New here, from Long Island.

Rate this topic

jbentham84

Hi,

First post here, my wife and I just moved from Oregon to Long Island (for work) and we are hardcore fly fisherman but have really only fished for Trout being from Oregon. We are now getting the striper fever and want to chase them bad. We tie our own flys and have plenty of gear but our question is more where to go. We did some fishing in Moriches and my first landed fish was a 22-24" striper. Next weekend I caught four in quick order but all were 12-16". I know its a little late in the season before fall but is there anywhere to go and still catch stripers this time of year? I'm still trying to put her on her first salt fish and it doesn't matter what size. Any help would be insanely appreciated and I'm not trying to steal anyone's spot or anything but I just want her to catch her first striper. Thank you in advance!

We have plenty of gear just need to know where to go!

Asquith 8wt x 2 w/Nautilus CCFX2 x 2

Asquith 10wt x 2 w/Nautilus CCFX2 x 2

Asquith 11wt x 2 w/Nautilus CCFX2 and Nautilus GTFX

IMG_4804.JPG

Edited by jbentham84

We are in Huntington Station but are not afraid of a drive if the fishing is good. Obviously we'd love to find some places close so we can go after work etc. That being said if it's a weekend and the fish are there we will be too 

We have tried Centerport beach (about 20 mins from us) twice now to no avail other than some fluke on a Clouser 

So far Moriches has been the best but inconsistent to say the least. Lot of driving for only two good days 

Edited by jbentham84

Waters are pretty warm right now to be fishing the northside.  Best to plan a day at a south shore beach and bring the rods with you.  You can wade wet this time of year as the water is not like Oregon’s.   Brrrr !

Welcome! Great places to fish all over the island. Mostly salt, but some really good fresh water, but definitely not Oregon streams. North shore is a good place to start. You already have a good spot in Centerport. Travel a little more East, Crab Meadow beach, Sunken Meadow beach, there are lots. Especially with the fly rod. Go to Camp-Site Sport Shop on New York Ave. Very close to where you live. Great place for all your needs and good people to help you guys out with some fishing spots. 

NYState.gov is a good resource for all maps and places to go. Good luck and welcome, and do not forget Montauk Point. 

I’m a little west of you and also just got started in the salt. Basically grab a map and look for a beach. There are spots up in Glen Cove (Welwyn Preserve) and closer to the Queens border (Manhasset Bay) that have active fishing spots if you want to try going west for a change. Although I haven’t been there yet, I think the west end of Jones Beach sees a fair amount of fishing. You’re literally surrounded by fishing! 

Target Rock NWR is north of you in Lloyd Neck. Good beach access and free....and a short drive to plenty of great restaurants in Huntington village. 

Campsite is a good referral. There’s also a small shop in Baldwin, Riverbay Outfitters and then you’re sort of out of luck for fly specific shops until you’re way out East or up in CT. The big box stores are hit or miss depending on the experience of the person working that day. 

Welcome to NY. 

At this time of year, you fish from dusk through dawn. Watch out for town beaches outside your own; for example, the beach at Goldsmith's Inlet is patrolled by locals who will call the Town the instant they see a license plate. If you like hopping on jetties, Moriches, Shinnecock and then Montauk will shortly see their usual brief shots at little tunny and perhaps bonito.  And don't forget to post your joke in the thread at the top, or you will regularly suffer unexplained knot failures.

It's a little tough starting out during the summer, because as people have noted, the best fishing is at night and you can't get into the state parks without a night fishing permit, and the window for getting them this spring has closed; they'll be available again after Labor Day.  

So you can fish the places mentioned above, at the times when they are available to you, and then get the night permit in September, which will open up a number of additional spots you can fish during the fall run.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

You do not need to travel far. a little east and a little west, you will be into strippers during the day. Night time is the right time, but until then with the fly, shorts are a lot of fun. Travel directly south to the beaches and back bays. Plenty of good day time spots. 

You guys are an enormous help, I can't thank you enough. As far as Camp Site goes, I've already been in there about 12 times in the last three weeks haha. I will check out some more on the south side of the island. I think we are going to go back to Moriches tomorrow and see what we can kick up. 

Apart from summer being more difficult from shore it is best you know that the Striper is in trouble due to over prosecution and envoiramental factors.

Your best bet of a double figure fish is at night in a mark which is likely to have a strong current and bait fish present.

You can shorten your learning curve by reading Lou Tabory’s book and Rich Murphy’s.

In spite of the weak state of the resource it should not be very difficult to find a Striper  or two.

There are many similarities to river fishing.

A plastic line tray will be very very helpful to practically essential. Orvis do one which many of us default to. It works quite well. Not all line trays cut it.

mike

19 hours ago, jbentham84 said:

Hi,

First post here, my wife and I just moved from Oregon to Long Island (for work) and we are hardcore fly fisherman but have really only fished for Trout being from Oregon. We are now getting the striper fever and want to chase them bad. We tie our own flys and have plenty of gear but our question is more where to go. We did some fishing in Moriches and my first landed fish was a 22-24" striper. Next weekend I caught four in quick order but all were 12-16". I know its a little late in the season before fall but is there anywhere to go and still catch stripers this time of year? I'm still trying to put her on her first salt fish and it doesn't matter what size. Any help would be insanely appreciated and I'm not trying to steal anyone's spot or anything but I just want her to catch her first striper. Thank you in advance!

We have plenty of gear just need to know where to go!

Asquith 8wt x 2 w/Nautilus CCFX2 x 2

Asquith 10wt x 2 w/Nautilus CCFX2 x 2

Asquith 11wt x 2 w/Nautilus CCFX2 and Nautilus GTFX

IMG_4804.JPG

If your on them now with sunny skies they will come to you when the sun goes down . By the looks of your photo there is running water over your right shoulder . Start there 

If it has fins i want to catch it