fishing and good freshwater. Pacific NW might be interesting too but I doubt that will fly. 

one thing I know, staying here is NOT an option. 

The PNW offers year round fishing, which is nice. With that said though and as a lifer, just like many places our fishing is nothing like it used to be.

The weather isn’t to hot or cold on the west side of the states and no hurricanes, tornados etc to deal with.

Once you cross the Cascades you’d be in a very arid climate totally opposite of the west side.

All the major cities are having problems now but I won’t go into that. Same story, different states.

I wish British Columbia was part of the US, as that is where I’d move to....still might someday. Probably a good thing it isn’t.

SF

I currently live in FL, east coast on the intercoastal, close to the ocean as well. Fishing is good but I grew up trout fishing and I miss it a lot. We pay a pretty high fee for home owners association and insurances and I’m thinking when I retire I want to move closer to my sons who reside in NY and NJ. I’m thinking northern Delaware might be nice. Never lived there but taxes are good. Anyone that lives northern DE, close to ocean it would be good to hear your perspective. The other spot I like but the wife won’t go would be Asheville NC area, mountains and great trout streams, no snow but a bit remote for the wife.

I'm going to be a little controversial, but say that if I was to move after living in New York City, I'd seriously consider the North Fork of Long Island.  Good climate (summer in Florida, and hurricanes there and on the Outer Banks, would not appeal to me), nice overall vibe, nice restaurants, the wineries and general agriculture orientation all make it a nice area.  Also easy access to good health care, something that's not always a given in parts of the south, and definitely not a given in many overseas spots.  Yes, there are tourists, but it's not the crazy, obnoxious Hamptons tourist scene.  It has ducks, if you bowhunt, it has deer, we may get a spring turkey season on Long Island (but don't have one yet), there are marshes, there is access to offshore.

The fishing is currently at a low point, but unless you want to fish for rats in the Chesapeake, striped bass won't be that much better anywhere else on the coast.  Fewer water quality issues than in many places in Florida, although not as many varieties of fish.

You don't escapte New York taxes or New York laws, both of which seem unduly burdensome, but the lifestyle has a lot to recommend it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Eastern North Carolina 12 months fishing and all the hunting you would ever want. We live in an active community ( happy wife happy life) on the Pamlico river 20 miles to Pamlico sound and 1 1/2 hours to the beach. Own a slip in the community. 

Edited by littletunnie

34 mins ago, CWitek said:

I'm going to be a little controversial, but say that if I was to move after living in New York City, I'd seriously consider the North Fork of Long Island.  Good climate (summer in Florida, and hurricanes there and on the Outer Banks, would not appeal to me), nice overall vibe, nice restaurants, the wineries and general agriculture orientation all make it a nice area.  Also easy access to good health care, something that's not always a given in parts of the south, and definitely not a given in many overseas spots.  Yes, there are tourists, but it's not the crazy, obnoxious Hamptons tourist scene.  It has ducks, if you bowhunt, it has deer, we may get a spring turkey season on Long Island (but don't have one yet), there are marshes, there is access to offshore.

The fishing is currently at a low point, but unless you want to fish for rats in the Chesapeake, striped bass won't be that much better anywhere else on the coast.  Fewer water quality issues than in many places in Florida, although not as many varieties of fish.

You don't escapte New York taxes or New York laws, both of which seem unduly burdensome, but the lifestyle has a lot to recommend it.

I love the north fork  

My wife and I are in a similar spot. She has a great job in a solid industry and is trying to get me to retire early. She can telecommute from anywhere. She is pushing for the Outer Banks with a small place here in NJ since we will still have family here. Can someone tell me in a nutshell what the inshore/shore based fly fishing options there are in that area? 

Cay Caulker... island off of Belize..... no taxes buy home fish right in front of you.....located south of trade winds so no hurricanes to worry about