NJTramcar

Bucktail hair shortage?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I was running low on olive bucktail so I called.to place an order.

Sorry, we are out until fall with this and many colors.  Fewer people hunting due to Corona means fewer tails.

I called around and many places are out or the prices have gone up.  They say the same thing, supply is low due to Corona.

Who knew?

How interesting. Check with Bear's Den?

I don't know what synthetic best imitates bucktail, a nice taper is hard to find. Gents, any opinions?

Bear's Den was the first to tell me.  By the way, they are some of the nicest people there and the guy was very apologetic.  Hey, not his fault.

13 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Bear's Den was the first to tell me.  By the way, they are some of the nicest people there and the guy was very apologetic.  Hey, not his fault.

Can’t go wrong with them. If we need something and I’m going to get it online I look there first. 

Call Cotes Fly Shop in MA

508-892-3765

They had a ton of bucktails last time I was there a couple weeks ago.

Tell them Billy sent you. Great people, I know they ship.

I don't know where the OP lives, but Camp-Site in Huntington had an adequate supply as of two weeks ago. River Bay Outfitters (516-415-7748) ships; I don't know what they have right now.

This touches on an interesting question ... best synthetic replacement for bucktail? I dunno myself. I suspect Polarfibre, in its' various spellings, and fine craft fur, but I can't think of anything with a similar taper.

It's usually worth the effort to cut a tail when you see it on the road. I'd rather have piles of bucktails in my garage than have to worry about finding it.  

2 hours ago, JCH said:

Try Brad Buzzi.

His site shows many bucktails are out of stock but will try to contact him.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I don't know where the OP lives

Camp-Site in Huntington had an adequate supply as of two weeks ago. River Bay Outfitters (516-415-7748) ships;

New Jersey

Will check out those stores, thanks.

1 hour ago, WorcBoy said:

Call Cotes Fly Shop in MA

508-892-3765

They had a ton of bucktails last time I was there a couple weeks ago.

Tell them Billy sent you. Great people, I know they ship.

Thanks, will do.

5 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

It's usually worth the effort to cut a tail when you see it on the road. I'd rather have piles of bucktails in my garage than have to worry about finding it.  

Is there a certain way to process/dry them out? I'm going to try to stockpile some tails this december.

22 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

I was running low on olive bucktail so I called.to place an order.

Sorry, we are out until fall with this and many colors.  Fewer people hunting due to Corona means fewer tails.

I called around and many places are out or the prices have gone up.  They say the same thing, supply is low due to Corona.

Who knew?

But..... I thought hunting for deer was in the fall, early winter. So where was Covid-19 last December in North America? Certainly not present enough to stop deer hunting. So why should supply be low? 

22 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Fewer people hunting due to Corona means fewer tails.

Not likely to be the reason. 

Corona pretty much didnt happen until hunting season was over.   If you are talking actual Buck tail (deer) there are no hunting seasons after Feb, and most end prior to that.