bob_G

New bridges, state announces

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I believe it has to do with that the cape is mostly silty sand and not rock, so tunnels wouldn't be very stable or something along those lines.

I might have it backwards.


 

transpo tunnels aren't really tunnels, they're typically sections of steel reinforced precast concrete tube set on piles and joined together...they're not an option for the canal because of cost...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 7:07 PM, Reed422 said:

Big dig part ii?

 

On 7/19/2020 at 7:14 PM, b-ware said:

and 3, 4 and 5

the Big Dig gets a bad rap because of the price tag, but the engineering feats that were accomplished were nothing short of miraculous...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jettyjockey18 said:

 

the Big Dig gets a bad rap because of the price tag, but the engineering feats that were accomplished were nothing short of miraculous...

the corruption was nothing short of miraculous as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, JimP said:

the corruption was nothing short of miraculous as well.  

Blame Parsons...$2B fee for construction management...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, jettyjockey18 said:

Blame Parsons...$2B fee for construction management...

enough blame to go around.   

 

BTW, huge sections of the ceiling still falling down?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, JimP said:

enough blame to go around.   

 

BTW, huge sections of the ceiling still falling down?   

Just the one i'm aware of...when they inspected after the accident they found a few more, turns out the wrong epoxy was used for a few of the ceiling bolt holes...tragic no doubt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, jettyjockey18 said:

 

the Big Dig gets a bad rap because of the price tag, but the engineering feats that were accomplished were nothing short of miraculous...

I’m talking time frame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jettyjockey18 said:

transpo tunnels aren't really tunnels, they're typically sections of steel reinforced precast concrete tube set on piles and joined together...they're not an option for the canal because of cost...

Why not use a cut and cover construction like they did for the Ted Williams tunnel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Why not use a cut and cover construction like they did for the Ted Williams tunnel?

don't know...i would think canal currents would make installing the tunnel tube sections a challenge...plus they'd have to close the canal which might be a non-starter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.