What waders do you wear?

Rate this topic

BrianC86

First season surfcasting, and I’ve been able to get away with just hitting the beach in shorts, but after spending the better part of my morning trying to get the sand and water off myself on the commute to work I realized I should probably be better prepared. What do you guys use? Any recommendations? Primarily fishing sand beaches right now

2 hours ago, BrianC86 said:

First season surfcasting, and I’ve been able to get away with just hitting the beach in shorts, but after spending the better part of my morning trying to get the sand and water off myself on the commute to work I realized I should probably be better prepared. What do you guys use? Any recommendations? Primarily fishing sand beaches right now

Ive had almost every brand,,and they all suck. Not one of em stands the test of time..ask Bill Wetzel if ya don`t believe me.

Yes, they will all eventually leak. The difference might be between 1 or two years or 5 or 6 years.

Currently using L.L. Bean emerger. Had them for about 5 or 6 years now which is pretty good for stocking foot wadders that I wear on the rocks and through the woods. They're showing signs of wear and starting to leak. I may try to get through this fall with them if I can patch the leak(s).

I'm looking at the Simms Freestone as a replacement. I'd love the G4Z, but $850 for waders... Some might be able to do that but not me. Having rubber boat bibs w/ a heavy duty zipper all the way to the front has taught me the extreme convenience of having a zipper for ease of & on off, adding or removing layers, accessing pockets, and of course using the bathroom. 

I also have a pair of Bean boot foot emerges for sandy beaches. I've found it impossible to keep sand out of stocking foot boots, gravel cards or not. Plus, ease of on & off is pretty nice too. 

Good luck.

JD

24 mins ago, Matty123 said:

Frogg togg hellbenders 2 . Breathable and affordable. 

I bought a pair of Frogg Togg Hellbender felt sole waders in the spring because I could not find a pair of Bean or Orvis in size 13 with felt soles. I have been wearing the FTs since April and have been pleasantly surprised by them. The are cheap (in price), light, fit well and don't leak after some abuse and after about forty surf trips. They remind me a little of the old Gralite waders I used to wear many years ago. I would highly recommend them.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

lf your new to the sport and just starting l would buy Frogg Togg Hellbender felt sole waders l have had most of the brands my last pair LL Bean this year would have made its 3rd year and they are leaking from the knee down to where waders attach to the boot.

With that l bought a pair Frogg Togg Hellbender felt sole waders in the spring well-made waders from Wal-Mart $126.00 total shipped to the house in 2nd-day mail.

7 hours ago, cashews121 said:

Ive had almost every brand,,and they all suck. Not one of em stands the test of time..ask Bill Wetzel if ya don`t believe me.

Haha he’s definitely putting a lot more time into them than I will be

I love my Patagonia Zipper front waders.  Better overall construction, less expensive and far more durable than Simms.

I still love my Simms G3 wading boots, but I am tired of their over priced fragile waders.

"May your travels always take you to where the water meets the shore"