bob_G

New bridges, state announces

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, b-ware said:

Personally I think it will be a lot longer than that. If any abutter, persons losing land, envirmentalists or utility decides to fight this project in the courts it could drag out a lot longer than 5 years

The recent changes to the environmental laws may change that ??

Honestly don't know, but it looks like any reviews need to be done in less than 2 years ?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/politics/national-environmental-policy-act-changes/index.html

I can't speak for Mass law,  but I suspect that it is like the law in NY. If the state wants your land, they make an offer. If you refuse, they take it anyway and you fight in court. A claim under an environmental act (State or Federal) can tie up a project for awhile, though.

I know some will laugh but why bridges? Why not replace them with tunnels under the canal and be done with it. The canal isn't very deep so they would not have to dig to heck and back plus they could use the existing approaches......

Posted (edited) · Report post

believe it or not, state environmental laws most likely wouldn't be an issue...there's already two bridges in place, the proposed project would only be bridge replacements right next to the originals...the originals would then be demo'd and you'd be left with only two bridges, albeit newer and bigger...the obligatory environmental reports would be needed, but those can be done in a year or two...

my former company designed and managed the construction of the new Tappan Zee bridge, it's obviously a bigger scale but similar concept...

any replacement of the Bourne Bridge would also require reconfiguring the Bourne rotary...my guess would be it would get chit-canned in favor of a flyover concept similar to the Sag, which coincidentally both my current and former Transpo Dept Managers worked on back in the day...

Edited by jettyjockey18

10 hours ago, robc22 said:

I know some will laugh but why bridges? Why not replace them with tunnels under the canal and be done with it. The canal isn't very deep so they would not have to dig to heck and back plus they could use the existing approaches......

Don't know ?

But a guess would be that 2 Six lane tunnels would be far more expensive and complicated to build.

Also I'd imagine they would have to have the entry and exit points far away form the Canal to get a reasonable slope etc.

Always found the engineering of these huge projects interesting, looking forward to seeing the bridge design.

290 took a three decker and a good chunk of land by eminent domain from my grandfather in Worcester 

Unsure what he was paid.  Subject was never spoken about

18 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I heard the 290 bridge by holy cross wasn't even touching the ground before they fixed it

I still recall the day the 290 bridge collapsed.  I was a sophomore in high school.  Rt 290 was still under construction.  The steel beams weren't fastened to anything. 

1 min ago, Joe G said:

290 took a three decker and a good chunk of land by eminent domain from my grandfather in Worcester 

Unsure what he was paid.  Subject was never spoken about

My grandmother lost her home was well. There's bridge right where her home was.

1 min ago, Joe G said:

Dorchester Street?

Dorchester Street was where she moved.  The home they took was on Endicott Street.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 0:15 AM, bob_G said:

Construction will not begin before five years at the earliest.

So translated, what does this really mean?

Traffic jams up the wazooo for the rest of your natural years.